New to the forum M4 on the way

Milspec

Hello, new to the forum and shotguns to an extent.  I’m well versed in rifles and pistols but have only shot shotguns a few times.

Basically I’m a fish out of water.  I’m trying to find out if there is a do all choke that will provide good results with 00 buck and occasional slugs.  Max distance  50 feet but mostly 20-30ft.  

I’ll primarily be punching paper and eventually steel when I get some.

Are their any brands of ammo I should stay away from?  In rifles a lot of us stay away from bi-metal jackets etc.  I know this doesn’t apply to shotgun rounds.  I just don’t know if there are similar concerns here.

I’m open to choke, ammo and any other suggestions.  How is surplus shotgun ammo?  Those of you that increase capacity, do you go with 7 round mag tubes etc?  Or, do you prefer tube extensions?  The questions could go on and on.

I like modified for that... though some might suggest improved cylinder if you'll be shooting slugs more often.

In the beginning avoid cheap birdshot until you've broken in the springs for a bit.  I generally shoot federal buckshot and slugs... but I can't think of any horrendous ammo.  Lately I've carried brenneke and ddupleks slugs due to bear concerns.

I prefer a single tube... though you'll have to remove that pesky red loctite to get the original one out.  If that's a concern the extensions work fine.

There's a lot of info on the website... some images might be down from the older posts but that's usually not too big of an issue to deal with.

Enjoy your new boomstick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milspec said:

Hello, new to the forum and shotguns to an extent.  I’m well versed in rifles and pistols but have only shot shotguns a few times.

Basically I’m a fish out of water.  I’m trying to find out if there is a do all choke that will provide good results with 00 buck and occasional slugs.  Max distance  50 feet but mostly 20-30ft.  

I’ll primarily be punching paper and eventually steel when I get some.

Are their any brands of ammo I should stay away from?  In rifles a lot of us stay away from bi-metal jackets etc.  I know this doesn’t apply to shotgun rounds.  I just don’t know if there are similar concerns here.

I’m open to choke, ammo and any other suggestions.  How is surplus shotgun ammo?  Those of you that increase capacity, do you go with 7 round mag tubes etc?  Or, do you prefer tube extensions?  The questions could go on and on.

I picked my M1014 up on June 19th (pistol owner but was my first shotgun), this forum has been most helpful to Scout’s point. 

If you search and don’t find what you’re looking for, just start a new thread with your question. 

As maybe the newest member to the M4 Club myself, welcome (and I hope you’ve set a budget for modifications that you’ll stick to).

-Rex 

• Like 1

The LE mag tube (Benelli OEM) is steel and parkerized (???).  Some commercial options (with carrier comp being highly recommended) use titanium so you save weight and have fewer corrosion concerns.  There are other good commercial steel and titanium options too... I'm just not sure which ones are currently being made

• Upvote 1

WRT ammo, even within the same model shotguns vary in terms of how they pattern different ammo.

I'd been using basic remington 00 Buck; but saw a profound difference in pattern (i.e. tighter) going to Winchester Super-X 00 Buck. Make sure to throw some into the mix if testing ammo with the stock choke.

• Like 1

I mainly use Sellier & Bellot   2  3/4 00buck 9 pellots with mine and have zero issues. You can find it on sale all the time for 89.00 for 250 rounds. I just finished my first box and they all went bang and had zero issues. I also have found that Winshester rifled slugs group pretty well at 25 yards. I did change my choke from modified to improved 4 notches just because i'm doing what you want to do. Mainly buckshot and every now and then some slugs. Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 6:05 PM, Scout_21 said:

Oh... well the commercial tube at midwest gun works is the original 5rd one.  I'm not familiar with a benelli commercial 7rd tube...

Ahh, that explains it.  5rd=commercial.  That’s exactly what I was looking at.  The mag tubes at Midwest.

4 hours ago, Redweirdbeard said:

I mainly use Sellier & Bellot   2  3/4 00buck 9 pellots with mine and have zero issues. You can find it on sale all the time for 89.00 for 250 rounds. I just finished my first box and they all went bang and had zero issues. I also have found that Winshester rifled slugs group pretty well at 25 yards. I did change my choke from modified to improved 4 notches just because i'm doing what you want to do. Mainly buckshot and every now and then some slugs. Hope this helps.  

What brand of improved choke did you get?  If you don’t mind me asking.

Edited by Milspec

6 minutes ago, Milspec said:

Ahh, that explains it.  5rd=commercial.  That’s exactly what I was looking at.  The mag tubes at Midwest.

For some reason I was under the impression that the commercial was 7rds. It doesn’t say that anywhere.  It was all in my head.  Lol

I guess the photo threw me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 10:53 AM, Scout_21 said:

The LE mag tube (Benelli OEM) is steel and parkerized (???).  Some commercial options (with carrier comp being highly recommended) use titanium so you save weight and have fewer corrosion concerns.  There are other good commercial steel and titanium options too... I'm just not sure which ones are currently being made

RPC -

I've been running Nordic Components aluminum 7 round 1-piece mag tube and and extension tube beyond the barrel lug  for several years now.  Much cheaper than the TIT mag tubes.  Their website can be a little confusing when deciding what exactly you need to order so I called them.  Very helpful and entertaining to listen to mag tubes rolling and banging around the shop as the tech screwed some stuff together on an M4 to see if it all worked right.  It did.  I ended up with a 7 round replacement tube and an extension to bring me to 12+1 initially but had to step it down to 10+1 when California started getting stupid.  Now they are REAL stupid.

