new M1014 will only load 4+1

richardscruggs33

I just bought a new Benelli M1014 , assembled it as per manual, lubricated it fully, engaged the safety.  cocked the weapon, inverted it to load.......BUT, it takes only four 2 3/4" shells with the 5th going in the tube but won't lock. what am I doing wrong?   the last shell is inserted in the barrel as instructed, hence 4+1.   thanks for your help          WRS

Same issue here. I tried to load S&B 2 3/4 inch 00 buck and could not get the last round to load. After switching to Hornady critical defense I was able to load the gun fully. Setting the rounds side by side it was obvious why there was an issue. I am in no way recommending this round I'm just pointing out the size difference in rounds. Congrats on the new M4. 

19 hours ago, Milspec said:

I could only fit 4 Federal LE OO buck with wad control.  Extremely disappointed since I bought some bulk.

Same for me with the S&B.  These shells seemed really long.  Shot fine though.

I've had good luck with the 8 pellet 00 buck rounds.  Might be work getting a box and seeing if that works for you.  At least you'll have lots of training rounds to use...

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your advice, you , and the sites that were linked, totally resolved my problem. Who knew that 2/34" was just a designation and  not actual. As for the " longer" 2 3/4" shells and the alleged 3" shells, do I just load 4+1 and declare victory or are further adjustments recommended?

'Spec -

That's exactly what I was going to suggest -- shorten the spring a little.  I believe NordiComp suggest starting with 14 1/2" of spring extending out of the front of the mag tube for starters.  If you are getting less rounds in the tube than what you'd expect, 5+1 or 7+1, then take a look at the shell length and also play around with the spring length.  If you have plenty of spring pressure to chamber the last round, you might be able to trim that spring down a little the get that last 1/4 - 1/2" (?) that will let you load the final shell with still enough spring compression/power to chamber the last round.  

• 3 weeks later...