ShootingSight hammer for Benelli M4

shootingsight

As an FYI, ShootingSight should be releasing a tool steel hammer for the M4 in a couple of months.  If you are interested, please email [email protected], and we will get in touch as soon as they are available.

These will be CNC machined Rolled Plate S7 Tool Steel, so the highest grade you can get.  Price TBD - under $100.  It will be 100% US made, so 922R compliant.

Art Neergaard

ShootingSight llc

www.shootingsight.com

Edited by Admin
Updated email address
  • Upvote 2

May pay to rehash the pros/cons of another hammer (other than stock or the other 922R/american piece) - i.e. why people like the G, and what yours would bring. I think a lot of the community knows (but I don't) ; but seeing this thread, and the summary together could help posterity. . .

1 hour ago, Battler said:

May pay to rehash the pros/cons of another hammer (other than stock or the other 922R/american piece) - i.e. why people like the G, and what yours would bring. I think a lot of the community knows (but I don't) ; but seeing this thread, and the summary together could help posterity. . .

I was just about to ask what a ShootingSport hammer would offer over factory Benelli, beyond 922r compliance. 

I'm just learning this product, based on a request, so I don't want to overpromise, so I think it is PRIMARILY about 922R.

That said, I have heard complaints about the factory hammer deforming or mushrooming.  I have not heard about failure to fire, so this might be a cosmetic defect, nothing more.  The other thing is that I plan to NiB coat the hammer.  This is a low friction coating, and since part of the trigger pull weight is the friction of the sears dragging on each other, it should reduce pull weight slightly.

Now, a next step would be to make a complete new trigger/hammer/sear set.  If I were to undertake this, it'd be a lighter, smoother pull, and it would be 2-stage.  However I need to understand the market MUCH better before committing to a project of this magnitude.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could several people please throw some dimensions my way?  I got a new plastic trigger housing.  The hammer is around 0.150 thick, and the slot in the plastic lower is 0.160, so it's kind of a sloppy fit.  I'm thinking 5/32, which is 0.156 would be a nice fit.  However I understand lowers used to be metal, so I don't know if the gap has changed.

Could anyone who is so inclined, and has a set of calipers, post what hammer thickness and gap width are on their receivers, and also mention if it is a plastic or a metal lower?  Thanks,

Seriously?  Took apart my trigger pack, and the hole in the hammer is 0.250, but the pin is only 0.235.  That's the sloppiest fit I have ever seen for a moving part on a pin.

Is there any reason for this, or is it just loose tolerances, so the hammer can be a low cost punched part?  Unless I can find a reason, mine will be a LOT better fit.

Edited by shootingsight

• 7 months later...
On 7/3/2019 at 12:37 AM, shootingsight said:

Now, a next step would be to make a complete new trigger/hammer/sear set.  If I were to undertake this, it'd be a lighter, smoother pull, and it would be 2-stage.  However I need to understand the market MUCH better before committing to a project of this magnitude.

Any updates on this shootingsight?

I'm interested in purchasing your hammer. But if you're planning to make the set, I'll be happy to wait ?

No update.  I would not hold my breath.  In looking at the basic geometry - ie where they put the pivot pins, I do not see a way to make the trigger significantly better.  Since there are other less expensive 922R parts out there to get to the required count, I'm just going to stick with the hammer for now.  Sorry.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

@shootingsight

So I ordered one of the hammers and unfortunately the dimensions don't match the hammer that was installed on my new production 11707 with polymer trigger guard. Is this a known issue? I sent an e-mail a bit ago and never received a reply.

Basically the additional, we'll call it... width.. for lack of a proper term, gets it hung up on the disconnector, preventing it from releasing. I mean can grind this down to fit, but seeing as it was promised as drop-in, I'm confused by this. Anyone else have this issue?

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

2 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I advise everyone to get rid of the oem polymer trigger frames. They’re crap. They’re nothing but out of spec problems across the board Which requires Benelli to fit their trigger kits to it.

I bet if you got an A&S Engineering frame, all your issues would be resolved. 

Can anyone confirm this with certainty? I'd prefer not to purchase a second expensive piece chasing fitment only to find myself back at square one. Really wish websites would state that it will not work with the polymer guard. That's a useful bit of information.

It sounds like you may be talking about something different than what strangerdanger if referring to. Is the interference due to the thickness of the piece as in the width or more like the shape? There have been issues with the other manufacturers triggers being too thick on width causing friction in the pieces rubbing in the polymer frame. But yours looks like the trigger design is slightly bigger than the original trigger in the catch area. 

