Can get trigger group back in M4

Milspec

I removed the standard stock and installed the pistol grip stock in it's place.

After countless attempts I still can't get the trigger group back in.  The holes do not line up in the receiver and I can't get the take down pin in.

It's not off by much.  It appears that the trigger group isn't far back enough into the stock assembly. 

I've given it some gentle taps, raps but I don't want to beat on it.

I have also tried adjusting the stock and backing it off a revolution or two.  I was hoping it might allow the t-group to slide back a bit further.

No luck!

1 minute ago, Steve Rose said:

Loosen a bit more, or better yet remove the stock, then install the trigger group and its pins. Now reattach the stock. (The stock is impeding the trigger groups from seating into place where the trigger housing contacts the stock)

I'll take a look.  I don't think the stock will fully seat with the group installed.  I believe a tab on group locks the stock in place.

9 minutes ago, Steve Rose said:

Loosen a bit more, or better yet remove the stock, then install the trigger group and its pins. Now reattach the stock. (The stock is impeding the trigger groups from seating into place where the trigger housing contacts the stock)

You can’t do that on the M4. The trigger has a slot that goes into the stock. It’s what stops the stock from coming loose.  If you install trigger before stock, you won’t be able to install the stock because the trigger will get in the way. 

So, after an hour of hand fitting the stock (on off, on off, on off etc.) it's on.  Definitely, tight but I bet it will loosen up after I put a few rounds through.

What was I reading about Benelli's being built so precisely??  ?

Edited by Milspec

All you needed to do (and it sounds like you still should) was carefully sand or file off some material from the curved portion of the stock that butts up to the rear and follows the contour of the trigger guard. The stocks are a moulded item and as such more often than not, they require a little fitting in this area in order to gain enough clearance room for the trigger housing to drop in. Rounds down range won't help the situation. 

Edited by Evolution
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Evolution said:

All you needed to do (and it sounds like you still should) was carefully sand or file off some material from the curved portion of the stock that butts up to the rear and follows the contour of the trigger guard. The stocks are a moulded item and as such more often than not, they require a little fitting in this area in order to gain enough clearance room for the trigger housing to drop in. Rounds down range won't help the situation. 

Thanks for the feed back.  Yes, I’ve done some light sanding with fine sandpaper.  I’ll probably do a bit more tonight and it should be perfect.

i wish I thought of it earlier.  I was fiddling with it for an hour before I figured out the issue.

i probably installed and removed the trigger group 30 times!  

Just make sure you don't remove much material. If you make it too loose, the stock will be able to tighten and untighten to the extent of how much you've opened up the notch. You want it to be tight. Extra care should be taken timing the stock. Even being slightly out of alignment can cause interference.

• Like 2