Benelli M4 +2 magazine extension, how to installl?

Skull and Bones

Dave's Metal Works has a full length steel made in the USA M4 magazine tube for $74.98 and that will give you one Made in the USA component toward your 922(r) component count whereas that Benelli magazine extension is not made in the USA while causing you to not meet the 922(r) requirement with the increased magazine capacity.

http://davesmetalworks.com/m4.html

2 hours ago, Skull and Bones said:

Thinking about picking this up, any success?

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/81043

buy from this guy, hes cheaper, he has tons of benelli parts, and yes its a REAL tube, ......ive bought from him many times before

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Benelli-M4-Factory-Extension-2-shot-81043-Black-New/173963550751?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

6 hours ago, kenw111 said:

buy from this guy, hes cheaper, he has tons of benelli parts, and yes its a REAL tube, ......ive bought from him many times before

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Benelli-M4-Factory-Extension-2-shot-81043-Black-New/173963550751?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks! Any tips or tricks as far as install? Same spring, follower, ?

Edited by Skull and Bones

If you put that made in Italy Benelli magazine extension on your M4 you will need at least three 'Made in the USA' parts added otherwise you'll be in violation of 922(r) (if you have a C stock instead of a fixed stock you will need a total of four 'Made in the USA' parts) - i.e. unless you're not the least bit concerned about 922(r) compliance.

FYI, that Benelli magazine extension is steel, just like the OEM magazine tube and Dave's Metal Works full length magazine tube so you'd be spending an additional $50 just to have the Benelli name (which is nowhere to be seen on the extension itself) AND it will appear pieced together rather than the way a M4 should look. Why pay an additional $50 for that?? A M4 looks so much better with a full length mag tube instead of a pieced together mag tube.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

If you put that made in Italy Benelli magazine extension on your M4 you will need at least three 'Made in the USA' parts added otherwise you'll be in violation of 922(r) (if you have a C stock instead of a fixed stock you will need a total of four 'Made in the USA' parts) - i.e. unless you're not the least bit concerned about 922(r) compliance.

FYI, that Benelli magazine extension is steel, just like the OEM magazine tube and Dave's Metal Works full length magazine tube so you'd be spending an additional $50 just to have the Benelli name (which is nowhere to be seen on the extension itself) AND it will appear pieced together rather than the way a M4 should look. Why pay an additional $50 for that?? A M4 looks so much better with a full length mag tube instead of a pieced together mag tube.

not true.... by adding a +2 tube its super easy to clean the tube (most peeps are lazy as hell and never do it), and change the spring (which you should do regularly).

a FULL TUBE you have to remove the damned split ring cap to un-spring it and clean the tube.  a +2 is far more handy for breaking the gun down.....its ALL factory, and it does NOT look "pieced together" by having a +2 tube

4 hours ago, Skull and Bones said:

Thanks! Any tips or tricks as far as install? Same spring, follower, ?

get the stainless daves metal works springs for a full tube, but you CAN use the same spring, many people do.

youll need to move the split ring CAP at the end of the factor 5 round tube to the END of the +2 tube, but thats easy as hell.

screw it all together, dont forget to grease the threads.

While there are no *known* (at least that I know of) prosecutions for 922(r) violations, disregard the 922(r) regs at your own peril.

922(r) applies specifically to what two posters in this thread are suggesting to do, i.e. change the magazine capacity without the appropriate number of 'Made in the USA' components to be in line with 922(r) compliance.

Also, no one should be advocating doing anything illegal on this forum regardless of one's opinion on the statute(s).

Edited by Sukhoi_fan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

While there are no *known* (at least that I know of) prosecutions for 922(r) violations, disregard the 922(r) regs at your own peril.

Also, no one should be advocating doing anything illegal on this forum regardless of one's opinion on the statute(s).

adding a +2 does not IMPLY or SAY one should violate 922r

I never SAID, NOR IMPLIED any such nonsense. 

youve created a STRAWMAN FALLACY assuming anyone here was saying or advocating a 922r violation.

It's noteworthy that you never included any warning about increasing magazine capacity without 922(r) compliance.