18 minutes ago, GTTom said:

It sounds like you may be talking about something different than what strangerdanger if referring to. Is the interference due to the thickness of the piece as in the width or more like the shape? There have been issues with the other manufacturers triggers being too thick on width causing friction in the pieces rubbing in the polymer frame. But yours looks like the trigger design is slightly bigger than the original trigger in the catch area. 

Yes, that's correct. Sorry for the confusion. Width was the wrong word to use. I'm the wrong kind of engineer for this discussion lol. The shape of the ShootingSight hammer looks.. larger... extended.. more than the factory. So since it's 'longer', when releasing the trigger the disconnector, won't release it. Get's hung up there. If the angle of the disconnector were different this wouldn't be an issue. My assumption is the angle of the shelf the disconnector rests on is different on the metal trigger guard, and also the A&S.

EDIT:: Guess that'shelf is the trigger itself. Maybe it's a pin that's in a different place? I guess my fear is if my hammer is different, is my trigger different too?

Edited by JE3146

56 minutes ago, JE3146 said:

Yes, that's correct. Sorry for the confusion. Width was the wrong word to use. I'm the wrong kind of engineer for this discussion lol. The shape of the ShootingSight hammer looks.. larger... extended.. more than the factory. So since it's 'longer', when releasing the trigger the disconnector, won't release it. Get's hung up there. If the angle of the disconnector were different this wouldn't be an issue. My assumption is the angle of the shelf the disconnector rests on is different on the metal trigger guard, and also the A&S.

EDIT:: Guess that'shelf is the trigger itself. Maybe it's a pin that's in a different place? I guess my fear is if my hammer is different, is my trigger different too?

Sorry I see that I used the wrong terminology. You were indeed referring to the hammer not the trigger. I think your problem is actually the catch end does look different (larger area) then the original. I just replaced my trigger group (hammer, sear, trigger) with the kit from FFT and laid my hammer on top of the original part and it was exactly the same size/shape. I did use the A&S Trigger guard to replace the polymer Benelli piece and I am impressed with the fit and finish of the A&S part. I can't say if the Shooting Sight part is out of spec or if the polymer trigger housing is causing the new part to be slightly out of alignment.

2 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Width of the hammer will have issues in those plastic frames too. Not just ShooterSight’s hammers either. 

You can file the channel of the frame open more to permit clearance. 

See my above reply. I mispoke about width being the dimension I was confused about. When overlaying the stock hammer and the replacement hammer, they are different dimensions.

2 hours ago, GTTom said:

Sorry I see that I used the wrong terminology. You were indeed referring to the hammer not the trigger. I think your problem is actually the catch end does look different (larger area) then the original. I just replaced my trigger group (hammer, sear, trigger) with the kit from FFT and laid my hammer on top of the original part and it was exactly the same size/shape. I did use the A&S Trigger guard to replace the polymer Benelli piece and I am impressed with the fit and finish of the A&S part. I can't say if the Shooting Sight part is out of spec or if the polymer trigger housing is causing the new part to be slightly out of alignment.

Yes, sorry. Those two hammers are lined up hole to hole and I tried my best to capture the variance on that edge without too much optical distortion. That's why I fear the A&S could possibly not be a solution if the trigger/disconnector are setup for a 'shorter' hammer? This is all really puzzling why they would vary.

I believe that Benelli is modifying the hammer to fit their wildly out of spec polymer trigger frames. I believe the trigger bushing pin hole and the front trigger pin has a lot of tolerance issues. 

Which leads me to recommend leaving it stock if you’re using the polymer frame. The old oem aluminum frames were good for an aftermarket host. The A&S definitely works well with them. I have little use for their loading ramp design, but the rest of the frame is build superior to anything Benelli has ever made. The aluminum OEM frames were very roughly cast with lots of molding flashing. 

48 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

I believe that Benelli is modifying the hammer to fit their wildly out of spec polymer trigger frames. I believe the trigger bushing pin hole and the front trigger pin has a lot of tolerance issues. 

Which leads me to recommend leaving it stock if you’re using the polymer frame. The old oem aluminum frames were good for an aftermarket host. The A&S definitely works well with them. I have little use for their loading ramp design, but the rest of the frame is build superior to anything Benelli has ever made. The aluminum OEM frames were very roughly cast with lots of molding flashing. 

Stock is difficult with 922r with a collapsible. I'll look into the updated trigger guard. That'll give me 4 pieces after hammer/trigger guard/tube and follower.

This gun is like a fire pit that burns money.