M4 Owners - How did you end up discovering and buying the M4?

DailyEDC

20 minutes ago, Birdog19 said:

RPC -

Epic story of your loving wife!

Thanks friend, and 100% true!

I like your build but curious about the light and its operation.  Looks like an end-cap switch.  Have you run the gun with HD loads and manipulated the light as you might in a HD situation? 

Yes, have fired the weapon with light mounted but kept thumbs/hands/fingers well clear of the light when my finger was on the trigger/firing.

Do you change your thumb position to switch the light then back to more of a standard grip? 

Yes, this

Just wondering about the ease of operation and if the bezel around the end cap digs into your thumb during recoil.  Would a remote tape switch be better?

Good question, hadn’t even considered that. I’ve got big mitts and “long”(?) thumbs so I can pretty easily activate the light and then return my left hand to a natural position on the fore grip.

I guess this question would make for a new topic.

Answers in line!

17 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

The shroud can jam your thumb during recoil if you’re using the momentary control over the light like is currently taught. 

It’s one of the reasons I machine them off in a lathe and break the edges so that just the rubber nipple is poking out the back. 

Interesting idea. I much prefer this style of tailcap and hadn’t even thought of removing the shroud for this application.  

On 12/12/2019 at 11:08 AM, StrangerDanger said:

The shroud can jam your thumb during recoil if you’re using the momentary control over the light like is currently taught. 

It’s one of the reasons I machine them off in a lathe and break the edges so that just the rubber nipple is poking out the back. 

Interesting, I'll have to play with mine again and see if I have that issue.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:42 PM, Jolly Roger said:

I almost died by a bear attack, I live up north where the big ones roam..

I knew a 12ga slug was a great choice for bear protection and carried a Mossberg pump action and practiced with it regularly. At the time I was against a semi-auto shotgun because I had convinced myself that simple was better,.. and who in there right mind would pay $2000 for a shotgun!? ?

I woke up covered in moss and fresh pungent soil. My breathing was raspy as though I had flim that I couldn't quite cough up. I couldn't see out of my left eye and I could smell and taste that distinctive iodiney smell of blood. My heart pounded back alive with a great rush of adrenaline as I started to recall what had happened to me and where I currently was....

I was buried alive, by a bear.  You see, a bear wont usually eat something its killed right away, it will bury it and come back to it later after it has ripened up a bit. This knowledge was flooding through my brain faster than the speed of light as I lay there contemplating my next move.

I've told this story over and over again now thousands of times and I've come to realize that we; the bear and I, were playing a chess game of sorts. He made his move by hunting me down and attacking me, I countered his move by a misplaced shotgun slug due to adrenaline followed by a short-stroke of my shotgun leaving me with nothing but a "click" of the trigger when it really needed to count. The bear did what he does best and I assumed the fetal position playing dead until I couldn't stand the pain any longer of him ripping off a but cheek and almost removing my left foot. I blacked out.

I didnt realize just how comfortable I was in this makeshift early grave until I decided to move.

The pain was unlike anything Id ever experienced before and I let out a grown that didn't even sound like it came from me. Now,..back to the chess part.....  This entire time the bear was sitting a few feat away so as I had just got my first breath of "dirt nap" freedom the all to familiar crunching sound of bear teeth on my skull was back again....actually this whole story is made up for your enjoyment...the reason I purchased a m4 is because I got tired of my m3 jamming. have a good day gents. 

Picture my camera took during the attack ...Im on bottom..

1936008420_bearattk.thumb.jpg.e038a94f45ccd9d23a42b3f1f65e896c.jpg

This is the craziest animal encounter I've ever heard in my life.  And that picture is creeping me out.  Did you write a book? You're a good writer. 

14 hours ago, Retired said:

Interesting, I'll have to play with mine again and see if I have that issue.

Test it with some high base or slugs carefully. I never constant on the light, its just bad tactics to run a light constantly. You stick and move with the light. So if your support hand thumb isn't gripping the forend tight, they shotgun can slip in your palm and jam your thumb forward into the cap of the light. Having the forend stippled by like Tango Arms can help keep your hand from moving.

Years ago, I built a pistol grip stock for the M4 that had the pressure switch routed all the way under the pistol grip so that it activated like a pair of laser grips does. I put the pad under the rubber grip and routed the wire internally up along the top rail. Back then I used a SideArmor top rail so the wire could be secured to it all the way up to the light. The Surefire tape switch had a 40" long wire and the excess was tucked inside of the stock.

