Which charging handle to get ?

Gmcrigger2007

8 hours ago, shootingsight said:

LOL.  From Bud's:

"Thank you for contacting us here at Budsgunshop.com! We greatly appreciate your patronage.  Unfortunately, we would not be able to honor an older price."

No worries, a used one will pop up sooner or later.

older price???? it was literally 5 days ago

ROFL ROFL!!!   they DO SUCK when it comes to calling them on the phone !!!!

On 10/8/2019 at 7:49 AM, Sigma05 said:

I’m also running this one, but I didn’t get it from Botach since they have the worst customer service. The original shape of the factory one is that way because it’s designed also as a disassembly tool. That’s why I chose this one, because it retains the same functions.  

0AE86B74-8C21-46B0-9EF7-D907835316BC.thumb.jpeg.27a08d87971a8709258983f93a66ee7d.jpeg

Yes fk botach.

Those slimes failed to ship even after giving me tracking. Then claimed i was getting a refund which never transpired. I think my credit card co finally ate it

So here is what I'm playing with so far.  I got Grade 8 alloy bolts, which I'm turning down so they have 1/4" of thread, and then are a shaft.  Thought is I'll turn 3/4" hollow aluminum handles that are cup shaped on the CNC lathe, so these alloy bolts will thread through from the inside, and I'll have alloy steel shafts with aluminum handles.  People who want weight savings, or want anodized colors, can get it without sacrificing the strength of the shaft. 

I had hoped that the larger diameter would get down to the thread base, and it didn't, so it looks a little amateurish (which is fine, because I'm not being paid to do this).  I'm not going to worry for these prototypes.  I might make a few where I just go a little deeper, to clean it up.  Ultimately, I'll do the shafts on a screw machine, so they look decent.

I'll dress a grinding wheel to create the radiused cut, and add the 3 cuts on a surface grinder.

The head of these bolts is 1/2", so I have 7075 bar that is 3/4".  1/2" hole in one end means it will have 1/8" walls, so I can add a few grooves, or a slight hourglass cut. or maybe some knurling.  If anyone has ideas for what they would like to see and/or can sketch it up, post a picture or just describe your ideas, I might be able to try them out.

DSC_0226.JPG

Edited by shootingsight

On 10/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, StrangerDanger said:

I usually use a stainless TTI one. I don’t care for knurling on the knob since it can cut up my hand when I’m going fast. Some have issues with the TTI knob over inserting. I’ve never experienced this on several M4’s and dozen of clients’ shotguns. 

I had a carriercomp knob, and it was a masterpiece of engineering. It was knurled though and would chew up my fingers when running it hard. They’re practically vaporware these days. When found they go for an insane premium price of like 450 dollars. Lighter than the stock handle by a few grams too. 

The titanium FFT bolt handle gets chewed up over time by the detent in the bolt carrier. Steel wins over titanium in durability. So the notches the detent fits into get chewed up and eventually the bolt handle will just fall out. 

Is CarrierComp still open for business? I ordered a tube 2 weeks ago but never received any info on the follower/spring. I also sent a few emails and contact requests through the websites but haven't heard anything back. It also looks like the address is "permanently closed" on Google: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Kip+Carrier+10031+Candlestick+Lane+Pensacola,+Florida+32514

On 10/26/2019 at 5:39 PM, shootingsight said:

If anyone has ideas for what they would like to see and/or can sketch it up, post a picture or just describe your ideas, I might be able to try them out.

I was very much impressed with the 1/2 inch steel version from Freedom Fighter Tactical in terms of the fit and ergonomics. . .until it came flying out of the weapon and onto the floor at around the 70 round mark. This was with a Benelli M4 14-inch using Winchester #1 buckshot 2 3/4 inch shells (16 pellets). I would personally like to see something like this, but which is bet-your-ass reliable in a self-defense context.

https://freedomfightertactical.com/collections/benelli-m4-tactical-shotgun-parts-and-accessories/products/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-half-inch-diameter-steel-tactical-charging-handle-for-benelli-m4-shotgun

Whatever you make, above all else, it has to NOT spontaneously eject itself from the bolt carrier when firing the weapon. 

20 hours ago, Lossiter said:

I was very much impressed with the 1/2 inch steel version from Freedom Fighter Tactical in terms of the fit and ergonomics. . .until it came flying out of the weapon and onto the floor at around the 70 round mark. This was with a Benelli M4 14-inch using Winchester #1 buckshot 2 3/4 inch shells (16 pellets). I would personally like to see something like this, but which is bet-your-ass reliable in a self-defense context.

Whatever you make, above all else, it has to NOT spontaneously eject itself from the bolt carrier when firing the weapon. 

That seems to be the sticking point with these AM bolt handles....they are not reliable in that, the detents are not done correctly so that they don't eject or fall out of the bolt carrier.

There also may be a question of proper steel hardness/wear resistance as well.

I happen to like the OEM handle both in design and aesthetically. The only change I would make to the OEM handle is to make it a wee bit larger but, not very much. It seems by the pics in this thread, someone has done that.

The question is if they do the detent cuts correctly to prevent unwanted disassembly..

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, DEBWB said:

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone has purchased from Arms Unlimited lately? Some of the reviews scare me, but they have the charging at a really good sale price right now.

Thanks

I've bought a few stuff from them without issue. Most recently last week a surefire x300u and took only a few days to get shipping info. They're GTG.

Edited by aznwhip

14 hours ago, DEBWB said:

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone has purchased from Arms Unlimited lately? Some of the reviews scare me, but they have the charging at a really good sale price right now.

Thanks

Well I just ordered one too since the price was right. It's pretty hard to beat that price.  I hope they're decent. Thanks for posting this.

I give Unlimited Arms a thumbs-up as well.  Ordered a few items 1.5 months ago when no one else had items in-stock.  Best price I could find on in-stock items and good shipping.  Also ordered the charging handle from BOTACH and they defied their poor reputation with good price and fast shipping (I was surprised)!