Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benelli Forums
Milspec

New to the forum M4 on the way

Hello, new to the forum and shotguns to an extent.  I’m well versed in rifles and pistols but have only shot shotguns a few times.

Basically I’m a fish out of water.  I’m trying to find out if there is a do all choke that will provide good results with 00 buck and occasional slugs.  Max distance  50 feet but mostly 20-30ft.  

I’ll primarily be punching paper and eventually steel when I get some.

Are their any brands of ammo I should stay away from?  In rifles a lot of us stay away from bi-metal jackets etc.  I know this doesn’t apply to shotgun rounds.  I just don’t know if there are similar concerns here.

I’m open to choke, ammo and any other suggestions.  How is surplus shotgun ammo?  Those of you that increase capacity, do you go with 7 round mag tubes etc?  Or, do you prefer tube extensions?  The questions could go on and on.

I like modified for that... though some might suggest improved cylinder if you'll be shooting slugs more often.

In the beginning avoid cheap birdshot until you've broken in the springs for a bit.  I generally shoot federal buckshot and slugs... but I can't think of any horrendous ammo.  Lately I've carried brenneke and ddupleks slugs due to bear concerns.

I prefer a single tube... though you'll have to remove that pesky red loctite to get the original one out.  If that's a concern the extensions work fine.

There's a lot of info on the website... some images might be down from the older posts but that's usually not too big of an issue to deal with.

Enjoy your new boomstick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milspec said:

Hello, new to the forum and shotguns to an extent.  I’m well versed in rifles and pistols but have only shot shotguns a few times.

Basically I’m a fish out of water.  I’m trying to find out if there is a do all choke that will provide good results with 00 buck and occasional slugs.  Max distance  50 feet but mostly 20-30ft.  

I’ll primarily be punching paper and eventually steel when I get some.

Are their any brands of ammo I should stay away from?  In rifles a lot of us stay away from bi-metal jackets etc.  I know this doesn’t apply to shotgun rounds.  I just don’t know if there are similar concerns here.

I’m open to choke, ammo and any other suggestions.  How is surplus shotgun ammo?  Those of you that increase capacity, do you go with 7 round mag tubes etc?  Or, do you prefer tube extensions?  The questions could go on and on.

I picked my M1014 up on June 19th (pistol owner but was my first shotgun), this forum has been most helpful to Scout’s point. 

If you search and don’t find what you’re looking for, just start a new thread with your question. 

As maybe the newest member to the M4 Club myself, welcome (and I hope you’ve set a budget for modifications that you’ll stick to).

-Rex 

• Like 1

The LE mag tube (Benelli OEM) is steel and parkerized (???).  Some commercial options (with carrier comp being highly recommended) use titanium so you save weight and have fewer corrosion concerns.  There are other good commercial steel and titanium options too... I'm just not sure which ones are currently being made

• Upvote 1

Benelli makes a “commercial” version.  That’s why I asked.   Interesting.

Oh... well the commercial tube at midwest gun works is the original 5rd one.  I'm not familiar with a benelli commercial 7rd tube...

• Like 1

WRT ammo, even within the same model shotguns vary in terms of how they pattern different ammo.

I'd been using basic remington 00 Buck; but saw a profound difference in pattern (i.e. tighter) going to Winchester Super-X 00 Buck. Make sure to throw some into the mix if testing ammo with the stock choke.

• Like 1

I mainly use Sellier & Bellot   2  3/4 00buck 9 pellots with mine and have zero issues. You can find it on sale all the time for 89.00 for 250 rounds. I just finished my first box and they all went bang and had zero issues. I also have found that Winshester rifled slugs group pretty well at 25 yards. I did change my choke from modified to improved 4 notches just because i'm doing what you want to do. Mainly buckshot and every now and then some slugs. Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 6:05 PM, Scout_21 said:

Oh... well the commercial tube at midwest gun works is the original 5rd one.  I'm not familiar with a benelli commercial 7rd tube...

Ahh, that explains it.  5rd=commercial.  That’s exactly what I was looking at.  The mag tubes at Midwest.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Redweirdbeard said:

I mainly use Sellier & Bellot   2  3/4 00buck 9 pellots with mine and have zero issues. You can find it on sale all the time for 89.00 for 250 rounds. I just finished my first box and they all went bang and had zero issues. I also have found that Winshester rifled slugs group pretty well at 25 yards. I did change my choke from modified to improved 4 notches just because i'm doing what you want to do. Mainly buckshot and every now and then some slugs. Hope this helps.  

What brand of improved choke did you get?  If you don’t mind me asking.

Edited by Milspec

6 minutes ago, Milspec said:

Ahh, that explains it.  5rd=commercial.  That’s exactly what I was looking at.  The mag tubes at Midwest.

For some reason I was under the impression that the commercial was 7rds. It doesn’t say that anywhere.  It was all in my head.  Lol

I guess the photo threw me.