R1 30-06

jjones21

I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE A R1 IN 30-06 CALIBER. HAS ANYONE BOUGHT A BENELLI R1 IN 30-06 CALIBER. WHAT IS THE RECOIL? IS IT DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER NAME BRAND? IS IT MORE OR LESS? IS THERE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS GUN..

[ 11-04-2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: jjones21 ]

Search this forum for comments on the R1's for general information.

Click 'Search' at the top of the page, and type in r1.

You will find numerous comments by others and myself regarding scope mounting, cleaning, tweaking, accuracy, etc. There are definitely things you'll want to know before making the purchase.

My 30-06 recoil is about equal to others I've fired. Without extra protection, I can easily fire 20 rounds at the range before I begin to flinch a bit. I'm only 5'9" / 160, so YMMV.

hi! I just bought a benelli r1 30.06 22" barrel for $869 plus tax at my local gun shop. It kicks far less than my ruger #1, less than an m1 garand, and about the same as a browning bar. I took the advice on the forum and used leupold QR mounts (almost heavier than the zeiss conquest 3-9 scope). EZ 2 mount. i put in the stock spacers to set it up for LH use and it likes winchester ballistic tip 180's to 150 yards, then remogton gold tipped 150's at 200. Mine weighs 8 pounds unloaded on a cheapie scale. I hope to change the safety to LH, it is in such a bad spot for lefties that benelli should be ashamed. The trigger pull is too short for me. Stock recoil pad could be a little more plush, but it looks cool. I really like mine and highly recommend it!

I have one. Recoil is exceptional. My dad's BAR in 30.06 is a shoulder killer. Honestly, my 270 bolt action hurts more than the benelli R1. Best decision I ever made was to buy one. Recently sighted it in. Exceptionally accurate for a semi-auto and shot 30 cartridges in about 1 hour with no shoulder pain.

Hope this helps.

Hello, tucker: According to the manual, I replaced the drop change shim nearest the stock to the highest one in the kit. I determined height by trial and error. Deviation plate according to table. After that, the manual's table on page 66 made no sense to me, So i just used a little mechanical aptitude (which I have very little of), to figure out which steel locking plate to utilize. I can actually see that the stock sits high and to the left when looking down the back of the gun. I still was able to use it right handed deer hunting, as I had to use a right-handed shot from my position in the stand. Oh, I used a craftsman extended half inch socket to get the stock dissassembled, but i believe it is actually a metric nut. I have a lyman screwdriver I used to take out the two stock screws--sorry i didnt pay much attention to tip size, I did have to go into the self-sealing rubber holes at an angle to get the flat tip in to the screw. Feel free to contact me for additional info, thanks for the posts!

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by wass:

I have one. Recoil is exceptional. My dad's BAR in 30.06 is a shoulder killer. Honestly, my 270 bolt action hurts more than the benelli R1. Best decision I ever made was to buy one. Recently sighted it in. Exceptionally accurate for a semi-auto and shot 30 cartridges in about 1 hour with no shoulder pain.

Hope this helps.

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Double D,

You're asking someone who has only posted twice, and both of those were on 11-9-2004. Just a hunch, but he may not see your question.

My R1 shoots consistent 1" groups at 100 yds. with factory ammo. Phenon101 has reported even better results with handloads. It's one Helluva semi-auto.

[ 03-05-2005, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

tucker 301

A number of posts caution against using high energy or "hot" loads for the r1 30-06. If the same receiver is sufficient in terms of pressure handling ability, etc., for the 300 win mag, why can't it handle hotter loads for the 30-06? Or, is the issue that each calbier is factory 'tuned' to different pressures for reliable cycling???

I haven't seen too much regarding "hot" loads.

Hand loads which push or exceed the upper end of the envelope can be dangerous and harmful to any rifle, not just the R1.

Premature barrell wear, instability at higher ambient temps, blown primers, case separation, etc.

The R1's ARGO system relies on gases from the fired round to cycle the action. Hot loads may do some harm by pushing the cycle spring harder than necessary. I wouldn't shoot hot or heavy handloads unless there were a very good reason to do so. Even then, it's not likely that the R1, or any semi-auto, would be the best choice for such rounds.

[ 03-08-2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

tucker301

I agree with your remarks. I may have been unclear.

The loads to which I refer are those classifiede as safe maximum loads n reputable loading manuals. Of course, I would not recommend using them without working up in small increments and lookking for pressure signs.

Given this clarification, is it the case that even these loads are not advisable for semi-autos?

I'd approach them exactly as you've described; working your way up to the safe max. level.

As you probably know, pressures and velocities also vary with regard to ambient temperature and barrell length. If your charts indicate a muzzle velocity of 2650 with a 24" barrell, but you're using a 20", you're going to be considerably under that mark on the chronograph.