No News from Benelli

DC50

I'm new to Benelli and plan to purchase an SBEII within the month. I've been researching Benelli extensively on the web and like mostly everything I hear, but Benelli hasn't released a news article on their site for over six months. Why the long stretch, is that typical in the gun industry? I also sent them an email asking about 2006 SBEII changes and new models, but received no response after nearly two weeks. Someone mentioned announcements at the Las Vegas SHOT show, so does that mean Benelli is in stealth mode...

It worked last time, so here goes;

I think Benelli is not planning any changes for 2006. It's an 20+ year old design, and they just don't see any real need for change. How long did the A5 lead the way?

I think the real creative influence comes from Beretta USA. Watch for them to continue to steal the show with the Xtrema II.

Benelli USA is just along for the ride with it's big brother Beretta USA leading the way.

mudhen - CA

DC50,

The Extrema is a gas gun. I have a Beretta 303 which is an earlier model of a Beretta gas gun. I like it a lot, but the Benelli Inertia system is less complicated and potentially less subject to problems from extreme hunting conditions and lack of cleaning. I am not saying anything negative about the Beretta, but you can't go wrong with the proven design of the SBE!

Thanks for the feedback folks, I appreciate it and hope to hear more opinions. I took a look at the Xtreme2 tonight online and it is also a very attractive gun that appears to compete head-on with the SBE2 (based on features and cost). I realize I need to handle both guns before making a final decision; I doubt I'll get to shoot them before purchasing.

As for differences, yes the big difference is Beretta gas versus Benelli inertia. I'm new to semi's (have a pump), but hear gas is easier on the sholder and more reliable for cycling, while inertia requires less maintenance and is easily cleaned. The SBEII also has the big trigger guard and is a lighter gun. Both have their versions of secondary shock depressor systems inthe stock, and then there's Benelli's smoother CrioTech barrel versus Berreta's anti-rust Aqua barrel. Other than that, features and innovation seem similar. Guess I should concentrate on a gun that offers good cycling, reliability, and feel, to help with my choice.

Here are the deciding points between the Xtrema and the SBE as I see them. #1 is recoil. If you are at all recoil sensitive then the Xtrema would probably be best. But if your pump gun doesn't bother you then an SBE won't either. A Sims or X-coil recoil pad will really reduce the felt recoil if you need it. #2 is maintenance. It takes me 20 seconds (maybe less) to completely disassemble my SBE for cleaning and that includes the bolt assembly. The Xtrema is a bit more involved and complicated but I suppose it's not a huge issue. Every time I take my SBE apart I just marvel at how simple it is. Cleaning the recoil spring and tube is a little more involved but that's usually just an annual thing.

I shot pumps for 23 years before I got my SBE and it just felt more familiar to me than the Xtrema. At a distance I think they even look like a pump.

Both are excellent guns and I have friends who won't give up their Xtremas. I won't give up my SBE.

Check around with gun clubs and hunting organizations to see if you can try out both before you buy.

All great feedback, thanks folks. After hearing the various companies mentioned acquired by Berrata, curiousity got the best of me and I researched some of the links. I found shotguns on Stoegor that appear to use Benelli parts, and then there's Franchi; all others seem non-shotgun products. Anyone have the skinny on these alternative shotguns?

Thanks tucker301, I'm aware of the links and had checked them out, but I'm wondering what sets these shotguns apart from Benelli. I would think there must be something unique with each mfgr's product (price, feature, options, purpose...), otherwise wouldn't they be competing against Benelli which doesn't seem to make any sense.