SBE II not ejecting shells

barney9700

I'm about ready to pull my Browning gold hunter out of retirement since my Benelli is only capable of firing 1 shot at a time. All of the empties get hung up in the chamber. I have two friends that also are shooting the exact same gun and theirs are doing the exact same thing. I don't think I'm going to make it through this years kansas pheasant season with this gun.

I have been plagued with the same problem this year with my 2 year old SBE II. Wont reliably cycle with empties hanging up in the chamber. The kicker is last year it worked perfectly! I have no idea what changed, it certainly has nothing to do with cleaning as I have tried everything. Benelli finally said send it back to them so my gun will be gone for rest of season but is all but worthless as it is. Good luck and let us know if you find a fix for this problem.

The problem of not cleanly ejecting shells can be caused by a number of things, including improper cleaning and lubing.

My SBEII is two years old, and it has NEVER failed to cycle a single shell.

As others have stated, giving the gun a thorough and proper cleaning before using it is a step in the right direction.

I use Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner, wipe dry, and follow with a Benelli oil sparingly applied.

There have been numerous other posts on these forums regarding Benelli cycling problems.

Using the search feature and reviewing those posts will yield various things one can try to correct the problem.

Ultimately, I think most of the problems stem from owner/user error rather than from manufacturing defects.

One other thing worth noting.

For every person who posts on these forums regarding having a problem with their Inertia shotgun, there are literally thousands who have shot them for years without a hitch.

I considered barney's post as nothing more than a troll, because he offered absolutely no details regarding his problem. Throwing in that comment about two friends having the same problem just pegs the BS meter in the red.

buddha,

You are well on your way to owning one of the best sporting shotguns in the world.

Whether or not you allow some flippant negative comments to sway you in another direction is totally up to you.

barney9700, do you carry your one bullet in your shirt pocket!!!!!!!!!! Sorry friend couldn't resist.

Three guns owned by three friends with the same problem, highly unlikely. It's not the gun, it is operator maintenance, operator error or ammo.

buddah, listen to tucker, pick up the Benelli and enjoy it for many years. I have personally put, aproximately, 4 thousand rounds thru my benelli in the last eight months. 800+ or - rounds with no cleaning or maintenance at all. My own personal test of endurnace.

The only failure to feed or eject was with under powered shells. My M2 will not function with 2 3/4 Dr powder and 7/8 oz shot but it is still the best shotgun I have ever owned.

Thanks for all of the comments. Last year I did not have one single problem. This year I am. Could be the ammo? My friends guns are not ejecting when they are shooting 3 1/2 shells while goose hunting. It happens about every third time they fire their guns. One gentleman on here thinks this is B.S. Believe me I have better things to do than type on this internet and make things up.

barney,

Why not go ahead and share ALL of the information?

What loads are you using?

Are your friends using the same loads?

When someone hops on here and posts, "My gun don't work and it's crap!", it's either a troll or someone who doesn't know how to post.

Forgive me for thinking your case was the former.

[ 12-05-2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Benelli's are the BEST.

I've shot everything from SP-10's, to 1100's to Extrema's and everything in between. All of them were heavy and gas operated, which made them jam if not cleaned properly.

My brother has had his Benelli SBE for 2 years and never had a problem, it's jammed once or twice, but cleaning fixed it.

I've owned a Benelli SBE II for a month now and LOVE IT. It hasn't had ONE PROBLEM. But I made sure to "Degrease" it first.

Three of my friends have Benelli's, one is an SBE and the other two are SBE II that were bought earlier this year. NONE of THEM have had any problems. The fact that they bought them all had a lot to do with how well they saw my brother's and other of our friend's Benelli's work.

What you AMMO you shoot plays a big, big part. Make sure your shooting good name brand ammo and you'll be ok.

Secondly keep your gun clean.

After that, it's up to God. So do those two things and your gun should work great. All I can say is I love Benelli, and from South Dakota pheasant hunting, to frigid MN cold goose and duck hunting with water and snow and mud, I've always been continually impressed with how Benelli's keep working. It's the best Auto Loading Gun out there, PERIOD.

Originally posted by barney9700:

My friends guns are not ejecting when they are shooting 3 1/2 shells while goose hunting. It happens about every third time they fire their guns.

I haven't seen this anywhere else in any of the forums I read that include Benelli shotguns. I did see a couple guys that have Xtrema 2's complaining about this, but I think they also were the exception.

More information like Tucker suggested would be helpful. That way these fellers that are in the know can give you some sound advice.

The easiest thing to do would be to swap to a different brand of 3 1/2 inch shell to see if it's a manufacturer problem.

Manufacturing DEFECT of SHELLS

Sometimes a box of shells is bad. So it may be a totally bad brand or you might have gotten a bad box, try some other shells of a different brand, or try a new box of the same stuff. I've seen this happen before. Just like sometimes some shells don't fire when the firing pin hits the primer.

This might sound strange, but when my friend got his new SBE 2 we went out and shot skeet with it. Every time he would shoot he would have a shell hang up on him and when I shot it, it worked flawlessly. We learned that it was the way he was mounting the gun to his shoulder. He was not mounting it firm to his shoulder and somehow that was interfering with the inertia system. He corrected the problem and now would not trade it for the world.

Originally posted by BLACK JACK:

This might sound strange, but when my friend got his new SBE 2 we went out and shot skeet with it. Every time he would shoot he would have a shell hang up on him and when I shot it, it worked flawlessly. We learned that it was the way he was mounting the gun to his shoulder. He was not mounting it firm to his shoulder and somehow that was interfering with the inertia system. He corrected the problem and now would not trade it for the world.

I will add to this, I have put about...500 shells through my new SBE2 and all but about 75 were at birds. I only had one problem and that was with a 3 inch duck load, and the problem was me...it was a straight over passing shot and when I squized the trigger the shot nearly knocked me over (I was standing there with my feet together just trying to keep on track with the bird).

moral of the story is that a benelli will not cycle if it is not allowed to move some (put up against a brick wall and fired).

a benelli will not fire (or will have problems) if there is not a solid shoulder behind it to stop it from going to far back, but my little girl friend can cycle the thing so you big boys should be fine.

an interesting side note: was using xpert steel hi-velocity and had one bad shell, when i pulled the trigger it didnt fire right away, instead about a half second later it went off and it was weak (I could see the #3 shot come out and go) and the benelli still cycled that shell out.....weird.

love the gun and have gonna 2 other buddies to buy SBE 2's and I would like to get a legacy for fun too =D