J-Kenny Auto loading lifter

Sigma05

The Browning A5 is factory designed to auto load. If you saw a Benelli or Stoeger with the auto load feature here in the USA the gun probably had the modification done by MOA Precision, they've had the parts available since early this year (2019). I have one on my RAS Benelli M2.

The auto load feature allows you to shoot the gun to empty/bolt locked back, then you can insert shell(s) into the magazine tube and the first shell will automatically exit the mag tube and the action closes and “auto loads” the shell into the chamber. Here is a video demonstrating with my Benelli M2.

Benelli Auto Load with MOA Precision parts

• Upvote 2

To me the J-Kenny seems better because you don't have to modify the trigger housing. 

However, they say they accomplish this by using a "unique combination" of springs.  This makes me a little leery.

I just think if they introduce more springs, more to go wrong?

It's not clear if these are additional springs to their proprietary lifter or if they just replace OEM with "unique" springs.

The Browning A5 (current model and the older “humback” Auto 5 with the 2 piece lifter) are the only shotguns that I know of with the “auto load” feature from the factory. The shell latch design of the Italian influenced guns (current Benelli, Beretta, Stoeger, Franchi) could be adapted, not so with the Remington 1100 or 11/87 action.

There is a lot of “that's the way we've always done it” and “not designed here” in the firearms industry...and the Italians seem to have a “our way is the best way” attitude to firearms technology.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Milspec said:

I'm still a bit of a noob to shotguns.  Is there a reason that they don't make auto-loading standard on factory shotguns?

S.R. mentioned the A5 has it.  I don't get it.  Safety concerns?

I imagine it is about 'safety', more control over the shotgun and keeping to the original spec/function of the original design. The J-Kenny Auto Lifter appears to override a couple of the Benelli M4's manual functions.

This J-Kenny Auto Loading Lifter does sound quite interesting, but it leaves me a little bit confused about what manual features it overrides with the Benelli M4. I read their product page on their website, but the info leaves me with more questions and confusion.

Does the Auto Loading Lifter not allow the chamber to be clear, the bolt closed and a full magazine tube? What I mean by that is ... I really like that I can chamber my first round and upon racking the charging handle, I can quickly & easily clear the chamber without it automatically ejecting a round from the magazine and allow the bolt to close with an empty chamber. This is where I am left a bit confused as to what this part will disable and/or alter in the way of 'normal' functionality.

I think it would be a really good idea for that company to make a thorough video showing two Benelli M4s side by side and demonstrating the original/normal functions vs how it functions using the Auto Loading Lifter.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, NineInchNails said:

This J-Kenny Auto Loading Lifter does sound quite interesting, but it leaves me a little bit confused about what manual features it overrides with the Benelli M4. I read their product page on their website, but the info leaves me with more questions and confusion.

Does the Auto Loading Lifter not allow the chamber to be clear, the bolt closed and a full magazine tube? What I mean by that is ... I really like that I can chamber my first round and upon racking the charging handle, I can quickly & easily clear the chamber without it automatically ejecting a round from the magazine and allow the bolt to close with an empty chamber. This is where I am left a bit confused as to what this part will disable and/or alter in the way of 'normal' functionality.

I think it would be a really good idea for that company to make a thorough video showing two Benelli M4s side by side and demonstrating the original/normal functions vs how it functions using the Auto Loading Lifter.

Good question.  I didn't even think of that.

Edited by Milspec

If it bypasses most normal operational features  ... I suspect this is something that might be more predominantly used specifically for competition.

I can understand how some people might say that if it is ideal for competition then it should be a benefit to home defense as well as combat. I would agree with that, but I do appreciate certain normal operational features that the Benelli M4 has.

• Upvote 1

The normal functions of the gun remain. You can still load the tube and leave the chamber empty, and you can open the bolt and remove the chambered round without emptying the magazine. If the bolt is closed (regardless of the chamber being empty or loaded) you can load round into the mag tube as in normal operation.

The auto load feature allows you to have the gun completely empty (including the mag tube) and the bolt locked open, but now shells can still be inserted into the mag tube.. When you insert the first rounds into the mag tube the first round will then eject into the action and get chambered.

