• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benelli Forums
Sigma05

M4 Final Setup

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Makes sense. I was going to recommend loading from belt mounted clips like the California Competition holder and removing the shell carrier. Every shell you add to the gun adds 2 ounces. Loading from these types of holders is faster than cherry picking from a shell carrier  since you’re loading 2 or 3 shells per grab depending on hand size. Some guys are even grabbing 4 at a time. Figure you have half a pound of ammo in the carrier plus the weight of the carrier. It’s not so much the weight, but how it affects how you can swing the gun from target to target  

I didn’t see what magazine tube you had installed. Is it a titanium model? That’ll cut another 5.5 ounces off the front end if that hasn’t been done. Reportedly, Briley is making a carbon fiber magazine tube. I haven’t seen any weight data yet though.

Those Hayl rails are comfortable, but the attachment system sucks. Using set screws is a terrible design. Briley is releasing their rail soon, which promises to be a better design. 

I like to be able to pick up the shotgun and have as much ammo on it as possible. I’m not always wearing something that allows me to put stuff in my belt. Winning matches is not my priority. I use them as training and getting me out of my comfort zone. 

I agree on the Hayl handguard, but until something better becomes available, it works for me. :)

Edited by Sigma05

First, thanks for the great post (with pictures no less). I really enjoy it when members take the time to create informative posts, then follow up by answering questions.

Have to say, “reasonably priced” fore ends (that work well) seem to have become a thing of the past with M4s. I almost ordered this product on-sight after reading your post and seeing that it was available in FDE.

But then I saw (for lack of a better term) “set screws” holding the fore end in place. That gave me pause. I regularly shoot my M4 (now, 2000+ rounds), so using it,  breaking it down, and cleaning it is a regular issue. Looks like the product video shows applying mild loctite as part of the install. Here are my concerns:

(1) Given that the product uses “set screws” to maintain position, have you had any problems with fore end rotation or movement after the install, especially after a “range day” of shooting?

(2) If you’ve shot your M4 regularly after the install, have you noticed any issues with the “set screws” moving, creating damage, or otherwise causing a nuisance after the install?

(3) Do you use a mild loctite with the “set screws” and, if so, have you had any complications when removing the fore end for cleaning?  

Advice appreciated and respected!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DC DOG said:

First, thanks for the great post (with pictures no less). I really enjoy it when members take the time to create informative posts, then follow up by answering questions.

Have to say, “reasonably priced” fore ends (that work well) seem to have become a thing of the past with M4s. I almost ordered this product on-sight after reading your post and seeing that it was available in FDE.

But then I saw (for lack of a better term) “set screws” holding the fore end in place. That gave me pause. I regularly shoot my M4 (now, 2000+ rounds), so using it,  breaking it down, and cleaning it is a regular issue. Looks like the product video shows applying mild loctite as part of the install. Here are my concerns:

(1) Given that the product uses “set screws” to maintain position, have you had any problems with fore end rotation or movement after the install, especially after a “range day” of shooting?

(2) If you’ve shot your M4 regularly after the install, have you noticed any issues with the “set screws” moving, creating damage, or otherwise causing a nuisance after the install?

(3) Do you use a mild loctite with the “set screws” and, if so, have you had any complications when removing the fore end for cleaning?  

Advice appreciated and respected!

1. First time I installed it, it did move while practicing dummy loading. It was because I had only slightly tightened it. After that I tightened it down well and it hasn’t budged after many life fire training sessions and a match. I’m easily over 1000 rounds with it on. Make sure you tighten down the magazine tube cap first, and check that barrel is seated properly against receiver, before tightening set screws. Otherwise the front set screws will sit on the edge of the front mounting location.

2. They have not moved. They do leave a small “dimple” in the finish of the front set screws. Doesn’t bother me but it could bother some. I actually went and made a small recess with the Dremel, so that the set screws have a fixed location to grab. 

3. I used blue loctite and it has worked well. Hasn’t loosened, and wasn’t an issue removing forend. I have removed it several times and haven’t had to reapply loctite yet. 

Like many, I agree that it’s not a great setup with the set screws, but I do like the feel of the grip and Mlok feature. Until something better comes out, this has been doing the job well, despite having to use tools to strip down the shotgun. 

Edited by Sigma05
  • Upvote 1