StrangerDanger Shout Out!

hognutz

I just wanted to take the time to thank StrangerD for all the time and expertise that he offered me during my M4 set-up! 
He was always there to answer a question and I had a bunch of them! 
As you all know, he is crazy good with the M4 and his willingness to help puts him over the top in my book! 
StrangerD, you’re a good man and I deeply appreciate the help/advice you have given to me! 
Thanks, 

Mike

3 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I think you said it a couple weeks prior to Thanksgiving!

One power outage is all it took. I was sitting here watching a YouTube video and "lights out"..when the power finally came back on,.. my computer did not..

Probably time to replace it anyway, it was 6 years old. 

....but all they had to replace it was one of those "gaming" setups with flashing lights all over it!.. My house is lit up like a neon bar at night....and I keep having alien abduction dreams. 

159f.jpg

Edited by Jolly Roger

Sounds like you got an alienware one! I use those even though I don't really play games to much. They have the horsepower to run programs fast with  minimal waiting. Nothing I hate more than clicking the start button and having to wait a few seconds for it to open. Our desktop computer is hooked directly to our 75" 4K TV. I built that computer a few years ago for gaming for my daughter. 4k gaming is pretty impressive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Sounds like you got an alienware one! I use those even though I don't really play games to much. They have the horsepower to run programs fast with  minimal waiting. Nothing I hate more than clicking the start button and having to wait a few seconds for it to open. Our desktop computer is hooked directly to our 75" 4K TV. I built that computer a few years ago for gaming for my daughter. 4k gaming is pretty impressive.

I'm new to building or modifying PCs, but I am in the process of beefing up a PC I have for my son to run Virtual Reality (Oculus Quest) and Steam games. I'm replacing the power supply and and installing a graphics card and hopefully all goes well. I've had a spare PC connected to a TV for quite a while now and now I'm spoiled. Building PCs is the way to go for sure, for the price.

This website is very helpful and confirms compatibility with all components: https://pcpartpicker.com/

Yep, we did the older model of the Oculus a few years ago. We have been thinking about upgrading to the newer one to get higher image resolution and eliminating the motion trackers. Google Earth is amazing in that thing. We put a 1080 Nvidia card in it with room to SLI up to three of them. One was enough for running 4K content. Farcry 5 and GTA 5 ran at full resolution with all the settings to max. I put an Intel I9 processor in it and 32gb of ram. Solid state hard drive and 6tb of storage space for our movie storage drive. 

I built a network to run our 25 4K resolution cameras on two NVRs with 16tb each for storage. Where I live is pretty remote. So internet options suck out here. I found a company called OTR mobile which is an unlimited data plan 4G LTE plan that doesn’t throttle speeds. Since I live remote, I had to build an antenna booster with a high end WeBoost kit that uses directional arrays to send the cellular signal. So now I see about 20-35mbps, which might not sound like much, but the next best thing here was 0.6mbps. 

Never messed with HAM. Seemed like a place for old guys to talk about their prostate problems? I don't know if it would work very well up here anyway. There is so much occlusion from trees and mountains that I might even have issues with Starlink internet. I'd probably enjoy the technical side, but I don't really want to talk to anyone!