ShootingSight hammer for Benelli M4

shootingsight

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 3:42 PM, StrangerDanger said:

I believe that Benelli is modifying the hammer to fit their wildly out of spec polymer trigger frames. I believe the trigger bushing pin hole and the front trigger pin has a lot of tolerance issues. 

Which leads me to recommend leaving it stock if you’re using the polymer frame. The old oem aluminum frames were good for an aftermarket host. The A&S definitely works well with them. I have little use for their loading ramp design, but the rest of the frame is build superior to anything Benelli has ever made. The aluminum OEM frames were very roughly cast with lots of molding flashing. 

Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this hammer does not function with the A&S trigger guard either. Same issue as with the polymer. I knew when I lined up the holes on the trigger guards and saw they were identical it wouldn't work, but attempted anyway. So either my hammer is out of spec, or the batch is, or they all are. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's frustrating to say the least. I'm going to try emailing him again and see what he says. I got no response last time.

IMG_2189.jpg

Man that stinks. Hopefully ShootingSight will take it back and refund your money. Maybe reinstall the Benelli hammer and get a different USA part towards 922R compliance? I went with FFT trigger pack and A&S tiger guard. Everything fits awesome. Really love the quality A&S trigger guard. 

Just now, GTTom said:

Man that stinks. Hopefully ShootingSight will take it back and refund your money. Maybe reinstall the Benelli hammer and get a different USA part towards 922R compliance? I went with FFT trigger pack and A&S tiger guard. Everything fits awesome. Really love the quality A&S trigger guard. 

As I said, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. The quality of the product was outstanding and I like the specs of it, it just didn't fit. If I don't get a response to this e-mail, I'll try calling on Monday now that I have some more definitive data. Next step would be the FFT trigger pack, especially if it lightens the pull a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, so bad news: it does not work.  I only made 1 batch of these hammers, so I know they are identical, and I've been selling them for a while with no issues, then suddenly in the past month, I've had 4 people with issues.  #4, I thought to ask him if his gun was new, and it was.  I'm leaning towards something changed slightly in the trigger group for new guns.

I can see two ways to make it work, neither great:

1.  The trigger is not going far enough forward to allow reset.  Forward travel is controlled by a notch in the back of the trigger, and there is a pin (smaller than the notch) that goes through the notch, so the notch limits both forward and rearward max positions.  Dunno if the notch is too small, or the pin is in the wrong location, or has casting flash, but taking some material off the top of the notch would allow the trigger to swing slightly further forward.  This is probably my favorite technical solution, but I advertise these hammers as 'drop-in', so I do not like asking a customer to modify their gun so my hammer fits.

2. You can take material off the back hook of the hammer.  Not a fan of this one either, because messing with the sear geometry can lead to bad consequences if it is not done correctly.

Naturally, I'll refund anyone who has issues, so no one will be out anything.  I find this product especially frustrating, because Benelli has different dimensions between the metal trigger housing and the plastic, and now it looks like differences within the plastic housings.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Web site is back up.  GoDaddy died on us and took a week to fix.  I've now migrated to a private server and the web site is back up.

I was on the fence about making more of these, I've decided to take a stab.  As best I can tell, about 18 months ago there seemed to be perhaps a new batch of trigger components, and suddenly my hammers would not reset on new M4s.  I bought two M4 for this project, I'm not going to buy a third, but I will likely see if anyone has a new trigger group they would lend me to take measurements.  I have also sent an email to Benelli Italy, to see if they will share the hammer drawings.  Might be a long shot, but making these guns more accessible for 3-gun shooters who need 922R is likely in their benefit.

As a side note, I got asked if these will work in an M2/M3.  I don't know.  MGW shows a different part number for M2/3 versus M4, but that could be something like gloss black versus matte black finish, they might still swap.  Called Benelli USA customer service, and apart from telling me they have different part numebrs, they did not know if they would swap.  So I bought a M2 hammer and will have a look.  I do know the M4 hammer works in a Nova/SuperNova.  It has an extra sear on the back of the hammer spur that isn't needed, but it still works.

Art

• Upvote 1

Fixed.  I migrated from GoDaddy to a private server, so I am less at risk from Big Tech deciding they don't like gun products or my politics.  We are through some start-up bugs.

I think I have a strategy.  Stranger Danger confirmed to me that over the past 12-18 months there were a bunch of trigger groups that no longer could just drop-in parts that previously needed no adjustment.  He attributed it to pin hole locations in the lowers.  I have not taken any measurements, so I don't know the reason, but I had observed the same thing.  He also thinks those cases are getting less frequent.

So my strategy will be to make another run of these hammers to the original spec, which is a little fatter, and advertise them as 'some fitting might be required'.

I also have a pretty good notion that these will fit M1, M2, M3, M4, Nova, SuperNova, and a bunch of other guns I will list on my site.  The Benelli part numbers are not all the same, but I think the only difference is the surface coating, which might be more corrosion resistant for the M4 military needs.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Just thought I’d update this thread since it’s the most recent posting on this hammer, and there seemed to be some questions about it that maybe were still up in the air.

I ordered the ShootingSight hammer earlier in the week and installed it this weekend.  Super fast shipping, by the way.

After a thorough function check, it seems to be good to go.  No fire on release as with some of the other full kits.  Won’t know for sure until I hit the range next, but all good as of now.  My trigger guard is OEM Benelli, aluminum, and I bought the gun new in 2010.  I know—OG.

IMG_3918.jpeg

IMG_3920.jpeg

IMG_3922.jpeg

• Upvote 1