I can't remember how much the 7 round mag tube weighed when I threw it on the scale but it was twice the advertised weight of the Carrier Comp and Freedom Fighter TIT tubes..., both of which I have on order.

Ok, just went back to Nordic's website and I'm not sure if they make a 7 round replacement tube anymore.  Mucho confuso.  You'll need to call them like I did years ago.

Dave's Metal Works does have a 1 piece replacement tube that they call a: "M4 1 piece 2 Round Replacement Tube. Price $74.98 Length 18 1/8" Capacity 7+1 
Increases the capacity of Your M4 shotgun by two rounds. made from seamless chrome-moly steel tubing in a matte black color to match the finish of your weapon. Kit includes the tube and correct length spring: everything necessary to convert your M4 to 7+1 Capacity"

Hope this helps, Birdog

RPC -

There are a lot of good dudes on this forum with great experience and advice for you and your M4.  Like many firearms, now that you've spent a lot of money on it, it is time to spend just about as much (or more) in making it just the way you want it!

Pics below are kind'a average shots.  May have to go to full screen on your 'puter for a better view.  The mag tube pictured is 10 rounder.  Obviously the 12 round is longer.  No shot touches the mag tube although it does get dirty from powder.  Shotguns being "street sweepers" or "broomsticks" is a bit of a misnomer though it's fun to call them that!  My M4 with a cylinder choke (meaning no restriction at all)  patterns around 14" across using bird shot at 10-15 yards.  I can't remember specific numbers but it's not exactly a sweeper by any means.  Another misnomer is you don't have to aim it, just shoot from the hip and you'll get your hits.  Not true at all.  While I have not patterned by gun using buckshot, I need to.  My guess is the pattern will be even tighter.

What is the main purpose of your M4?  Sport?  Home defense?  Both? 

I'm working on making it for both 3-Gun (just the local guys at the range) and HD. 

If you are going to increase the guns capacity, you will need to make the weapon 922(r) compliant by switching out 3 or more Benelli OEM parts with parts made in the USA.  WTF you say?!!  I know.., crazy.  Go to Freedom Fighter Tactical's home page or  https://freedomfightertactical.com/pages/922r-faq to get the specifics and at the bottom you'll see a link that walks you through the BATF law and what specific parts can be replaced to make it compliant.

• My Gun is heavy at almost 9.5 pounds...Empty!
  • I've added a Streamlight TLR-2 HL with red laser and light combo mounted on an Impact Weapons Component (IWC) mount .  I've not run the gun with this set-up yet so the jury is still out. 
  • The side saddle from Mesa Tactical adds a bit of weight and is not suitable for me for 3-Gun.  Might be good for HD though as mounting up extra shells in my tighty whities at 0200 is not practical.  The picatinny rail is integrated into the side saddle so you need to take the OEM rail off.
  • The Red dot is a Burris Fast Fire III.  I don't care for the ghost ring sights no matter how sexy they look in pics.  One could argue the practicality of fumbling to turn on a red dot with a massive adrenaline dump during a home invasion.  It's great for 3-Gun though. 
  • Mag tubes are Nordic Components as I've mentioned.  I've got lighter ones on order through FFT and Carrier Comp (CC).
  • There are other after market internals like the mag follower, shell carrier TTI (Taran Tactical Innovations) and trigger/hammer/disconnector (all FFT)
  • I'll get laughed at for this but the bolt release is made by Redneck Tactical.  It's a very simple but effective design (think redneck!).  It slips between the right hand guard and the hand guard receptacle.  When you disassemble the gun it falls free.

All for now.

Take care, Birdog

1111251730_MyM4Left.thumb.jpg.a6ccee988f18feca1c10bf2fc46b53e8.jpg

2079167443_MyM4Right.thumb.jpg.13f597f119bf48ea07a82c58080cba78.jpg

37 minutes ago, Birdog19 said:

• The Red dot is a Burris Fast Fire III.  I don't care for the ghost ring sights no matter how sexy they look in pics.  One could argue the practicality of fumbling to turn on a red dot with a massive adrenaline dump during a home invasion.  It's great for 3-Gun though. 

Get an RMR, SRO or Aimpoint Micro and you’ll be able to keep it on 24/7/356. I swap the batteries on my birthday and never turn it off. Always on when I need it. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sigma05 said:

Get an RMR, SRO or Aimpoint Micro and you’ll be able to keep it on 24/7/356. I swap the batteries on my birthday and never turn it off. Always on when I need it. 

Sigma you just turned my whole upgrade build plan upside down!  I have an RMR on my home built P80 Glock but I never realized it had that kinda battery life.  Just checked their website and sure enough, 2-5 years depending.  I might have to rethink the Streamlight light/laser combo for just a light and RMR.

THANKS!  Birdog

27 minutes ago, Birdog19 said:

Sigma you just turned my whole upgrade build plan upside down!  I have an RMR on my home built P80 Glock but I never realized it had that kinda battery life.  Just checked their website and sure enough, 2-5 years depending.  I might have to rethink the Streamlight light/laser combo for just a light and RMR.

THANKS!  Birdog

That’s why I went that route when somebody else informed me. Thought I’d share it since it’s quite a game changer when it comes to choosing self defense optics. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...