What is H2O?

shootingsight

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Ouch. I wonder if they’re getting swamped with work too? I’ve got a couple projects going there soon, hopefully this isn’t a five month cluster F.

I don't know why all the stuff I sent in through April wouldn't be in the same batch as my M4.  I know I'm not privy to the inner workings of their business but it seems odd.

I totally get it if the items I sent in a week and a half ago didn't make the cut.  However the status of my M4 was updated on 6/25 to finish in process.  It would only be logical to expect that everything up to April should have went out with it??  I'm not upset, I mean it comes when it comes.  I would rather have it be right than rushed.  I'm just confused on this one.

Edited by Milspec

7 hours ago, Vertigofirearms said:

I noticed you didn't list the bolt itself to be NP3 plated. Is that usually left hard chrome on the H2O?

I listed it as ‘bolt head’. It’s worth doing. It’ll rotate in the carrier smoother and be permanently lubricated for engaging the lugs on the barrel. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2020 at 9:09 PM, StrangerDanger said:

The Cerakote model has phosphate beneath the paint job. The naming of the finish leads a lot of people to believe it is some special finish. Titanium refers to the color of the Cerakote, not some kind of special blend of herbs and spices suspending titanium for some benefit. 

The shop doing the paint work for Benelli likely roughed up the phosphate on the steel parts with blast media before painting it and oven curing the parts. On the aluminum receiver, I have not seen signs of the anodizing being removed prior to painting. I’ve polished off areas of the Cerakote around the loading port when doing port jobs and haven’t seen signs of the blasting beneath it. If they are, it’s really soft soda blast to remove oils and that’s about it. 

@StrangerDanger And everyone else, thanks for all your insight! I purchased a backordered M4 with the titanium cerakote, so it’s not too late to return it.  Obviously the NP3 model would be the way to go if I Could get my hands on this model, but I cannot. I like the way it looks though...

So, my question is, between the models that are available- basically the black anodized and the titanium cerakote, is there any downside to choosing one over the other (cost aside)? Is the cerakote actually a BAD idea, did they actually do a worse job on this model compared to the black anodized one, or is it just not “beneficial” like the NP3? 

Also, if there really is no difference between the black and titanium cerakote model (aside from looks), would it be possible in the future to break down the cerakote model and send everything off for NP3 coating in the future?

Thanks again!

No negative issues with getting a Cerakote model aside from the extra cost. I’ve broken down several of them to have them plated in actual NP3. 

Wright Armory is the place to go for the NP3 process to be applied. However, I can not recommend their disassembly and reassembly services. A forum member had them do it recently and had a bad time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skull and Bones said:

Stranger, what would be the cost of sending in my black M4 to be Np3 plated? Could you handle that? 

I’m often seeing around 1,150 with shipping back from Wright. I charge 300 to tear down and reassemble. It’s about 6 hours of work to do both correctly. Then whatever return shipping charges back to you. Since I hold a FFL, it can be returned directly to you under gunsmithing rules. 

Right now I’m expanding my equipment to be able to handle Cerakote services. That way we aren’t all stuck with silver shotguns. One less trip in the mail, and willing to do complicated painting operations for cosmetics. Like painting just the visible area of the bolt carrier. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

I’m often seeing around 1,150 with shipping back from Wright. I charge 300 to tear down and reassemble. It’s about 6 hours of work to do both correctly. Then whatever return shipping charges back to you. Since I hold a FFL, it can be returned directly to you under gunsmithing rules. 

Right now I’m expanding my equipment to be able to handle Cerakote services. That way we aren’t all stuck with silver shotguns. One less trip in the mail, and willing to do complicated painting operations for cosmetics. Like painting just the visible area of the bolt carrier. 

So $1450 total for NP3 plus disassembly and reassemble by you,  plus shipping? Still better than $6000 on GB for a real NPR H2O. ?

6 hours ago, GTTom said:

So $1450 total for NP3 plus disassembly and reassemble by you,  plus shipping? Still better than $6000 on GB for a real NPR H2O. ?

Maybe more if you have it kitted out with matched plating. At least until the market is saturated and the world runs out of chumps.

5 hours ago, Milspec said:

Definitely have SD do your tear down and reassemble.  Otherwise, you might be sorry.  Very sorry.

Sadly true. You don't want a general gunsmith touching a Benelli. They best be a certified Benelli armorer at the very least. There are a lot of nuance parts that require specialized care to get apart and back together. It would be like taking your C7 Corvette to your local shade tree mechanic to have the transmission worked on.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DEBWB said:

SO, if my 11718 has the black bolt carrier; it's cerakote ?  I had Robar coat a  DMW mag tube extensions in NP3; I just assumed the gun was NP3. If it is cerakote; the NP3 matches pretty darn close... I'm not sure what a receiver extension is...

Correct. Black bolt carrier = Cerakote. Sounds like you have a 11794 rather than a 11718. The color match is fairly close between the Cerakote and the Np3. You just don’t get the performance benefits of the NP3. 

22 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Correct. Black bolt carrier = Cerakote. Sounds like you have a 11794 rather than a 11718. The color match is fairly close between the Cerakote and the Np3. You just don’t get the performance benefits of the NP3. 

Thank you SD for the response. You forced me to open the safe and re-confirm what I have. It is a 11718 and bolt carrier is silver; so I'm assuming it is NP3. I was actually thinking of my 11795 with the black bolt carrier.

Thanks Again

On 6/22/2020 at 8:55 PM, JRCOWBOY said:

I just purchased a new M4 in titanium cerakote.  Can someone point me to a thread or take the time to explain which is better currently with what's avaiable in 2020 being titanium cerakote or the anodized black aluminum with phosphate barrel?  Its on back order and I believe I can still modify my order.

Thanks

GREAT QUESTION. BTW I love my M4

On 9/12/2020 at 1:57 AM, Physed13 said:

GREAT QUESTION. BTW I love my M4

The Cerakote models start out as a black phosphate finished barrel. The. The barrel is media blasted to rough up the finish for Cerakote adhesion. I’d say the Cerakote is a superior finish from a protection and abrasion standpoint. Then again, I’ve worked on a lot of Benelli M4’s and I have never seen a barrel with surface rust on it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Great info, but now I'm stuck in Analysis Paralysis.   I came in to see if H20 over normal was worth the upgrade.  I think "No" unless it is NP3.  Now I'm thinking go black and try to get it coated.  I'm afraid to start researching coatings.  My goal is mostly something I can leave to my kids and great grand kids some day.  And God forbid if SHTF, I can defend my family quickly and reliably.  

I agree, the Cerakote version isn't worth the cost. If you're getting cerakote, get one that is a color that works for camo in your area of use.

Unfortunately there aren't any options for getting NP3 done on existing parts at this time. Fortunately, the Benelli in black should last several lifetimes without any exotic work being done.

• Like 1