Dog training?

BLACK JACK

I thought this would be a great place to ask questions about dog training. I just got a black lab pub he is 7 weeks old. I have never trained my own dog. I was wondering at what age should I start training and if anyone knows of any good books, web sites or training aids that might be helpful. Thanks

Start 'em young!

Do a lot of reading online about how to train your dogs. Lots of people who do that for a living have written about it.

Here's one of my own tips for you. When your dog gets nippy, do not let him chew on you (that's why they make chew toys). If he starts nipping on you, roll him on his back and put your hand on his chest (right near his armpits with your fingers on either side to keep him from rolling over...think of palming a basketball). With your hand there pin him to the ground until he stops squirming and trying to bite you. By holding him there, you've put your hand in a place that he can't reach with his mouth and he can't rollover either. This is a total submission position and dogs are not comfortable there. When he stops squirming and trying to bite you, he has just learned that YOU are the boss.

• Upvote 1

Originally posted by BLACK JACK:

I thought this would be a great place to ask questions about dog training. I just got a black lab pub he is 7 weeks old. I have never trained my own dog. I was wondering at what age should I start training and if anyone knows of any good books, web sites or training aids that might be helpful. Thanks

smile.gif I will be training my second lab, I would recommend the book, "British Training For American Retrievers as a second source but I started out with the DVD called Water Dog. It is the same title Water Dog the Book that is a little out dated but has its basics and does work. The DVD Water dog is much more up to date. You better hurry and get started reading and watching those training videos.

[ 09-28-2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Commando ]

Originally posted by Robert II:

Any sugestions on eletronic/electric collars? I have a male Lab, who needs to be reminded that he has to pay attention. Never had the need with my other females. Best, Robert

smile.gif A E-collar can be a good tool or cause a serious diaster when not used properly. I know a person whos dog was trained by a Professional trainer friend of mine and the dog was a obediant retrieving machine. Well the owner used a collar to correct so called problems and now the dog is no longer a great retriever. I use one as only an extenison of the leash. I use the inotek retriever trainer. Sport dog makes a good collar.

Thanks for the site! BUT, To many to chose from. Need it for upland and lowland birds. Beeper on top for better hearing/ will use shock only because my whisle/voice does not always work. First lab I have needed it for, all the others were positive reinforcement. Understand he is a male. Price range $100-150.00. Open to suggestions on where to purchase and options. Best Robert

If your looking for online advice you might want to also check out sites such as Flocknockers , duckhunter.net and Waterfowler.com. All three have Pro trainer's and vets as well as active FT/HT runners as active members.

I have trained well over 30 Labs over the years for FT, HT in the AKC, and UKC. Nine have been my personal dogs. I'll say this. I use and prefer the Amish method. Every dog does not fit into a certain training regiment. Every dog has their own personality. Take your time with him. The biggest mistakes are rushing and ignorant low life bozo's who try and overcome fear with force. Its not going to happen, and will only cause the dog to shut down, and wash out.

Hope those sites help.

Have fun and enjoy the new Family member.

[ 10-02-2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: BLKLABMAN ]

Originally posted by BLACK JACK:

I'm training my first retriever and the kennel that I purchased my dog from recommended "Training the Hunting Retriever, by Jerome Robinson. It's a collection of techniques by top trainers, and not just one persons idea of how to train dogs.

• 16 years later...
On 10/3/2005 at 4:35 AM, wheelr said:

I'm training my first retriever and the kennel that I purchased my dog from recommended "Training the Hunting Retriever, by Jerome Robinson. It's a collection of techniques by top trainers, and not just one persons idea of how to train dogs.

I also used them alongside https://wolfmethodology.com/ . A very good training combination if you ask me. :)

Edited by Pop Alexandra