This was all developed for competition guns so when the gun is shot dry only one loading technique is needed – just stuff shells into t mag tube and keep going– no need to insert a round into the action, close the bolt, then fill the tube.

Whether the “modification” holds up under heavy use / high round count remains to be seen. I have a couple thousand rounds in on my M2 with the MOA Precision parts – so far so good.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

The normal functions of the gun remain. You can still load the tube and leave the chamber empty, and you can open the bolt and remove the chambered round without emptying the magazine. If the bolt is closed (regardless of the chamber being empty or loaded) you can load round into the mag tube as in normal operation.

The auto load feature allows you to have the gun completely empty (including the mag tube) and the bolt locked open, but now shells can still be inserted into the mag tube.. When you insert the first rounds into the mag tube the first round will then eject into the action and get chambered.

This was all developed for competition guns so when the gun is shot dry only one loading technique is needed – just stuff shells into t mag tube and keep going– no need to insert a round into the action, close the bolt, then fill the tube.

Whether the “modification” holds up under heavy use / high round count remains to be seen. I have a couple thousand rounds in on my M2 with the MOA Precision parts – so far so good.

I hear ya, but this is why a really detailed video should be made, in my opinion.

If the Auto Lifter causes the bolt to be held open, then how does one close the bolt? I know I sound annoying, but if they had an adequate comparison video, I think it would help them a lot. I just wish they would demonstrate EXACTLY what functions are altered after installing the Auto Lifter.

2 hours ago, NineInchNails said:

I hear ya, but this is why a really detailed video should be made, in my opinion.

If the Auto Lifter causes the bolt to be held open, then how does one close the bolt? I know I sound annoying, but if they had an adequate comparison video, I think it would help them a lot. I just wish they would demonstrate EXACTLY what functions are altered after installing the Auto Lifter.

To close the bolt (without inserting shells into the tube) you press the bolt release - just like you do on a stock gun.

If you shoot the gun dry the bolt locks open as expected. You can either press the bolt release to close the bolt, or load the tube and let the gun “auto load”

All the “auto” parts actually do is (1) let you load the magazine tube with the bolt locked open on an empty gun (2) allow a shell to come out of the mag tube which activates the shell latch allowing the bolt to close and chamber that round chamber.

Edited by Steve Rose

10 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

To close the bolt (without inserting shells into the tube) you press the bolt release - just like you do on a stock gun.

If you shoot the gun dry the bolt locks open as expected. You can either press the bolt release to close the bolt, or load the tube and let the gun “auto load”

All the “auto” parts actually do is (1) let you load the magazine tube with the bolt locked open on an empty gun (2) allow a shell to come out of the mag tube which activates the shell latch allowing the bolt to close and chamber that round chamber.

Steve, can you still ghost load with this setup? From your description I would say yes, but would like your first hand experience. Thanks in advance. 

• Upvote 1

I can still ghost load* my M2 with the MOA Precision auto load parts. Since the J-Kenny parts use similar design mechanisms I suspect you can still ghost load, but I have no first hand experience with those parts.

* My M2 bolt has the usual modification that allows ghost loading

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

I can still ghost load* my M2 with the MOA Precision auto load parts. Since the J-Kenny parts use similar design mechanisms I suspect you can still ghost load, but I have no first hand experience with those parts.

* My M2 bolt has the usual modification that allows ghost loading

Thanks Steve. 

Hi from UK. I have a j Kenny lifter installed in my m2. It works very well. It's two piece design and one additional spring. (similar to MOA but in different location. I also have an moa precision lifer that doesn't cycle rounds at all. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Interesting.

Any known compatibility issues with the A&S Engineering trigger pack?

Mines in an a&s trigger, 50 birds sporting clays loading twins to test it on Saturday. won practical shotgun comp on Sunday with it fitted l. Hasn't stopped yet

12 hours ago, Milspec said:

I know it auto loads the shotgun.  Does the J-Kenny also aid with getting rounds in the tube like an extended type lifter?

The lifter is a little longer than a standard but not extended like a Taran/C-rums for example. Most of the time that is only done because the loading port isn't opened correctly and people catch thumbs because of technique. The lifter is plated so it has a smooth surface finish to load on

• Upvote 1