Benelli M1super90 legal

Leon DeGamme

Hi, im new to this forum and need some legal info. I own a Benelli M1S90 with pistol grip stock, that I bought in 1998 from a local sporting goods franchise (Turners Outdoorsman) here in California. I have been reading lately that when the assault weapon ban ends next month, it may be legal to put the 4rd extension on the weapon in addition to the pistol grip stock. Now, I have also read the due to import laws with the Benelli (which mine apprears to be made in Italy) there are restrictions regarding these imported shotguns. There was some talk about having a certain number of US made parts or the weapon is in violation of importation laws?? Since I bought the weapon from a reputable dealer in 1998 can i be assured that the right amount of domestic/foreign parts are in the weapon or am I going to have to take the shotgun apart and start replacing parts? can i add the mag extension after the Assault weapon ban ends? I am very confused and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Leon,

First off, the good news is that I don't believe that your M1S90 is considered an assault weapon by CADOJ. In the CADOJ ban list are the Franchi Law 12, Franchi SPAS 12, Streetsweeper Type S/S & Stiker 12 are the only shotguns that are red flagged. Check here & scroll to page 9 to see.

I hate to bust your bubble on this subject though. Like other gun owners I do argee that the more rounds you could load into your shotgun/firearms the better and more fun when shooting them in the range. But I was told by multiple different sales people and some gun shop owners here in CA that you can either have one or the other. A pistol grip without the mag. extension or vise versa (the mag. extension w/ the regular stock (w/out the pistol grip).

I don't really know how much the AW ban sunset will affect us here in CA (not much from what I hear). But you never know and I do hope for it to sunset just like every gun owner, collector and enthusist in the entire US.

I'm sure that If I was wrong in my posting here that someone will chime in to make the corrections.

Best to all! :D

[ 08-31-2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: M10144me ]

regarding California law the shotgun is considered a illegal assault weapon if it has both of the following:

(A) A folding or telescoping stock.

(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Those are the only rules regarding shotguns per the Cali D.O.J. Amazingly they are less restrictive then the federal laws. So, you would be able to have the mag extension on your shotgun with pistol grip.

My question is regarding the legality of IMPORTED shotguns like my Benelli that was made in Italy. There is a seperate set of laws that govern whats legal for these weapons. There has to be a certain number (10 or less I believe) of imported parts and it has to be considered "suitable for sporting purposes" or it is a violation. I am racking my brain trying to figure out what is legal to do to a IMPORTED firearm. How do i know it has the right amount of imported parts? what can I legally do to modify my imported weapon? can I add the extended mag and keep my pistol grip or would it not be considered suitable for sporting purposes?

Should've read more and I do stand corrected specially after reading page 72 and found out that my post is wrong. Sorry about that... :(

Re. the 10 US parts needed to conform w/ the AW laws... :confused:

I'll try to do a search on it and will get back to you.

Regards for now...

[ 08-31-2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: M10144me ]

I would really like to get a definate answer on this one. Apparently its not the Assault Weapn Ban that is limiting the number of rounds a benelli can have...its a import law that states that a imported shotgun can not have more the 5 round capability. But this is all hear-say until i find out specifically what law it is.

Originally posted by Leon DeGamme:

I would really like to get a definate answer on this one. Apparently its not the Assault Weapn Ban that is limiting the number of rounds a benelli can have...its a import law that states that a imported shotgun can not have more the 5 round capability. But this is all hear-say until i find out specifically what law it is.

Originally posted by Leon DeGamme:

Hello Leon DeGamme,

I suggest that you contact the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) at the NRA. Perhaps they have information on laws for your specific location. If not, I bet they can point you in the right direction.

Nelli Girl

shotguns are not really considered an assault weapon by the Guvm't. All benelli shotguns are made in Italy, and none of them are required to have fewer than the 10 "named" imported parts because only guns with a pistol grip/flash hider/ bayonet lug/detachable box magazine are in that catagory

[ 09-05-2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: madecov ]