Tips to reinstall M4 Trigger Guard Pin Ring

Milspec

Lol.  I have snap ring pliers but the nose(s) was too large to get in between the little cut out in the ring end.  I guess I need to junk those and get a better pair.

My mini pair of needle nose got the job done.  I was able to get in there and spread the ring enough to slip it over.

Edited by Milspec

2 hours ago, Milspec said:

Interesting you mentioned the Channelocks I was looking at those..

I have this set and they’re worth every cent. All of the various benefits SD mentions, haven’t yet found a use that this kit didn’t meet. 

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...

Just make sure you have steady hands and hold the pliers perfectly perpendicular.

I have been using the Knipex ones for years on my German car and guns and they are way better than the Snap-on, Irwin, or Channellock. There is actually a very specific pair of pliers that you are suppose to use for these clips where the tips are together at rest with no gap; but you can still use regular circlip pliers with a steady hand and good tips.

4611G04k.jpg

• Upvote 2

These are the ones FFT sells.  I'm not sure if these are the specific ones that you're referring to.  I ended up working it out with my mini needled nose.  Still a pain but easy for the install.

I thought the Channellock pair was legit but they didn't work for me.

What the heck is that one they use for the clip?  What brand is it?  I can't say I've seen a pair like that before.

With those flat thin edges on the tips I could see them engaging the clip well without slipping.

Edited by Milspec

Those are called snap ring, retaining ring, or lock ring pliers. They are found in numerous machines like vehicle transmissions.

The pair he is holding looks to be a USAG branded one; which is an Italian tool manufacturer. You can get them with serrations for extra grip and/or dimples for a positive lock on the ring. They always open outward and always have a spring.

VBW Special circlip pliers, 170 mm, No 1530.gif | 30,000 Tools at  Tools-Giant Online Shop

085432020918.png

G409-tip.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Those look good.  I was considering ordering a pair like that but I was concerned about getting the proper size to fit correctly.  That pin ring has a very narrow opening.

I recently ordered a pair from McMaster Carr and I was pleasantly surprised.  The description is non existent but they turned out to be the same ones that FFT sells.  Imperial IR-38 made in USA.  McMaster #5415A61

They are smaller than I thought but so far they have been excellent.  I've only used them on the Magazine Spring Seal Ring and Trigger Guard Pin Retaining Ring and they were tremendous.  They real test will be the trigger guard pin ring.

The big win was they were $25.23 delivered to my door.  FFT sells them for $25 before the $13 shipping and Amazon sells them for over $30 with tax/shipping (no prime because it's a 3rd party seller).  I don't know if it's due to my proximity to their warehouse but I always receive my McMaster orders in roughly 2 days.  It is a roll of the dice where things are made when ordering from them.  One part or item is made in China and another will be US made.  Overall I feel like I lucked out on this one.  If anyone was considering the IR-38's McMaster seems to be the best deal around.

Edited by Milspec
  • Upvote 1

I don't like investing in tools that I will rarely ever use.  I remove this clip with a small, flat head screwdriver and reinstall with vice grips and a hammer. First, I set the vice grips to be just wider than the shaft. Next, I place the clamp on the shaft and center the (sideways) vice grips over the clamp.  A few light taps with the hammer (on the side of the vice grips) and it's on.  Have done this many times over the years.

14 hours ago, AIRB0RNE6176 said:

Are most of you all still using the newer "original" pin ring? Does anyone use anything different?

Good info on tool choices, as I'm trying to see what (easier) options there are for removing/installing this particular pin ring...

Sorry I don't have any answer for your questions. Maybe a more experience member can chime in.

19 hours ago, NoTycoon said:

I don't like investing in tools that I will rarely ever use.  I remove this clip with a small, flat head screwdriver and reinstall with vice grips and a hammer. First, I set the vice grips to be just wider than the shaft. Next, I place the clamp on the shaft and center the (sideways) vice grips over the clamp.  A few light taps with the hammer (on the side of the vice grips) and it's on.  Have done this many times over the years.

I'm glad you found a work-around. Unfortunately past experience has taught me that just buying the right tool up front will save me extra time and money in the long run. I'll buy a tool even if I don't think I'll use it again. Of course I don't always follow my own intuition. Case in point I was able to remove the pin spring with a generic snap ring pliers. Broke the first set of replaceable tips on the pliers but after a couple of tries got the spring off......well it actually got itself off by shooting itself across the room?. So I went and bought a more expensive set of snap ring pliers to reinstall. Worked OK but spread the ring a little too far and broke the spring in half. ? So now after ordering a new spring clip and spending $13.00 on shipping I finally find this thread and hopefully got the right tool. Good thing I like to tinker and didn't need the M4 for awhile ?

Edited by GTTom
  • Like 1

So if the M3 style trigger guard pin spring is easier to remove for maintenance any idea why Benelli went to the M4 style pin spring? Any noted failures with the M3 clip? Does the M4 spring hold better?

I already am invested in the snap ring tool plus two spare M4 style pin springs so I'm not changing but inquiring minds want to know....... ? 

144061C5-1D23-4467-A946-616F794B5B7E.jpeg

C6C9A00C-5882-40F3-8B33-90717336C3E2.jpeg

Because up until the latest M3, all prior ones had a pin that wasn't captured.

The M4 is suppose to be easy to field service. Kinda like M16 push pins are captured. If you lose parts, the gun can shoot. It is easier to lose the M3 (or M1, M2, etc) clip. Your regular M1014 isn't going to be taken apart all the time to put in parts; just disassemble and oil.

Even if you happen to break or lose the M4 clip, the gun can still be assemble and shot because of the captured pin.

• Like 1