It's genuinely asinine to suggest to someone that they increase their magazine capacity with a made in Italy component which costs $50 more than a full length Made in the USA magazine tube that doesn't make the M4 look cobbled together while throwing off the 922(r) compliant components count (i.e. causing one to figure out which other Made in the USA components one should install). Some of us want to keep the aftermarket parts count as low as possible, e.g. Made in the USA full length magazine tube, a magazine follower (that's the easy one besides the mag tube), and possibly the handguards or buttstock (if one doesn't want to mess with the fire control). Keep it simple.

Any conversation about increasing magazine capacity goes hand in hand with 922(r) compliance whether one agrees with it or not.

Spending an additional $50 plus adding to the Made in USA parts count requirement - JPS syndrome.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

56 minutes ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

It's noteworthy that you never included any warning about increasing magazine capacity without 922(r) compliance.

It's genuinely asinine to suggest to someone that they increase their magazine capacity with a made in Italy component which costs $50 more than a full length Made in the USA magazine tube that doesn't make the M4 look cobbled together while throwing off the 922(r) compliant components count (i.e. causing one to figure out which other Made in the USA components one should install). Some of us want to keep the aftermarket parts count as low as possible, e.g. Made in the USA full length magazine tube, a magazine follower (that's the easy one besides the mag tube), and possibly the handguards or buttstock (if one doesn't want to mess with the fire control). Keep it simple.

Any conversation about increasing magazine capacity goes hand in hand with 922(r) compliance whether one agrees with it or not.

Spending an additional $50 plus adding to the Made in USA parts count requirement - JPS syndrome.

its noteworthy HOW FAST i proved you wrong in that other thread about mass on top of the pic rail,.... its even EASIER to do so here.

1. its the responsibility of the owner before modding the gun / shotgun to LEARN 922R compliance regulations and the PARTS LIST and NUMBER OF PARTS needed to make it 922r

2. putting on a Italy genuine +2 DOES NOT KEEP ANYONE FROM MAKING THE M4 922r COMPLIANT with the appropriate parts and number of same.

3. Keep it simple?????? there is NOTHING MORE SIMPLE that adding a +2 and then a USA made follower, stock set, hammer, disconnector, trigger etc......

thats FAR easier than using a heat gun to remove the 5 round BASE TUBE

and it makes the gun 10000X easier to clean the shell tube / replace springs.

Some people (for the reasons just listed) do NOT want a FULL TUBE,............NOR does doing this make it "harder" to make said gun 922r compliant.

Please dont waste my time, or the OP time posting illogical hyperbole and inaccurate subjective opinions.

922r compliance parts list / possibles,  easiest highlighted in black.

1. Receiver
  2. Barrel
  3. Bolt
  4. Bolt carrier
  5. Gas piston
  6. Trigger housing
  7. Trigger
  8. Hammer
  9. Disconnector
  10. Buttstock (with integral pistol grip)
  11. Forearm/handguard (forend)
  12. Magazine body
  13. Follower

Notice that the “magazine body” is in the list. This is the magazine tube. So, if you install a full length magazine tube on your gun, you are replacing the factory magazine tube, so you now only need to install two more parts off the list to be in full compliance with 922(r).

Notice that the three parts must be USA made and totally replaced. Therefore, the installation of a magazine EXTENSION does not count towards 922(r) compliance. To use the EXTENSION, the user must still replace a total of three other parts off that list in order to be compliant with federal law. The reason the EXTENSION tube does not count towards compliance is because you mustreplace the original part with the USA made part, and using the EXTENSION does not replace the original magazine tube, it only extends it.

The ATF specifically stated in the letter we received that “no paperwork or fees are required to alter your weapon as long as the barrel length is kept above 18 inches, the weapon features a shoulder stock, and the resulting firearm retains an overall length of at least 26 inches (with stock extended).” Additionally, ATF agents we have spoken to at the SHOT Show have informed us that it is not necessary that the parts are stamped with marks identifying the part as made in the USA, but it is a nice precaution that any parts one uses to achieve compliance are indeed marked as made in the United States.

It should be noted that this discussion in general presumes you are either using the Benelli OEM stock or an aftermarket stock, and NOT the Benelli M4 collapsible stock. For those using the Benelli brand collapsible stock, you actually increase the 922(r) part count by one, meaning you would need to replace a total of four (4) other parts to achieve compliance. This is because the original Benelli M4 stock is a stock with an integrated pistol grip. The Benelli collapsible stock is two pieces comprised of the stock as one piece and the pistol grip as another piece.

