Benelli M4 Velcro sidesaddle and finish?

Battler

I have that RMR mount so the rail solutions are no-go.

Anyone have any idea on the long-term use of velcro sidesaddle systems? What's the current consensus on the best sidesaddle, and best velcro backing?

I'm concerned about rust under the velcro, and also in pulling off any of the parkerizing finish. . . .

The m4 receiver is anodized aluminum so there shouldn't be any concerns about pulling it off or rusting.

My preferred side saddle are the vangcomp spare carriers... to me they have the best elastic retention / release of any that I've tried.  I just use velcro brand self-adhesive loop with a notch cut out for the trigger group take down pin on my receiver. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scout_21 said:

The m4 receiver is anodized aluminum so there shouldn't be any concerns about pulling it off or rusting.

My preferred side saddle are the vangcomp spare carriers... to me they have the best elastic retention / release of any that I've tried.  I just use velcro brand self-adhesive loop with a notch cut out for the trigger group take down pin on my receiver.

Do you mean these

https://vangcomp.com/product/vcs-detachable-side-ammunition-extra-carrier/#prettyPhoto

I.e. the $20 Vang Comp part without the backing plate/$80 kit? Are these just velcro-compatible like the rest?

Edited by Battler

Mine is ordered so I haven't seen it; but from the above, and the advice of an instructor who I think ran it - the $80 mounting plate is Remington; but the $20 shell-holding part is straight Velcro. I believe you buy 2" 4' velcro strips off of Amazon to stick to the gun, and you velcro the Vang $20 part on.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Milspec said:

Aren’t those for Remingtons?  Or, it doesn’t matter.

Those are pretty expensive for Velcro and elastic material.

I challenge you to make an equal or better one for less than $20 a pop.

I've used many different elastic systems and none have so far held a candle.  I also thinks it stands head and shoulders above the metal systems that aridus industries and asgard defense make.

Shell caddies are a whole different ballgame / purpose though.

Edited by Scout_21

20 minutes ago, Battler said:

Mine is ordered so I haven't seen it; but from the above, and the advice of an instructor who I think ran it - the $80 mounting plate is Remington; but the $20 shell-holding part is straight Velcro. I believe you buy 2" 4' velcro strips off of Amazon to stick to the gun, and you velcro the Vang $20 part on.

Pretty much.  They do use thick webbing so they more or less keep their shape when loaded unlike other card systems.

I kinda went hogwild after the weekend and ordered samples of all of them. Interested in some of the others also just to get 4-shell variants. Instructor recommended Vang-Comp and Ess-tac. Guess I'll be doing a heavy comparison of my own of those, and the SOE.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Battler said:

I kinda went hogwild after the weekend and ordered samples of all of them. Interested in some of the others also just to get 4-shell variants. Instructor recommended Vang-Comp and Ess-tac. Guess I'll be doing a heavy comparison of my own of those, and the SOE.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the different cards.  I found the esstac to hold the shells too closely together for gloved use and more difficult to add or remove shells even after letting them stretch for a month.  Also good to test when they are on the shotgun as you deal with different angles than when adding or removing shells when the card is directly in front of you.

6 hours ago, Battler said:

That explains it, thanks.  I was looking at the whole assembly for $79.00 or whatever it was.  I thought sheesh they have it figured out.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, Scout_21 said:

Just want to verify - have you actually pulled Velcro off the side of Benelli M4s? After how much time applied?

and if the gun got wet is that a good time to pull it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 4:42 PM, Battler said:

I have that RMR mount so the rail solutions are no-go.

Anyone have any idea on the long-term use of velcro sidesaddle systems? What's the current consensus on the best sidesaddle, and best velcro backing?

I'm concerned about rust under the velcro, and also in pulling off any of the parkerizing finish. . . .

Scalarworks RMR mount?

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Retired said:

I cut most of the rail off my Scalarworks mount, then cut a notch in my mesa side saddle, haven't had any issues with it.

I posted photos in this thread.

I don't see the pic on this thread - can you provide a link or the pic?