Benelli 828u problem

GLavalle

I recently bought a benelli 828u. I am the second owner and was my first firearm purchase. I compete in trap, sporting Clays and also hunt. I bought this gun because I have shot benelli all my life and wanted an O/U. 

My problem started today at the trap range. After I shot the gun it would open intermittently. As soon as I pull the trigger and the shot is fired the action would open  and usually after that if I went to shoot after that the striker wouldn't fire. 

Has anyone experienced this before because I have personally never seen it happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting read, I've had an 828U from new, after some 15 months of regular use a crack appeared on the fore end. It rapidly extended the whole length of the fore end. Gun returned via the shop I bought from. Got it back last Wednesday with new fore end, shot it once and the new fore end cracked from top to bottom, gun returned and an e mail to GMK who replied this morning asking for serial number............................................to be continued

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a new Benelli 828U in March of this year. I've only put about a hundred trap loads through the gun which, until today, functioned flawlessly. While shooting clays today, the gun has jammed after firing a shell from the upper barrel. The breech now won't open. The spent shell remains in the chamber of the top barrel. Has anyone else had this issue? I have sent an email to Benelli Service and await their response.

I have a one year old 828 that fas had maybe 300 rounds through it between skeet and hunting. Last week it started opening up on me after a single shot.  What do I have to do to get this back to Benneli.  PS I Love the gun it shoots great 

• 1 month later...

Where do I start. About a month ago I purchased an 828u 20 gauge from Scheels. I found I a little difficulty screwing in the top choke and after inspecting the choke the side of the tube appeared to be scored. I found I was missing the “full choke” tube, called Scheels and they overnighted one that I received the following day. When i tried to screw that choke into the top barrel it would only screw in about one turn. I had also ordered Briley extended chokes and they would not screw into the top barrel, I have “never” had any issues with Briley chokes in any gun. I called Briley and they asked me to send the chokes back for replacement. I took the gun back to Scheels, they agreed there was a problem and offered a refund since they didn’t have anymore but told me their other store (120 miles away) had 4 of them. Because of what is going on in the industry they can’t ship between stores so I drove 120 miles to pick up a new one. When i shot the new one that night i found that the safety was very stiff. I shoot wearing very thin leather shooting gloves and actually had to remove my glove to move the safety. I called Benelli the next day, explained the issues and they said take the gun back to the store and have them ship it back, Benelli would cover shipping both ways. I told them the store I purchased it from was at this point 200 miles away. They asked if there was a closer store and i said yes 80 miles but I didn’t buy it there. Benelli said that makes no difference, any of their dealers can ship it for you. The gun was shipped to Benelli and returned about two weeks later. Benelli concurred that there was an issue, fixed it and removed the auto feature which I didn’t want. 
Two days later my replacement Briley chokes showed up and yes, you guessed it, neither would screw into the top barrel. That makes two 828u’s in almost the same number of weeks with the same issues. Both chokes however would screw into the bottom barrel with absolutely no issue. I took “that” gun back to Scheels and showed them the issue and they like me knowing the issues I have had with the two different guns couldn’t believe it either.

Where it stands now. Scheels is going to contact Benelli and ask if the barrels can be sent back after hunting season to see why there is such a difference between the upper and lower barrel. Still waiting to hear back

My point here is that with all the issues that people are having with 828u’s I can see Benelli giving up on this new design and discontinue the model which would render an almost $3,000 gun down to the $300 value range.

• 1 year later...