• Like 1

IMHO

Do it the right way and buy a full tube of your choice. Titanium if you can afford it, metal works just as good (stronger) but heavier. Daves metal works is a great tube.

The only reason to use a +2 extension is because you either plan on switching back and forth between a short barrel and OEM barrel,  OR you lack the ability/confidence to install a full length tube onto the receiver. 

Any other excuse to go with a +2 is BS  "easier cleaning" ?    and is usually someone trying to justify not doing so to begin with. 

Adding a full tube is not hard to do and instructions are ll over the web for doing so. Most of us here would be glad to help. 

..but either way you decide to go, I would purchase a longer spring and trim as needed. The short spring may be just enough to work at home with dummy rnds, but at the range the inertia and extra weight of slugs......you may find yourself cursing allot. 

And if you purchase a Carrier Comp mag tube, you'll get a Wolff spring and a follower in the package which gives you 2 of the 3 922r required compliant parts.  I bought both a CC and FFT tube.  I set the FFT tube on the floor while unpacking and it rolled a little bit and seemed to not be perfectly straight.  I set it on a flat desk top on rolled it some more.  Yup, it had a little bend to it.  I doubt it would make much of a difference in operation, but I was a little surprised by it.  The CC tube maybe had a little bend to it given the same test but it was barely discernable.  The CC tube is on my gun.

1 hour ago, Birdog19 said:

And if you purchase a Carrier Comp mag tube, you'll get a Wolff spring and a follower in the package which gives you 2 of the 3 922r required compliant parts.  I bought both a CC and FFT tube.  I set the FFT tube on the floor while unpacking and it rolled a little bit and seemed to not be perfectly straight.  I set it on a flat desk top on rolled it some more.  Yup, it had a little bend to it.  I doubt it would make much of a difference in operation, but I was a little surprised by it.  The CC tube maybe had a little bend to it given the same test but it was barely discernable.  The CC tube is on my gun.

Very interesting. And I commend you on your attention to detail for most wouldn't even have noticed. 

I think where it would be noticed the most is after the installation. After everything was put back together, oiled and back on the wall or shelf....And THEN you would see it one day while walking by. That perfect space between the barrel and magazine isn't perfect...

Depending on how the bent tube was seated, it would either bow outward away from the barrel or bow inward. Either way I'd be so freaking angry...?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

FYI, The Benelli has nothing to do with 922(r), since it can be imported to the USA. I don't know anyone who has banned the Benelli M4 from importation in any state (double check your localities). Anyone telling you to be compliant, is just looking to profit off of selling you parts. Again, that gun ain't banned in any configuration from importation to the USA. There are military and civilian models, both are imported to USA. So, what are we talking about.

An AK-47 on the other hand, you'd be hard pressed getting one in the states, and therefore would have to "assemble it from domestic parts, having no more than 10 imported parts." Bc that gun is HOT (meaning, suspect af).

On 10/6/2022 at 12:20 PM, EugeneBatiste said:

FYI, The Benelli has nothing to do with 922(r), since it can be imported to the USA. I don't know anyone who has banned the Benelli M4 from importation in any state (double check your localities). Anyone telling you to be compliant, is just looking to profit off of selling you parts. Again, that gun ain't banned in any configuration from importation to the USA. There are military and civilian models, both are imported to USA. So, what are we talking about.

An AK-47 on the other hand, you'd be hard pressed getting one in the states, and therefore would have to "assemble it from domestic parts, having no more than 10 imported parts." Bc that gun is HOT (meaning, suspect af).

It appears your logic is flawed. IF a Benelli M4 with a 'high capacity magazine' and/or a 'collapsible stock' configuration is prohibited from being imported and sold to anyone except military and police in the USA then how does 922(r) not apply to 'neutered' Benelli M4s???

Anyone selling a +2 mag extension for a Benelli M4 should include a 922(r) warning, otherwise they're just greedy looking to sell parts to the willfully ignorant.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

9 minutes ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Anyone telling you to be compliant, is just looking to profit off of selling you parts.

And FYI, while I don't encourage others to open themselves up to exposure to the potential for real trouble I also don't sell 'compliance' parts and never have. Of course 922(r) shouldn't exist. Again your logic is flawed.

It's extremely irresponsible to encourage others to potentially do anything which will draw the attention of Johnny Fed.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan