SBEII Stovepiping HELP

KRL

Hello everyone I have a 6 month old SBEII that has started to stovepipe more and more it now happens every couple shots it started last weekend with Kent 1 1/8 oz 3's, I switched to Federals and now it's worse than ever. within one weeks time it went from once to constantly. HELP! I have completly torn it down and cleaned it with gun scrubber, I cleaned the chamber with a chambermate brush and a Dewalt Drill followed up with a light pass of Scotch Bright on the drill as well I also removed the stock to take a look at the spring i did not remove it, but it was well lubed and looked clean, I'm going to remove it today if it will come lose.

I use FP10 and keep the gun very clean but i lost a big Bull Sprig the other day and a Green Head this Morning because of this now dont know that I can trust in the field again!

If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE post up!

Thanks Kurt

After checking the recoil spring it was clean and and lubed with FP-10! but I did notice that when FP-10 gets wet it turns white & milky. on my last couple hunts it has been raining a little. has any noticed trouble with Benelli's in the Rain?

Help Kurt

New to the form.I to have a SBE11 that stovepipes. When it ejects the empty hull it also ejects the next round. Not all the time but enough to consider trading.I've striped it down & thoroughly cleaned it but iy dosn't matter same results. Have tried Winchester Federal Remington & kent Let me know if you found out the problem is, Thanks

Mine was jamming the first 100 rounds or so at the skeet range, after each of the first couple outings you should break it down and flush everything out real good with gun scrubber to knock all of the junk out that comes loose and you will feel a big differance in how smooth the action is ( if your gun is like mine anyways). they realy do need a good break in my gun is now very slick & smooth.

I would stay away from FP-10, I jumped on the band wagon and it seems that was my problem

it gets very milky & nasty when wet and seems to gather up anything that gets near your gun. some of my gas guns just seemed to cycle slow with it also.

I test fired my gun yesterday with the loads that were failing and it's good to go now! (so far)

I cleaned "everything" in the gun again & got rid of the FP-10 and used the Benelli supplied lube. It ejected every shell the same distance and cycled well.

I havent had a chance to try it in the rain again but so far it looks like I found my problem.

Follow the guy's like Tuckers instructions on how to lube your gun and hopefully you will be all set!

Good luck Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

the stowpipe deal has happened to me as well, and did so again this past week. (SBEII). The infamous 'intermittent' problem - which makes it so hard to figure out.

I have cleaned everything on this gun, and do it each time I hunt. Just did so last night and will see how it performs Saturday...

Love the gun otherwise so i just have to work with it and I'll hopefully figure it out.

Kurt,

Mine doesn't even need rain!!! I love the gun but man, whats a gun worth if you don't have any faith in it working when your in the feild and you need it??? I've been on the phone with Benelli five times and got nothing but a run around and no help. I paid $1300 bucks for this gun because I wanted the "BEST". Man I'm starting to second guess myself now.

Steve

I have also had the problem with a brand new benelli, sbe II. I also broke mine in correctly and it cost me a great hunting trip in Canada. I will be sending mine back to benelli for them to fix if they can. The local dealer has already replaced my extrator plate on the inside of the barrell and that did help a little. We all need to call or send them back so they can fix the problem...my sbe never had this problem.

I tried mine again this weekend after a good cleaning and the **** thing did it again but this time it's not stove-pipeing it's flipping the empty completly backwards and just staying in the chamber...

Oh yea, one other thing.. Five voice mails left with Benelli and not one return call. What a bunch of B/S.

Browning....... Here I come!!!!!

6 posts, 3 posts, 8 posts, etc.

Lots of newbies with this relatively common problem with new Benellis.

If I saw guys with 1000 posts making the same complaints, I'd be more concerned.

No big deal guys, either Benelli will fix, or the problem will go away on it's own. I'm guessing Benelli CS ignores a fair share of the new owners complaints because they know the issue tends to fix itself.

It is very likely an issue of operator error and/or improper break in.

Hold a Benelli firmly when shooting and keep holding it while shooting. I can make my Benellis stovepipe by letting go while shooting or loosely gripping the gun. I can get lazy and let go sometimes. I have the most jams on straight overhead shots and shots from layout blinds.

I break in all my Benellis with turkey loads and have had no significant issues with the 12 or so Benellis I have used in the past 18 years.

Ditto on the FP10. I don't like it. To gummy and slow in all my guns. It attracts lots of grit & grime in my guns. I'll stick with BreakFree CLP for now.

Shame on the guy for bringing any brand new gun to Canada!

Good luck with Browning products. My new Silver Hunter fails every 3rd or 4th time. The bolt shucks the empty, but won't release the next shell. I am about 99% sure it's a combination of me not holding the gun firmly and the new recoil spring breaking in. I like the gun very much, but it's no Benelli.

I bought a Browning BPS last year and it failed right out of the box. Every brand of shells seized in the chamber. I sold it ASAP.

I'd love to know the name of the Benelli dealer that does in store warranty repairs. Is it Gooch's? I have never heard of a dealer doing warranty work on a new Benelli. I would not trust a gunshop to work on a brand new Benelli, I'd only trust a Benelli gunsmith at Benelli USA. Plus, there is no 'extractor plate inside the barrel', the ejector plate is inside the barrel. The extractor lives on the bolt head.

Also, watch out for the new special recoil pads. I've had several guns fail because of Hi-Viz & Limsaver pads. Sometimes they can throw off the timing of some semi-autos. That might be what's happening on my Silver Hunter. It does not jam with the nasty rock hard factory pad.

Good luck with your Benelli issues - they sell every Benelli they make as fast as they can get them here - so I really doubt there are any major quality control issues.

As for the Beretta Xtrema II, fine gun, buy one if you like it.

mudhen - CA

Mudhen,

Thanks for your response. I do appreciate input and advise from guys such as yourself that seem to have a lot of experience with Benelli. It's not that I don't like this gun, as a matter of fact I shoot like Annie Oakley with it, but if this is a problem that just needs to be worked through, I wish someone would have told me on my first, second or third call. I live in SD and the last two weeks are in mind the most important upland game hunting weeks of the year, not a good time for my new gun to let me down. Your comment "I have the most jams on straight overhead shots and shots from layout blinds." worries me, it sounds way to common.

I'm more then willing to work with Benelli's CS and get this problem fixed but it seems that no one there seems to return calls or seems the least bit concerned about little old me. I mean, is it realy to much to ask to have a brand new shotgun, WORK???

Thanks again Muhen, like I said, I do respect your opinion.

Not sure if I'm having really good luck with mine or what, but I have just over 400 rounds of 2-3/4 Dram 1-1/8oz. loads through my SBEII now right out of the box and no problem, even tried a box of 3" T steel, and a few 2-3/4" #4 lead and no problems at all. It has worked flawless out of the box with light loads, my brother has a SBE and his also has shot light loads from new also with no break in. I'm talking cheap old gun club loads and Wal-Mart loads. Only thing I have a complaint about is a flaw in the black finnish on my barrel, as long as in doesn't give me trouble down the road pealing I don't care. I just don't want to risk taking it back and getting a lemon. All I know for sure is if it keeps performing like it is, and along with not having to clean a gas chamber the price tag was worth it to me, have to love the way it splits in two. If it had a left hand side feed like my old B-2000 I might consider laying it between me and the wife in bed at night. LOL!!!

[ 11-07-2006, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: 71Dragtruck ]

Originally posted by 71Dragtruck:

Not sure if I'm having really good luck with mine or what, but I have just over 400 rounds of 2-3/4 Dram 1-1/8oz. loads through my SBEII now right out of the box and no problem, even tried a box of 3" T steel, and a few 2-3/4" #4 lead and no problems at all. It has worked flawless out of the box with light loads, my brother has a SBE and his also has shot light loads from new also with no break in. I'm talking cheap old gun club loads and Wal-Mart loads. Only thing I have a complaint about is a flaw in the black finnish on my barrel, as long as in doesn't give me trouble down the road pealing I don't care. I just don't want to risk taking it back and getting a lemon. All I know for sure is if it keeps performing like it is, and along with not having to clean a gas chamber the price tag was worth it to me, have to love the way it splits in two. If it had a left hand side feed like my old B-2000 I might consider laying it between me and the wife in bed at night. LOL!!!

No luck about it.

I've got maybe 75,000 rounds through all my Benellis with a handful of malfunctions of any kind.

Ditto on cleaning gas guns. I had forgotton what a hassle it is!

mudhen - CA

ditto on the thanks to Mudhen!

I will look closer at the issue of holding firm....Most of my issues do come with overhead shots and maybe I am not giving the gun a full shoulder to rest on. You've been a great help to me.

I appreciate the tip. smile.gif

[ 11-07-2006, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: duckfan ]

You guys are starting to scare me. I just returned from a very expensive truck ride. My waterfowl season is closed until Thanksgiving day and for most of this season I have had nothing but problems with my SBEI that I purchased back in 1998. I have had problems with it in the past but after getting on a first name basis with a Benelli gun tech after tyelling him that between august and march of every year about 8 cases of steel shells will cycle thru my gun . As of the end of last season my gun had all new parts except for the frame ( barrel and reciever) with replacement or aftermarket parts. I finally gave up and decided to spend the money to get my overworked carnage cane shipped to the professionals to see if they can breath new life into it. Driving home after leaving UPS I passed my local gun shop that I cant pass without stopping in. Whell I am not married and dont have any kids and make **** good money so I bought a SBEII. I have never posted or have never been signed onto this forum until I called my buddy to tell him the good news that I would still be shooting a ferrrari come opener on Thanksgiving. He was the one that told me to sign onto this forum and check out all the posts from the happy new SBEII owners. What the **** do I shoot now a sling shot or should I just let my lab crocket catch them and shred the **** out of them when those ganders land in my spread. I am not even going to take it out of the box until I find out what Benelli is going to do about my old gun.