***EVERYTHING ELSE***

Jolly Roger

Thanks Schutzhund.  My wife and I both have been running the Pentium 7's for the last 5 or so years. I have looked at AMD but just dont know anything about them.. Coke/Pepsi?

I have been researching a few builds and have found websites that you can "plug" your parts in and they tell you if there are any known issues or not. Its a handy website but it also scares me a bit because it seems like every time I build a virtual machine, it has "issues" according to the warnings on the site. 

My wife usually has about 30 windows open at any given time, and has no choice but to run conflicting/older software on her machine. Im constantly dealing with issues with every one of her machines. I think we paid $1600 last time for a really nice Dell thinking if we just throw money at it, it will work better. I've tried everything to rid the demons from her computer but they still transfer over each time. 

Looking at this one right now, Id have to add ram and a SSD right off..

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-desktop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-hp-finish-in-natural-silver/6366726.p?skuId=6366726

AMD vs Intel yep basically coke/pepsi. 

Amd was behind intel for years regarding performance but since they introduced  first series Ryzen cpu they are on par or even outperform intel in most cases. 

You mean sites like pcpartpicker.com? 

I threw together really quick system have a look https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yMncx6

Dont be bothered with the sata compatibly note down there it, i selected an m.2 nvme drive wich is about 4-5 times faster than any drive you can plug into a sata port + there are 6 total sata ports on the mobo and if two of them dont work int aint a big deal at all. 

I never had good luck with AMD or ATI video cards. Every time I tried them, I got burned. I prefer Intel I7 or better yet I9 processors and Nvidia video cards. nvidia has better driver support in my experience. 

Unless I’m building a super high end gaming system, I usually go for laptop. Most good laptops will allow you to plug in a larger screen if desired. We use a little rolling table that sits next to the couch to use the laptop. So much better than sitting at a desk. The couch leans back and has kick out feet rests. Just run the wireless mouse to the arm of the couch. 
https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Laptop-Tilting-Overbed-Wheels/dp/B07L9SVZVT/ref=mp_s_a_1_55?keywords=laptop+stand&qid=1577032360&sprefix=laptop+&sr=8-55

Kind of like this, but ours are wood finished. 

The only desktop we have is wired in to the living room tv which is a 75” 4K. The three laptops are all connected to the router wirelessly. Plus two dozen other items like tablets, phones, printer, smart tv’s, my daughter’s various game systems and so on. There has to be like 25 devices. The desktop is hard wired as well as our 4K NVR‘s that handle 25 surveillance cameras. Each NVR has 16tb of storage for all that 4K video data. All the cameras are hard wired and own their own dedicated CAT5 cabling so they don’t eat up the network bandwidth. The cameras are powered over the Ethernet cabling too, so one side powers and sends data. The router is a Netgear XR500 which is awesome and pretty easy to set up. It manages all my data extremely well for having limited internet. I have an app on my phone to view the cameras remotely. I can set motion alerts but the system isn’t developed enough to make it reliable enough to leave on constantly. Far too many false positive events.

Internet is sourced via a Netgear MR1100 4G LTE modem with unlimited data and no speed throttling thru OTR Mobile For 60 bucks a month. They sell AT&T’s bandwidth and somehow get around the caps and throttling. The modem is enhanced by a WeBoost cellular booster system with a directional antenna array which is mounted on the roof. This booster also makes my cellphone work anywhere in the house. Previously it would only work in a few spots if you held your jaw just right. Now, the cellphone has near full bars even in the crawl space under the house. With the booster in place, I typically see 20-35mbps Down/5-9mbps up. This is literally a 100x faster than my last best option, which was a Verizon hotspot which could not be connected to a router. So all my devices Akbar to connect to the Jetpack. There was no way to connect my NVR to it since they don’t have wireless built in. The speeds were terrible and the throttling was horrific. When SpaceX gets Starlink online, I’ll see about switching to that if the speeds are better. 

I still download 4K content when available to run on the 4K TV without much issue. It comes out to being like a 4gb download per episode of something like The Mandalorian. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Schutzhund said:

AMD vs Intel yep basically coke/pepsi. 

Amd was behind intel for years regarding performance but since they introduced  first series Ryzen cpu they are on par or even outperform intel in most cases. 

You mean sites like pcpartpicker.com? 

I threw together really quick system have a look https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yMncx6

Dont be bothered with the sata compatibly note down there it, i selected an m.2 nvme drive wich is about 4-5 times faster than any drive you can plug into a sata port + there are 6 total sata ports on the mobo and if two of them dont work int aint a big deal at all. 

pcpartpicker.com    Yes! Thats the place!  Its also cool because I can build it with parts from my local Best Buy picked as the vendor and then just go down the road to pick up parts.

I like your system, its basic and exactly what im looking to build. I think Id do a small M.2 for the OS and a larger SSD for everything else.  

The savings on that AMD is crazy!   She doesn't play any games, so this may be a great way to cut some $$ from the overall build. Thanks man! 

To be honest i have run AMD exclusively on my systems from back in the Amd Duron 900 days. 

I would agree with StrangerDanger that AMD was a bit finicky when they couldn't compete with Intel but since the introduction of Ryzen Zen cpus its has changed the pc world completely, although Nvidia has an performance edge on Amds graphics cards(since you dont want to game the gpu i suggested is just for getting a signal to the monitor and video playback) 

I have built a few systems for friends and family and so far had no complaints. My current personal system is a Ryzen Threadripper 1950x and a AMD Vega 56 gpu,i am watercooling them both with blocks from watercool.de (best in the business in my experience)

Also i looked at the system i showed you and you can scratch off the cpu cooler for another 35 usd savings(i didnt notice at first that the cpu comes with the cooler bundled) 

• Like 1