The only issues with it was I hate tape switches - they have dead spots and do not activate with 100% consistency. Having the large pad on the pistol grip meant you could have negligent light discharges when slung. I adjusted this a lot to by working on the sensitivity of the switch by adding layers of electrical tape over the switch and beneath the rubber grip. It took hours to do the work, I had to grind out a pocket for the switch to sit under the grip, then loom the wire  through the interior of the stock.

I was going to try to do one to the collapsible stock pistol grip, but it was a little harder to deal with. I imagine I'd have to loom the extra wire under the forearm instead or better yet, learn to cut the wire to the appropriate size. The pads still sucked and the ones with the 40" wire are no longer available to buy.

In the future, I predict we'll see more wireless options for the switch. I'd make them myself if I had the technical skill and cash. It would revolutionize how we mount weapon lights. We could mount all the way forward like where the Steiner weapon light is and have the switch in the rear where we desire.

4 hours ago, DailyEDC said:

This is the craziest animal encounter I've ever heard in my life.  And that picture is creeping me out.  Did you write a book? You're a good writer. 

Read the small print my brother.  It was just a made up story..?   (picture is a cropped still from the movie "The Revenant")

4 hours ago, Jolly Roger said:

Read the small print my brother.  It was just a made up story..?   (picture is a cropped still from the movie "The Revenant")

haha fooled me. written a little too well but believable.  That picture is icing on the cake though...freaky as hell.

Edited by DailyEDC
  • Like 1

I started reading reviews on Shotguns.  I wasn't looking at Auto Loaders at first.   But the more I read, the more I kinda wanted an auto if it was reliable enough.  

Most of the reviews compared everything to Benelli M4 reliability.  It took me some time to suck up the buy once cry once deal of getting a Benelli M4.

Why buy something "almost" as good as a Benelli?

p.s.   the bear attack story sucked me in like a MOFO...

Edited by les_garten
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, les_garten said:

I started reading reviews on Shotguns.  I wasn't looking at Auto Loaders at first.   But the more I read, the more I kinda wanted an auto if it was reliable enough.  

Most of the reviews compared everything to Benelli M4 reliability.  It took me some time to suck up the buy once cry once deal of getting a Benelli M4.

Why buy something "almost" as good as a Benelli?

p.s.   the bear attack story sucked me in like a MOFO...

I thought the story was true....haha.  That image is creepy as hell though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, les_garten said:

p.s.   the bear attack story sucked me in like a MOFO......

Haaha!  Cool, I had fun writing it!  My wife read it over my shoulder and busted a gut laughing...especially after I added the movie still to it. ???

We've had our share of close encounters with bears though.....and I do bring the M4 with me when we venture out. Most of the time the bears want nothing to do with us and just trot off into the woods when we meet. Had one get real close to me while I was in my "zone" fishing one time...another fisherman across the bank waves at me and pointed. I turned around and had a griz sitting about 30ft from me. He was probably waiting for me to land a salmon and then steel it from me. This happens often.?

1 hour ago, Jolly Roger said:

Haaha!  Cool, I had fun writing it!  My wife read it over my shoulder and busted a gut laughing...especially after I added the movie still to it. ???

We've had our share of close encounters with bears though.....and I do bring the M4 with me when we venture out. Most of the time the bears want nothing to do with us and just trot off into the woods when we meet. Had one get real close to me while I was in my "zone" fishing one time...another fisherman across the bank waves at me and pointed. I turned around and had a griz sitting about 30ft from me. He was probably waiting for me to land a salmon and then steel it from me. This happens often.?

I got mine for two reasons.  Bears and roving Hoards of Democrats.

I'm getting older and sicker, so my chances of a bear encounter are getting less and less each day.

However...  My chances of encountering roving hoards of Democrats seems to be increasing more and more  each day, so I got that going for me...

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, les_garten said:

I got mine for two reasons.  Bears and roving Hoards of Democrats.

I'm getting older and sicker, so my chances of a bear encounter are getting less and less each day.

However...  My chances of encountering roving hoards of Democrats seems to be increasing more and more  each day, so I got that going for me...

Ill gladly give you an up-vote on that my friend ..and for the balls to say it!   I was just telling my wife yesterday that I feel like I woke up in the Twilight-Zone or something. 

I wont say much on here,.......even though Im tempted.....

watching "Emperor Palpatine Nancy Pelosi" try to hide her smile yesterday made me puke in my mouth a Little bit..

np.png

Edited by Jolly Roger

I don't understand witch hunts

We know who the witches are

You don't really have to hunt for them really

But when found, they need to be dispatched with decisively, otherwise they continue to haunt you

F2W6Rrv.jpg

Hillary_Witch_800-1.jpg

hillary-witch-clinton.png?w=640

witch-hillary-e1464990255483-768x577.jpg

pelosi-monkeys.jpg

APP-062618-Hillary-Pelosi-Maxine-WITCHES

pelosi-witch.jpg

The Solution:  The Ice Bucket Challenge!

