Show us your cleaning setup!

Jolly Roger

Over 5 years ago I acquired a Benelli M1014 which had apparently hundreds of rounds of slugs fired through it. The bore was covered with lead. I forget which solvent I used but I attached a Hoppe's #9 Tornado Gunsmith's brush to a single section of cleaning rod and then chucked that up in a cordless drill. Power tools rock. I cannot imagine how many hours cleaning that lead out manually would have taken except it would have amounted to 'lots.'

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

7 minutes ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Over 5 years ago I acquired a Benelli M1014 which had apparently hundreds of rounds of slugs fired through it. The bore was covered with lead. I forget which solvent I used but I attached a Hoppe's #9 Tornado Gunsmith's brush to a single section of cleaning rod and then chucked that up in a cordless drill. Power tools rock. I cannot imagine how many hours cleaning that lead out manually would have taken except it would have amounted to 'lots.'

Great trick! 

Probably best on smooth bore guns though, I've been tempted on trying that with a rifled barrel from time to time but always chicken out. Lol

6 minutes ago, javars said:

I use copper grease on threads and sliding parts, put on with a modellers paint brush. 

....a modellers paint brush,....why didn't I think of that? 

I use that TW25 grease (I think that's the name of it) and I can never really get it exactly where I want it and always put to much on. Ill try your paint brush trick next time javars! 

• Like 1

6S1lYVe.jpg

VAoAaXf.jpg

dJ2i5l0.jpg

I have six Milwaukee work benches in my shop currently. Each one has a thick rubberized mat on them. I bolted my new Wilton vise to the wood top to one of them. The main work area gives me a work bench that is 10' x 4' wide. All soft close drawers on these benches. An ultrasonic cleaner is over on one of the back wall benches full of Hoppes #9.

I'll be bringing in a blast cabinet in soon. My lathe is out of view in these shots.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

Sorry guys, been busy dealing with Obama's kids.

I definitely treated myself when I bought that Wilton. I should have went for the 6" though, but I was already at the 500 range. Really like using it over my old Polack vice with busted jaws.

Brownells sells large rubberized mats that are heavy duty. They are a little pricey though. Especially when you have to buy 8 of them like I did.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Sorry guys, been busy dealing with Obama's kids.

I definitely treated myself when I bought that Wilton. I should have went for the 6" though, but I was already at the 500 range. Really like using it over my old Polack vice with busted jaws.

Brownells sells large rubberized mats that are heavy duty. They are a little pricey though. Especially when you have to buy 8 of them like I did.

Nice Wilton, what model number is that!

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2019 at 7:30 PM, Jolly Roger said:

Anyone use regular motor oil as lubricant? I keep seeing this mentioned on other forums. Never tried it myself because I still have plenty of my regular stuff (Break Free). But when I run out imma going to give it a shot. No pun intended?

A friend of mine has been motor oil as general lube on his ARs for years.