Question on Benelli M4 CA-Compliant C-Stock

RPC

I think the last mod I want to do to my M4 for now is enable the collapsible stock. I purchased mine new LY in CA and it came with the “collapsible” stock but a un-notched recoil tube. 

Does the C-Stock on my M4 just need a four position recoil tube to enable the collapsible functionality, or is this thing purely for looks and I have to replace both the stock and recoil tube?

-Rex

Rex -

Are you in California? 

The recoil tube is all that is needed to make your collapsible stock functional. The trouble is they’re a PITA to remove and replace. You need a Mapp torch to break down the factory threadlocker. I have a tutorial thread on here somewhere showing what’s involved to do the job. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks SD, I’ve read and re-read your install thread readying my testicular fortitude for the job...

Appreciate the confirmation of just a recoil tube needed. I thought that was the case, occurred to me I should get positive confirmation before buying parts. 

Last question: How does one remove the un-notched tube from from the c-stock?

Yes, specifically how to remove the stock from a non-notched/CA-compliant recoil tube (unsure if the operation is different for a botched tube vs. an un-notched tube).

I’ve tried everything I can think of to remove the stock but the unlock button on mine only depresses ~1/16”, seemingly not enough to release anything inside. I initially thought Benelli had somehow pinned the button to make it inoperable for the CA market but I don’t see any evidence of that. Again, the button doesn’t depress, much less am I able to rotate or push/pull the stock at all. 

I’ll try again when I get home and if the button doesn’t behave any differently than it has, I’ll post pics of the stock to see if someone sees something I’m not. 

Sorry SD, I didn’t answer your question above: I live in CA and purchased the M4 new here in CA. 

To my stock, the unlock button is free to depress ~1/16” but is a hard stop beyond that. I can wiggle the stock maybe 1/8” left to right and it has zero in/out play.  

Some photos of the stock below, curious if it’s that pin under the cheek weld that’s the culprit...

For anyone who has seen multiple of these c-stocks, does anything stand out about mine? Anything new to mine that’s unusual?

I’d have to pull the box out of storage to find the manufacturing date but I bought it new from a high volume dealer May of 2019. 

F3D40686-89BE-44EF-81C1-6E9626BFD8E8.jpeg

976CE8C8-022C-4C15-A205-622F0F599074.jpeg

BE0E6888-4F7F-4BB5-910B-095984AAB8E8.jpeg

7F837D2C-7DF6-4E6B-9066-F1540D674840.jpeg

482BBFE8-E039-4517-8A3C-67F673151AB6.jpeg

517E95EC-C5D2-47E3-BF5A-AD414EF18F82.jpeg

Thanks for the pics. I’m driving home at the moment so my replies might be slow. 

That pin under the cheek piece is normal. I’d remove the cheek piece by the three top screws, then slightly press on the button while tapping the pin out that is under the cheek piece you mentioned. This will allow you to remove the button. I assume someone inserted something beneath the button to prevent it from being pressed. The only thing under the button should be a greasy spring. 

• Upvote 1

Good eye, SD!

I was looking back through the pics, saw the exact same thing and wondered what it was, so I took the cheek piece off and low and behold, a screw I absolutely did not expect to find- see first pic. 

Strangely, where the cheek piece hardware required a metric hex wrench as expected (2mm), the screw underneath was SAE, or at least my own 5/64” hex wrench fit it perfectly to remove. Once removed, the unlock button worked exactly as explained it should and I was able to remove the stock for the first time in close to a year of ownership.

Many thanks!

9ED591DA-CE98-4C00-A9FD-FCF2F65F99AB.jpeg

722396D7-7721-452B-A0B7-088940B8C83E.jpeg

764D97D8-FBB0-454D-A54A-D1FEC5434205.jpeg

9 minutes ago, RPC said:

Interesting. I was under the impression that as long as I was 922r compliant, it was OK to enable the collapsible stock. 

Am I mistaken?

You're absolutely mistaken. See here statute 12276.1 item 6 A&B.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2

A semi auto shotgun that has both features of a pistol grip AND telescoping stock is an assault weapon.

You don't want to go there.

• Upvote 1

Well I’ll be a sonofa...

So this leads me to two follow-up questions:

1) If I wanted to go down this rabbit hole, is there a permit, exemption or stamp I could apply for that would allow me to modify my M4 to a collapsible stock config. and remain legal?

2) Aside from Q#1, I guess I would have been better off purchasing a model with the field stock then?

*Huge thanks to Evolution on this blindspot of mine, could have been all kinds of trouble for me. 

3 minutes ago, RPC said:

Well I’ll be a sonofa...

So this leads me to two follow-up questions:

1) If I wanted to go down this rabbit hole, is there a permit, exemption or stamp I could apply for that would allow me to modify my M4 to a collapsible stock config. and remain legal?

