Which charging handle to get ?

Gmcrigger2007

13 hours ago, Gmcrigger2007 said:

What s the recommend charging Handle these days for the Benelli m4? I was thinking of getting either the freedom Fighter Tactical 3/4 Steel or the titanium handle. Just looking for something to grasp a little easier.

Thanks for the recommendations.

most def you want the 3/4 titanium baby from freedom fighter tactiCOOL

screenshot_1346.jpg

I usually use a stainless TTI one. I don’t care for knurling on the knob since it can cut up my hand when I’m going fast. Some have issues with the TTI knob over inserting. I’ve never experienced this on several M4’s and dozen of clients’ shotguns. 

I had a carriercomp knob, and it was a masterpiece of engineering. It was knurled though and would chew up my fingers when running it hard. They’re practically vaporware these days. When found they go for an insane premium price of like 450 dollars. Lighter than the stock handle by a few grams too. 

The titanium FFT bolt handle gets chewed up over time by the detent in the bolt carrier. Steel wins over titanium in durability. So the notches the detent fits into get chewed up and eventually the bolt handle will just fall out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoTycoon said:

Just stay away from GG&G. I had one that would, periodically, fall out during cycling and finally broke leaving most of the shaft in the bolt.

youre the 1st ive heard anyone claim the GGG handle was a pooper.

one of mine has tons of abuse and is ok.

22 hours ago, 12508 said:

I like the KZ version.  It is just a larger version of the factory knob.

Have abused it in a few classes and it runs fine.

https://www.botach.com/kz-benelli-m4-ergonomic-3x-oversized-charging-handle/

I’m also running this one, but I didn’t get it from Botach since they have the worst customer service. The original shape of the factory one is that way because it’s designed also as a disassembly tool. That’s why I chose this one, because it retains the same functions.  

0AE86B74-8C21-46B0-9EF7-D907835316BC.thumb.jpeg.27a08d87971a8709258983f93a66ee7d.jpeg

Edited by Sigma05
  • Like 1

I have the FFT 1/2" titanium handle.  It fell out yesterday after about 80 rounds of bird shot.  Luckily for me it wasn't during firing; it just fell at my feet and my buddies, said, "Dude, look!"  I re-installed and gave it a tug and shot another 20 rounds or so without incident.  If I just pissed in someone's cornflakes, my apologies!  Next time I go to the range I'll take my OEM as a spare and will update this forum if it happens again.

Birddog -

Since there is three indents on the bottom of the charging handle that index with the detent in the bolt carrier, one of these notches may be damaged, so the other two still retain the bolt knob for now. You might be able to visually see which one is boogered up and avoid using that notch. Or maybe reach out to FFT and see if they'll warranty it.

6 hours ago, Birdog19 said:

I have the FFT 1/2" titanium handle.  It fell out yesterday after about 80 rounds of bird shot.  Luckily for me it wasn't during firing; it just fell at my feet and my buddies, said, "Dude, look!"  I re-installed and gave it a tug and shot another 20 rounds or so without incident.  If I just pissed in someone's cornflakes, my apologies!  Next time I go to the range I'll take my OEM as a spare and will update this forum if it happens again.

I hate to laugh but it’s not at your situation.  Todd from FFT just posted a new charging handle video on YouTube yesterday.  He went on and on about how the steel and ti handles will both serve you for an entire lifetime.  He further continued to say that the ti handles might get some dings but they will never fall out.  Too crazy.  Unless you didn’t have it fully inserted but I would guess that you know what you’re doing.

Sorry to hear about your handle.  Hopefully, he’ll take care of you.

Edited by Milspec

FFT Charging Handle Update: 

I examined both the FFT and OEM charging handle detents and they look identical under a magnifying glass -- nothing more scientific than that.  While installed, both handles will rotate through the 3 detents in similar fashion with similar force required.  With a bit of playing with the charging handle, I found it possible to have the handle fail to drop into the spring loaded locked position (detents) but instead stay in what I'll call Top Dead Center, or, the removal position.  I applied a little oil to the detents on the end of the handles and I was still able to attain the TDC (removal) position without it locking into a detent.  I also found that the FFT handle rotated a little more freely than the OEM after oiling.

So what does this all mean?  Depending on your technique for racking the gun, meaning index finger, pinky finger, back of the hand, weak hand thumb, etc., it is possible to rotate the bolt handle just slightly into the TDC or removal position.  While the spring in the BCG usually snaps (rotates) the handle into a locked detent position, it may not.  In my case I rolled the gun over and it just fell out.

So Danger, have you heard of anything Stranger?!  Should I buy a lottery ticket?!

Get a Powerball ticket!

I’d take it out and test it some more to see if it vanishes on you again before doing anything more drastic. You could have had it installed where it wasn’t retaining it well. It’s not the best design to be honest. It’s one of those Italian engineer things like how the rear sling mount is installed in the Standard stocks. 

• Like 1

Powerball ticket, Aye!

I thought about a poor initial installation as well but I figured I would have lost it before 80+ rounds.   I'm leaning more toward twisting the handle through manual of arms to the point where it was TDC.  Currently I can rotate the handle to all 3 detents and give it a tug and it is secure.  Quien sabes?

I'm looking at getting some Grade 8 bolts and throwing them on a grinder, so I can make shafts for the charging handle that have a head and a short threaded section.  That way, I can turn different handles in 1/2", or 3/4" or plastic or steel or aluminum, and they'll screw on and still have a steel shaft.  My issue is that I don't own an M4 to test with, and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to sell enough charging handles to make $1800 to pay for one, so R&D will be interesting ?

1 hour ago, shootingsight said:

I'm looking at getting some Grade 8 bolts and throwing them on a grinder, so I can make shafts for the charging handle that have a head and a short threaded section.  That way, I can turn different handles in 1/2", or 3/4" or plastic or steel or aluminum, and they'll screw on and still have a steel shaft.  My issue is that I don't own an M4 to test with, and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to sell enough charging handles to make $1800 to pay for one, so R&D will be interesting ?

new benelli m4 is $1540 here in Kentucky.   namely BUDS GUNS

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, shootingsight said:

Where did you find it?  I looked at Bud's and they are $1800 for the black, $2000 for the H2O, same as all other places I looked.

i literally bought another one 4 days ago for $1540......i know what their website says, ....but call them about a cash price