Vinci- Sticky Stock?????

thegreyman

Hello Shooters

I have a new 2019 Vinci shotgun. It's brand new, I didn't notice it when I purchased two weeks ago, but now I see that the stock is disgustingly sticky.  Any solution to clean the stock and make it less sticky and smooth? I have the brown synthetic furniture on my Vinci. 

Possibly a defective run of the synthetic material.  My 20 ga. M2 had the same issue with the butt stock.  The forearm was just fine.  It was almost like the material was slowly melting.  No amount of cleaning it would help.  Another manufacturer had a similar issue and it ended up being an improperly cured batch of parts.  Benelli sent me a replacement stock for the M2.  You might contact Benelli customer service.  For mine they were quite helpful.

I have found Benelli Customer Service to be very helpful.  They helped me with a problem that I had on a 10-year old forestock and I was very happy with the experience.

You can use lots of solvents/oils/waxes to clean your gun, but some shotgun cleaning solvents are designed to dissolve plastic wads from the barrel.  I would be very careful with those around the furniture, whether it is wood or synthetic.  I don't think you can buy methylene chloride based cleaners any more, but those would eat through pretty much any plastic or varnish and make them tacky.  If you have any sticky residue that doesn't come off with isopropyl alcohol, then there is something that either you or Benelli messed up. 

• 8 months later...

Had the same issue with my R1 synthetic stock after I left the rifle in a case for an extended period of time (my mistake).  I removed the rubber cheek weld, made a paste with baking soda and water, then used a tooth brush to scrub the stock and foregrip.  It took about 30 minutes of elbow grease to remove the sticky residue.  The hardest area to remove the residue from was the checkered areas for improving your grip, but it all came off.  Stock and foregrip feel like new.

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 1:17 PM, SkipJ112 said:

Had the same issue with my R1 synthetic stock after I left the rifle in a case for an extended period of time (my mistake).  I removed the rubber cheek weld, made a paste with baking soda and water, then used a tooth brush to scrub the stock and foregrip.  It took about 30 minutes of elbow grease to remove the sticky residue.  The hardest area to remove the residue from was the checkered areas for improving your grip, but it all came off.  Stock and foregrip feel like new.

My husband got his Winchester Shotgun out for opening day of Dove season in 2 days.  The stock was so sticky you could hardly let go of it.  I read your post and thought I'd try the paste of baking soda and water because he planned to buy Camo tape to cover it when he gets home.  It worked really well.  Took a little elbow grease but came off.  I called and told him I had cleaned it and he was so excited.....That's just the kinda wifey I am!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a20 ga. M2 I use for duck hunting. I recently moved at the beginning of 202 stores my guns at my parents while we found a house. Long story short we are a big gun owning and hunting family when I went to pick my gun up for my parents mind you it was not in a case but obviously climate controlled area the fore arm and butt are sticky. I’ve had the gun for about five years I think is it worth it to call bennelli and see about replacement? I’ve read some of the quotes on here was just wondering as far as replacement goes was the cost a big shock or reasonable?

6 hours ago, Ctaylor1987 said:

I have a20 ga. M2 I use for duck hunting. I recently moved at the beginning of 202 stores my guns at my parents while we found a house. Long story short we are a big gun owning and hunting family when I went to pick my gun up for my parents mind you it was not in a case but obviously climate controlled area the fore arm and butt are sticky. I’ve had the gun for about five years I think is it worth it to call bennelli and see about replacement? I’ve read some of the quotes on here was just wondering as far as replacement goes was the cost a big shock or reasonable?

Go to Benelli first.  Replacements on your own dime are not cheap.

• 1 month later...

I have a M2 Field 20 ga. and both rear and forward stock are sticky.  I just pulled it out to take a look at it today.    How disappointing.  I was ready to buy a slug barrel and a slug forearm for it.  Going to hold off till Benelli responds to my inquiry about this problem.  .  I paid a lot of money for this shotgun and hope I’m not disappointed.    I can’t even use this shotgun in this condition.  

• 5 months later...

Just a late update. 
I contacted Customer Service after my post above. I got an email response back confirming that Benelli indeed would replace my stock and forend free of charge. I already have an order confirmation or the replacement order! This was all taken care of in less than 48 hours!!

The parts are on backorder but it is off season for me so no rush. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I purchased two new M2's for my two daughters. Put them in the gun safe for storage in an air conditioned environment. Took them out for Christmas so that they could shoot some clays and found both guns unusable due to the stocks and forearms being so sticky. Tried calling Benelli customer support and couldn't get an answer. Sent them an email. Hopefully they will respond soon. Don't want to try the baking soda and possibly voiding the warranty until I get some feedback from Benelli.