New M4, best items to add??

apexassassin

I just got my new M4 and want to add some nifty bits. Truth be told, I'm not in LE or anything, and I don't have a real need for a tactical setup, but I want to set this gun up as completely as possible - if for no other reason that because I think it's a great weapon and would be fun to kit out. Anyway...

So far I've been considering an Aimpoint red-dot sight, Knights vertical front grip, larger GGG bolt handle, the B&T rail system, and a Surefire 952p light (lifted from ColtM4's post about his tactical setup - hope you don't mind). Does anyone else have anything they think is better, or that I may have left out? Also, where are the best places online to get stuff like this?

Thanks everyone.

I find eotechs to be much better on shotguns. The circle dot is much faster than the dot on the aimpoint ... plus it's a shotgun, so you want a big reticle, not a small precise one.

You absolutely need a mag extension.

Get the GG&G larger bolt handle AND the bolt release. Both are fantastic.

I like the tangodown vertical grip the most, as do many people, plus you can store stuff in there.

I'd wait for the FCAM rail system that is going to be released any year now ... Lots of negative responses to the BT rail to supplement the 3 or so good comments I have seen.

Get the surefire 962 ... for 40 bucks more, you get 3x the runtime at the same output, or nearly double the output for same runtime. A no brainer.

Get a good sling. I have a blackhawk, many people prefer a spectre. Mesatactical makes single point mounts too if that is your style.

[ 08-09-2006, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Duggan ]

Keep in mind the more you put on it the more cumbersome and heavy it becomes. That said a short list of must haves are :

1. GG&G Bolt Handle

2. Extended Bolt release

3. Rail system ( I have the B&T and it works fine)

4. A forward vertical grip really helps with recoil and quick follow up shots ( I can get five shots off before the first hull hits the ground and still stay on the target )

5. Sling - three point should work fine

Wanna haves :

1. Surefire light ( any weapons grade should do )

2. Side-saddle for handy reloads

3. Optical sight - I run an aimpoint and swear by it but... its not light . I've been thinking about getting an Optima 2000

4. Extended safety - cool if you shoot and operate alot or if you have small hands .

I'm a big guy (6'4 255 ) with big hands and these accessories really helped me.

You may have noticed that I've talked about weight and stuff a bit. The primary reason is as an LEO it does become and issue over prolonged operations.

For a home/personal defense its not a big deal as you probably wont have to worry about prolonged use.

have fun dressing up the best combat shotgun in the world !

[ 08-09-2006, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: ColtM4 ]

I think a light and a sling are probably the most important. and the light being the first. I use a cheep belly bad I found in the alley behind my house for shells, it has two compartments (shot and slugs) and can easily hold twenty rounds.

Oh -- like Duggan said a mag extension would probably be the most important. not much you can do with a light or sling if you are out of shells.--- I supose you could try to blind the bad guy with the light until you get close enough to club him with you M4... then tie 'em up with the sling until the peace officers arrive smile.gif

Originally posted by ColtM4:

Keep in mind the more you put on it the more cumbersome and heavy it becomes. That said a short list of must haves are :

1. GG&G Bolt Handle

2. Extended Bolt release

3. Rail system ( I have the B&T and it works fine)

4. A forward vertical grip really helps with recoil and quick follow up shots ( I can get five shots off before the first hull hits the ground and still stay on the target )

5. Sling - three point should work fine

Wanna haves :

1. Surefire light ( any weapons grade should do )

2. Side-saddle for handy reloads

3. Optical sight - I run an aimpoint and swear by it but... its not light . I've been thinking about getting an Optima 2000

4. Extended safety - cool if you shoot and operate alot or if you have small hands .

I'm a big guy (6'4 255 ) with big hands and these accessories really helped me.

You may have noticed that I've talked about weight and stuff a bit. The primary reason is as an LEO it does become and issue over prolonged operations.

For a home/personal defense its not a big deal as you probably wont have to worry about prolonged use.

have fun dressing up the best combat shotgun in the world !

That is some great input Colt, thanks! Like you inferred, I'm not too concerned with weight, and 'dressing up' the M4 is pretty much what I'm doing, so I'll look at each of the items you mentioned.

Where do you guys buy this stuff? LGS, or online? Is there any way to mount a light or forward sight without the rail system?

I'd like to get an some AR variant next...anybody have any recommendations?? :D

TIA everyone.

I buy stripped lower receivers from gun stores, due to the requirements of a stupid and pointless regulatory agency. Everything else I buy online and assemble myself.

I bought my M4 from a friend.

The GG&G stuff I got from SKD tactical, OpticsHQ has the best deals on eotechs I have seen, surecycle.com or nodakspuk for the extension tubes, slings from SKD or blackhawk, I got my collapsible stock from ebay ...

As far as AR's go, I have 2 of them, and I could build 30 more and still not feel I had enough. If you want ideas, go to ar15.com and go through the countless picture threads. When you find something you really like, ask what it is if it doesnt already say, and then go about building your own. You'll learn so much more about your rifle and appreciate it a whole lot more if you build it yourself.

There have been a few times where I almost backed out and had a "professional" do it (free floating handguard, JP custom trigger install), but each time I decided to do it myself and Im much happier with the result.

Worst comes to worst, you ruin a part, and buy another.