Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benelli Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Milspec

Good touch up for M4 receiver

Does anyone have suggestions for black touch up?  I have a little scratch on my M4 receiver and it bugging the hell out of me.

Learn to embrace the scratches. 

Otherwise aluminum black by birchwood casey is an ok touch up but it can get rubbed off easily enough..  Keep in mind this is an oxidizer and not a paint.

I've used Sharpie markers and I do not like how it contrasts on AR-15's anodizing. It clashes pretty bad.

I have also tried the Birchwood Casey anodizing marker and it works pretty darn good. There is still a bit of contrast, but I haven't heard of anything that does a perfect job. Pretty much anything you apply will look different because it is different (not anodizing).

Yeah, if you really want to fix it look at cerakoting like Stranger Danger or perhaps Armor Lube by Robar.  I'm looking at armor lubing (strange verb) my m3 by them as the forend wore through the anodizing pretty quickly on my reciever. 

Posted (edited)

Funny you mention Robar.  I’ve had them do Glock work and NP3+ some rifle components in the past.  They do great work.

I’m looking at the Poly-T2 because of the color variety.  I remember reading that they can’t apply Armor Lube to aluminum.

My concern is having to totally disassemble the M4.  I’m confident that I can do it but I have no idea what the torque specs are for the top rail screws, receiver extension etc. 

Although I don’t do 3 gun it might be nice to open up the loading port a small amount.

Edited by Milspec

Ah you're right... no armorlube on aluminum...  Poly-t2 does seem like a viable alternative