Bv1977OCcAArFur.jpg

Sorry to derail the OP, must be the season of the witch...

Edited by les_garten
  • Like 1

Guess what? It's not actually an impeachment unless and until the House managers make it to the Senate floor and present the articles of impeachment. Essentially Trump hasn't been subjected to impeachment YET. Dumborats are so stupid.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/house-senate-impeachment-impasse-would-mean-trump-wasnt-impeached-all-harvard-law-prof

Edited by Sukhoi_fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Guess what? It's not actually an impeachment unless and until the House managers make it to the Senate floor and present the articles of impeachment. Essentially Trump hasn't been subjected to impeachment YET. Dumborats are so stupid.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/house-senate-impeachment-impasse-would-mean-trump-wasnt-impeached-all-harvard-law-prof

Interesting.  Very interesting. thank you.

Its funny, less than 48 hours ago they were saying he was "obstructing congress!",  "No time to go to court!"  "We gotta do this NOW!!!"  "He's a threat to the constitution!" 

and now its ..."well lets just play it by ear and see what happens...."

We need a freakin trial but Piglowsey just gonna sit on it.   How can they even call this an impeachment when its not even 1/4 of one?  

Edited by Jolly Roger

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, Jolly Roger said:

Seeing a bear running at full speed is what freaks me out.  If a bear spots you and his intentions are to get you, you don't have time for much of a reaction.  You can't climb a tree or dig around for bear spray.  Even if I was already holding bear spray in my hand, it just doesn't seem like it's going to be very effective against a 1000lb bear charging you at full speed.  I can see how it might help you if the bear isn't being aggressive and just sniffing around for food or something but you can't help but to think that it might just piss it off even more.  It doesn't even seem like a bullet from a handgun would affect a bear that much unless you hit him in the head or heart or equally debilitating spot.  But luckily it does seem like they're not super aggressive animals all the time unless you're messing with their cubs or something.

Walked into my local shop over 10 years ago to pick up my M1A, and I’ll never forget the desert camo M4 I saw on the shelf. Big bucks ! Timing wasn’t right for the purchase back then, but I instantly fell in love with it and told myself that I would definitely have one, one day. After all that time, I never forgot about my favorite shotgun and finally was able to pull the trigger on one, earlier this year. Now, thanks to this great forum, I’m doing more modding on this thing than shooting ! An expensive addiction, but only the best for us. 

Edited by 03svt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 03svt said:

Walked into my local shop over 10 years ago to pick up my M1A, and I’ll never forget the desert camo M4 I saw on the shelf. Big bucks ! Timing wasn’t right for the purchase back then, but I instantly fell in love with it and told myself that I would definitely have one, one day. After all that time, I never forgot about my favorite shotgun and finally was able to pull the trigger on one, earlier this year. Now, thanks to this great forum, I’m doing more modding on this thing than shooting ! An expensive addiction, but only the best for us. 

I don't know what it is about this gun that makes us want to modify it so badly, I guess because we can.... When I first got it, I was a total crack fiend and had to try every upgrade.

I came to own my M4 by trial and error...

The club where I was shooting IDPA (pistol only) started to hold 3-gun events.  I did not own a SG, so borrowed a 20 ga pump from a friend. After that first match, I jumped onto the VA Gun Trader sight and picked up a 12 ga pump (FNH Tactical Police). My shoulder would be sore after each match, so I picked up a 20 ga Saiga at a gun show. The Saiga did not beat up my shoulder but is was a pain to load (mags would not go in w/o the chamber being held open) and I would come home with cuts on my hands (could never figure out what part was sharp). While cursing the Saiga, the SO let me try his M4.  Need I say more?

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 5:35 AM, DailyEDC said:

I don't know what it is about this gun that makes us want to modify it so badly, I guess because we can.... When I first got it, I was a total crack fiend and had to try every upgrade.

I am an unrepentant geardo, I mod every weapon I get just to play around.  Eventually I come up with a setup I like and stick with it.

• Like 1

First experience with the M4 was while in the Marines. It was a much better shotgun then the Mossberg 590A1's we also had. Obviously there is a bit of a price difference between the two. I also shot the M4 while working for a police department. It is a great firearm.

• Like 1