LEFT HANDED SAFETY FOR NOVA

GUGGISBERG

Originally posted by GUGGISBERG:

I HAVE A BENELLI NOVA WHICH I DEARLY LOVE, HOWEVER, I SHOOT LEFT HANDED AND THE SAFETY IS DRIVING ME CRAZY..I AM TOLD BY A LOCAL GUN SMITH THAT BENELLI DOES NOT HAVE A LEFT HAND SAFETY TO CHANGE OUT AND THAT THE PRESENT ON WILL NOT REVERSE. CAN AMYONE HELP??

the safety is reversible.strip the trigger assemby down to the top of the safety,depress the detent below the safety with a slim pick or paper clip,

slide out the safety and reverse it.

Originally posted by top gun:

quote:

I HAVE A BENELLI NOVA WHICH I DEARLY LOVE, HOWEVER, I SHOOT LEFT HANDED AND THE SAFETY IS DRIVING ME CRAZY..I AM TOLD BY A LOCAL GUN SMITH THAT BENELLI DOES NOT HAVE A LEFT HAND SAFETY TO CHANGE OUT AND THAT THE PRESENT ON WILL NOT REVERSE. CAN AMYONE HELP??

the safety is reversible.strip the trigger assemby down to the top of the safety,depress the detent below the safety with a slim pick or paper clip,

quote:

quote:

slide out the safety and reverse it. Thanks for the help

quote:

• 6 months later...

The Nova safety can be reversed but if you have never seen it done, it can be a bit tricky. Benelli will perform the task for you....free of charge. Call the customer service department to get a return authorization and shipping instructions. If you do it right away, we can get it turned around within a week.

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

• 5 months later...

This is my first post here.

I know this is an old topic, but I found it when doing a search about the issue in question. I figured out the procedure, and thought I'd post it for anyone who might have the same concern.

This will work with both the NOVA and the M1.

Here's what to do.

Take out the trigger housing.

Relieve pressure on the safety button if desired by drifting out the solid pin just behind and above the trigger.

Drift out the roll pin at the top of the trigger housing, the one behind the trigger and directly above the safety button.

Watch out, or put a piece of tape over the hole at the top of the housing (look down the hole to see the roll pin running across) so you don't lose the spring which holds the detent pin. It will fly out as you drift the roll pin.

With pressure from the detent pin removed, reverse the safety button.

Next, insert and compress the detent pin spring with a punch while drifting the roll pin back across the channel (it's a three hand job).

If the roll pin doesn't seat all the way (I hate roll pins), just get it most of the way, or replace it with a piece of solid drill rod if you have the right size. (And if you removed the solid pin just above the trigger, press the trigger back slightly and replace said pin.)

You're done! Reassemble the gun.

Best.

GUGGISBERG,

Unless you've had some general experience working on this sort of thing, I strongly recommend that you do not attempt the reversal yourself. The Nova safety is reversible, but it is anything but easy to do.

Take Monte's advice and send it in to have Benelli do it for you.

If you're planning on using the gun for an upcoming season, ask them about turnaround time.

As most seasons have ended, they are quite busy now.