Enjoying my new Forend

sonyman74

6 hours ago, sonyman74 said:

I know some folks don't like the Strike Industries Benelli M4 Hayl Rail due to the set screws but I'm loving it so far.

IMG_0703 2.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

Holy sweet Jebus.... what is that giant refrigerator sized monstrosity sitting on top of that M4?

no, just noooooooooooooooo.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, sonyman74 said:

Yes it is. I didn’t really like the gold color but it shoots amazing. 

If you don't mind, would you start a new thread on it, or just add a little input here on what you like about it and how it's different from the factory trigger?

I have the Taran Tactical set up in mine and I like it, but i'm always looking for better upgrades. 

4 hours ago, sonyman74 said:

And there is nothing wrong with my Vortex.  I like it and I have no problem using it.  Works great.

yes there is, that mass will over time SHEER the screws that hold the pic rail to the frame of the M4

AND OR it will most def. splay out the threaded holes for same on the M4

just cause something "works" doesnt make it a good idea.  

13 hours ago, kenw111 said:

yes there is, that mass will over time SHEER the screws that hold the pic rail to the frame of the M4

Have you seen this happen? I ask because I have an 870 with the same setup and thousands of rounds through it. The 870 doesn’t absorb some of the recoil like semi autos do. I also have a .50 cal bolt gun with a similar mount and has also not had any issues. I haven’t used mine that much but there are plenty out there fielded in combat with quite a few rounds through them, and no mount failures. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kenw111 said:

Well, for a gun that has been in the use of the Marines for many years before such smaller optics like the MRO and XPS2 or XPS3 they used a lot of the EoTech 512's.  My first M4 had a 512 with several thousand rounds with no problem.  The Vortex is only 2 oz more in weight.  The way I see it, if it can't handle it, I DON'T NEED IT.  

1 hour ago, Sigma05 said:

Have you seen this happen? I ask because I have an 870 with the same setup and thousands of rounds through it. The 870 doesn’t absorb some of the recoil like semi autos do. I also have a .50 cal bolt gun with a similar mount and has also not had any issues. I haven’t used mine that much but there are plenty out there fielded in combat with quite a few rounds through them, and no mount failures. 

Never heard or seen it happen.  If the proven combat shot gun can't handle the 11.5 oz optic then it's not worth having. Until the day that it fails it will still be my go to shotty!!!

28 minutes ago, sonyman74 said:

Never heard or seen it happen.  If the proven combat shot gun can't handle the 11.5 oz optic then it's not worth having. Until the day that it fails it will still be my go to shotty!!!

I agree completely with you and concur. I was just curious if he had some insight we didn’t. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sigma05 said:

WHUUUUT!!!!!   yes i have, ....and your 870 is STEEEEEEEL.........  (rolls eyes) ......... the Benelli M4 frame is ALUUUUUUUUMINUM.

10 minutes ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Funny how no one on this strictly Benelli oriented forum has ever reported such a thing happening to a Benelli shotgun.

thats because 99.999999999% of everyone on this forum is too intelligent to mount an elephant sized and weighted optic on top of a Benelli.

Nobody on earth has a video / picture of a bear dying of old age in the forest either......but such absurd logic, that never happens either!

Oh, and another thing - a shotgun, ANY shotgun, should only ever be considered as a secondary support weapon and NEVER a primary weapon, a primary weapon being a suitable MBR. Attempting to use a shotty as a primary weapon is a huge mistake and puts one at a disadvantage IMO. I view a shotty in the same role as a sidearm, i.e. something to confidently allow me to get to my MBR or AR platform pistol.

16 minutes ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Got any examples of a Benelli M4 aluminum receiver failing where the rail is mounted?

Photos or it didn't happen.

Funny how no one on this strictly Benelli oriented forum has ever reported such a thing happening to a Benelli shotgun.

You said above :  "Funny how no one on this strictly Benelli oriented forum has ever reported"

ohh snap, you spoke too soon, ...... seems your 100% WRONG

took me 5 seconds to find an example ON THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!

let me quote from the below::::

My Picatinny rail flew off the gun during shooting (I had an Aimpoint on the rail)! Worse, several of the receiver screw holes are stripped.

The rangemaster (who is also a gun smith) said this is not at all surprising considering the recoil of the shotgun. He sees it fairly often.

huge mass aimpoint he had on it !

screenshot_1469.jpg

Edited by kenw111
edit

Interestingly the poster in that thread failed to mention which model Aimpoint "flew off." Was it a Micro, M4Comp, PRO, M3Comp, etc.?

I'm thinking that just to be safe NO ONE should mount ANY optic to the Benelli rail. /s

And thank you for reinforcing my notion that some people are never wrong.

1 minute ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Interestingly the poster in that thread failed to mention which model Aimpoint "flew off." Was it a Micro, M4Comp, PRO, M3Comp, etc.?

I'm thinking that just to be safe NO ONE should mount ANY optic to the Benelli rail. /s

Ahem,...Im a conceal carry instructor, i own my own shooting range, worked in 3 gun shops, 2 as a gunsmith.

let me lay down some PHYSICS

1. gun recoils backwards

2. giant MASS / WEIGHT optic (the wrong kind of huuuuge optics<<<) sits on top and RESISTS MOVEMENT

3. xxxx 1000s (very few) of shots fired and the rail SHEERS OFF /FALLS OFF cause either 1. the screws SHEER OFF.......2. the THREADS GET STRIPPED and the rail FALLS off.

Benelli will flat out tell you to never mount Elephantine optics on any of their shotguns.    But if people wanna learn the hard way, mmmmkay.

Ive seen it happen twice, once was Eotech, the other an offbrand junk-box of equal size (i forget the chinese mfg.)

1 hour ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Whoooooops, heres yet ANOTHER guy who thought it a hot idea to mount a nasty big MASS to his M4 Benelli, ...the rail FLEW OFF

this time was a side-saddle attached to the top PIC RAIL and its screws.

screenshot_1471.jpg