2) Aside from Q#1, I guess I would have been better off purchasing a model with the field stock then?

*Huge thanks to Evolution on this blindspot of mine, could have been all kinds of trouble for me. 

No, there is no provision for registering or exemptions. Once that section of the penal code went into effect 1/1/2000, that's it. 

Tax stamp and 922R are federal regs., not state. 

Even though that stock as you purchased it does not have the capacity to telescope, I'm surprised that it was sold in Ca.. It's the first Iv'e ever heard of.

Maybe it's a recent addition of Ca. available M4's since it's unable to scope in and out. Has the "look" but doesn't work.

Yeah, the only other legal options for a Ca. resident are the straight or "field stock" or, the more commonly found non collapsable pistol grip stock.

Better you found out now before you spent $$$$.

• Upvote 1

Glad you got it apart. Someone added that screw which is why it’s standard thread where as the Benelli is all metric. It’s weird that they added that screw to an M4 with a neutered receiver extension. X

Unless you’re in law enforcement I don’t think there is a civilian exemption. Now, if I understand California rules, you could put the 3 position extension on and use that screw to lock the stock in to the position you want. 

• Upvote 1

Some Ca. AW laws apply to LEO's and some such as magazine capacity, they are exempt. I am not a lawyer but, I have "heard" that if the stock is pinned so it cannot move unless tools are applied, it technically would be legal.

But, I'm not that brave, I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't recommend doing it. I mean, what's the point then?

Evo/SD-

You guys are awesome. Your knowledge and wisdom continue to disproportionally contribute to this collective info base. Personally, your contributions to my issue are much appreciated. 

I've been eyeing a move to a field stock anyway, maybe I can find someone interested in a straight trade. The aesthetics of the CA-compliant c-stock are admittedly attractive, but I favor function over form. 

Thanks again to you both. This thread has single-handedly saved me $350+ in orders I would have placed tonight, not to mention the weapon confiscation or worse I faced by undoubtedly strolling into a local range, stock collapsed, and a right-minded employee or witnessing citizen observing my non-compliant modifications. 

-Rex

*Anyone have any threads saved where a person modified an M4 from c-stock to field stock?

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2020 at 8:24 PM, RPC said:

Evo/SD-

You guys are awesome. Your knowledge and wisdom continue to disproportionally contribute to this collective info base. Personally, your contributions to my issue are much appreciated. 

I've been eyeing a move to a field stock anyway, maybe I can find someone interested in a straight trade. The aesthetics of the CA-compliant c-stock are admittedly attractive, but I favor function over form. 

Thanks again to you both. This thread has single-handedly saved me $350+ in orders I would have placed tonight, not to mention the weapon confiscation or worse I faced by undoubtedly strolling into a local range, stock collapsed, and a right-minded employee or witnessing citizen observing my non-compliant modifications. 

-Rex

*Anyone have any threads saved where a person modified an M4 from c-stock to field stock?

Hey brother...what's the status, did you decide on anything?  Are you looking to trade for a field stock?

• 2 weeks later...

Any tips on how to screw that 2 mm screw all the way back in.  I took out the screw on mine to see if I can move it to the middle position and then fix it in place with the screw.  Unfortunately, I cannot move the stock, there is only one position, ugghh!  So I'm in the process of trying to screw that screw all the way in, but it wont budge, I feel like I'm gonna strip it out.

8 hours ago, PinoyPower said:

Any tips on how to screw that 2 mm screw all the way back in.  I took out the screw on mine to see if I can move it to the middle position and then fix it in place with the screw.  Unfortunately, I cannot move the stock, there is only one position, ugghh!  So I'm in the process of trying to screw that screw all the way in, but it wont budge, I feel like I'm gonna strip it out.

Got a picture of what’s going on? Sounds like you have the neutered M1014 receiver extension on a flag edition model. 

Where the screw is now, can you remove the stock from the shotgun? I’m not sure what the screw butts up against. Like when you removed it, was the spring or adjustment button easy to press in? 

You might have to remove the button and spring to install that screw properly. 

Yup, I have the USA flag edition M1014.

With the screw halfway screwed in, I cannot depress the button all the way, nor can remove the stock from the shotgun.  Because its only halfway screwed in, I cannot reattach my cheek rest.

I can screw the screw flush when the stock is at a 45 degree angle.

IMG_5776.thumb.jpg.44f103aea949edd23a2e497a1f5a8642.jpg

IMG_5777.thumb.jpg.691a2e4f472e8f03721efd2daa26603c.jpg

But when the stock is in alignment with the receiver, I can only screw it in halfway.

IMG_5780.thumb.jpg.f38028ab012b2322d4c5f5f2a629ef8b.jpg

Is there a post on how to removed the button and spring for my type of stock?