Non-lead .338 wm ammo?

Planetcat

I know this is a long shot shot on this deader-than-dead forum, but I can’t get my .338 wm R1 to get decent groups (<1” at 50 yards) with 210 gr. Barnes, .225 gr. Federeal trophy copper, or 185 gr. Hornady gmx. All three shoot radically different groups - all mediocre. I had my barrel cryo treated again at 300 below, and it seems to allow me to shoot about 10 shots now before the barrel heat affects accuracy as opposed to 3-4 shots with factory barrel. Thats not the issue though, I just cant get decent groups with any non-lead ammo that I can find regularly. Buffalo bore makes 250 gr barnes, but that is a lot of bullet for hogs, deer, and black bear. Plus its expensive! I’m at a quandary. Any other suggestions? I dont reload. Also, my stupid restrictive state says i have to hunt with non lead ammo. 200 gr sst’s shoot great out of it. Her’s a picture of a nice sow I shot a few months ago with 200 grain SST ammo. She was drt at 150 yards.

FF0E3F3A-4683-40BF-A0CF-9227B008A6B6.jpeg

Hey planetcat,  I have had similar issues with my 300wsm. It did not like copper bullets (at all) and  only gets mediocre groups with premium non-monolithic factory ammo.  What kinda groups u getting with SSTs?  

Nice sow!

Edited by Thunder90

1 hour ago, Thunder90 said:

Hey planetcat,  I have had similar issues with my 300wsm. It did not like copper bullets (at all) and  only gets mediocre groups with premium non-monolithic factory ammo.  What kinda groups u getting with SSTs?  

Nice sow!

Thanks Thunder. I’ve found that my rifles made in Europe don’t like the non-lead bullets. Three R1’s(.30-06, .300wm, .338) browning bar .308, and winchester .308 and .338wm made by FN. All have mediocre and/or inconsistent groups using barnes, trophy copper, and gmx ammo. I bet if I reloaded, i could dial them in. I’m getting sub 1” at 100 yards using .338 wm 200 grain superformance  sst’s. The .30-06 and .300 wm R1 are over 12 years old and I get very good results with 180 grain bullets (Hornady interbond, federal blue box soft points, and fusions).