Will I damage anything

drock

Hi,

New to the forums. I just picked up an M4. After shooting slugs though the gun I noticed that on the Benelli website it says to use a improved cylinder and not the modified choke for slugs. 

After looking at the gun I noted that it came with the modified choke. So just wondering is this safe to use for slugs or is it going to blow up or damage the gun? Also on an 18.5 barrel why are they putting in a modified choke on something that would be used for most likely be used for slugs and 00 buck. Like what did they think people were going to use them for? Its not exactly a bird hunting gun.  (please don't bash me I primarily shoot rifle and handgun new to the shotgun world here).

Thanks

Welcome!

No doubt thousands of people on the internet will say that they shoot rifled slugs out of their modified choked M4's without any issues.

I don't, because I like to err on the side of what the manufacturer says and you already know what they say.

As to your other question why they come equipped with the MOD choke and not an IC, I haven't ever seen an answer to that.

Edited by Evolution

It really depends on the slug.  See the recommendation by the manufacturer.  Nearly every foster slug I've seen can be shot through a FULL choke...  I've shot hundreds though my modified with no problems.  If you get peace of mind by purchasing a cyl or imp cyl choke tube go for it.  I've since moved on to integrally choke barrels by benelli (their oem sbs and mil spec 18.5")

46 minutes ago, Scout_21 said:

It really depends on the slug.  See the recommendation by the manufacturer.  Nearly every foster slug I've seen can be shot through a FULL choke...  I've shot hundreds though my modified with no problems.  If you get peace of mind by purchasing a cyl or imp cyl choke tube go for it.  I've since moved on to integrally choke barrels by benelli (their oem sbs and mil spec 18.5")

Where did you come across the mil spec 18.5"?

I think I will just order the IC even though everything I see out there says the Foster slug can be ran in any choke. 

Yeah tried trap with it with 7.5 bird shot, was a blast. I had to swap out my stock for that. 

What choke should I run for Trap and skeet?  I probably hit about 60% clays with the modified one in it. Thats about the same as I hit with a Rem 870 with a 28 inch barrel. 

22 hours ago, Evolution said:

Welcome!

No doubt thousands of people on the internet will say that they shoot rifled slugs out of their modified choked M4's without any issues.

I don't, because I like to err on the side of what the manufacturer says and you already know what they say.

As to your other question why they come equipped with the MOD choke and not an IC, I haven't ever seen an answer to that.

I did call up benelli and ask them about the MOD choke specifically for the m4.  They guy said it was to balance the use of buckshot, birdshot, and slugs.  Puzzled about that answer I inquired about the statement on their website and he said if you shoot a lot of slugs (not sure exactly what a lot is) then switch to CYL or IMP CYL.  Back when I had changeable choke tubes I just left the MOD in there as I use both buck and slugs.  Granted I didn't use the more exotic slugs out there that are steel with polymer rings on them.  I did use the hardened brenneke slugs at times and had no problems.  Brenneke does recommend an IMP CYL choke for accuracy but state most of theirs, except the sabot slugs, can be used with any choke

https://www.brennekeusa.com/service/faq/

5 hours ago, drock said:

I think I will just order the IC even though everything I see out there says the Foster slug can be ran in any choke. 

Yeah tried trap with it with 7.5 bird shot, was a blast. I had to swap out my stock for that. 

What choke should I run for Trap and skeet?  I probably hit about 60% clays with the modified one in it. Thats about the same as I hit with a Rem 870 with a 28 inch barrel. 

I shoot mine with a modified choke with my salvo in the 8" configuration and I hit somewhere around 75% also using 7.5 shot. Which is about the same as do with anything I shoot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, drock said:

Hi,

New to the forums. I just picked up an M4. After shooting slugs though the gun I noticed that on the Benelli website it says to use a improved cylinder and not the modified choke for slugs. 

After looking at the gun I noted that it came with the modified choke. So just wondering is this safe to use for slugs or is it going to blow up or damage the gun? Also on an 18.5 barrel why are they putting in a modified choke on something that would be used for most likely be used for slugs and 00 buck. Like what did they think people were going to use them for? Its not exactly a bird hunting gun.  (please don't bash me I primarily shoot rifle and handgun new to the shotgun world here).

Thanks

If you still haven't received a convincing answer about the modified choke and using slugs, I think a good place to call would be Royal Arms.  One of their specialties is selling slugs to LEO for breaching setups and I believe they are also the OEM contract manufacturer for Benelli USA for the choke and the ported Breacher tip for the M4 so they are literally the people who made the part in question. 

I have the OEM breacher and there is no markings on it from Royal. I picked up some choke tubes from midwest and they were made by a different manufacturer. If I am going to run slugs for the day I will just put the IC choke in. For skeet and Trap I have been using the full choke with good results.