Question on Benelli M4 CA-Compliant C-Stock

RPC

On 4/28/2020 at 9:30 PM, Piza14 said:

@RPC

Thank you for understanding 

Sorry, I didn’t see the message.

We can link up with PayPal if you want the tube. Just be aware of the difficulty of removing and installing these extensions. The assembly was never meant to come apart. So it takes a lot of heat to get it apart safely. I have threads dedicated to DIY installations.

Edited by StrangerDanger

24 minutes ago, Piza14 said:

@StrangerDanger

Yea It doesn’t look easy at all. I figured I’ll just buy it and then when I’m ready I’ll get in contact with you in the future and send it back out to install if that’s ok with you.

Sure. We can definitely do that. PM me and we can arrange payment and shipping. I have to go find my post where I listed the price. 

On 4/15/2020 at 2:46 PM, CA Comp Featureless Human said:

Thank you Stranger. Will let you know how it goes.

Gentlemen:

Here is an update on my situation - hopefully this helps someone else with a similar problem. The good news - the CA-compliant "C-Stock" is now off and I have my Mesa Urbino installed. The bad news - that hex screw ended up being an incredible pain in the ass. I ended up milling most of it and removing the remainder with an extractor. Unfortunately, that was the only way to get it out. My theory is still red loctite. As anticipated the recoil tube does have just 1 notch, so that screw was redundant - the stock was never adjustable. Thanks for all the help and feedback, especially Stranger. I really appreciate it. I can follow up with some photos if it would help the next guy. 

Glad you got your stock swapped. They definitely made it a lot harder than needed. My guess is that someone claimed the stock could collapse to the disassembly notch. So they forced Benelli to add that screw to shut them up. Previous M1014 flag editions do not have that screw.

Anyone facing this in the future should probably heat the stock before attempting to put much torque on that screw. I'd wager it is some kind of thread locker like red Loctite.

18 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Glad you got your stock swapped. They definitely made it a lot harder than needed. My guess is that someone claimed the stock could collapse to the disassembly notch. So they forced Benelli to add that screw to shut them up. Previous M1014 flag editions do not have that screw.

Anyone facing this in the future should probably heat the stock before attempting to put much torque on that screw. I'd wager it is some kind of thread locker like red Loctite.

Yes - all but confirmed that the screw was red loctited. If I did it again (thank god I don't have to), I would go about things differently, hopefully this helps:

1. Before starting - ask stranger and this forum, develop a plan.

2. Start with a heat gun or a torch to try to break down the thread locker (skip soldering iron, solvent). Remove the trigger group and butt pad and get that bastard really hot. 

3. Use a wheeler fat wrench or similar torque wrench on a pretty low setting with high quality hex bit to try loosening the fastener without stripping it.

4. If it starts to strip, abandon hope of removing with a hex bit move straight to the screw extractor, make sure that the extractor is right sized (very small) for the job.

5. If all else fails, don't be afraid to mill it out. If done carefully, it can be accomplished without damaging the stock or tube.

If going with the Mesa Urbino as replacement, spend the extra $30 and get the model with both the riser and limbsaver (this one: https://www.mesatactical.com/products/urbino-pistol-grip-stock-for-ben-m4-riser-limbsaver-12-ga-black.html). At a minimum, get the version with the riser (https://www.mesatactical.com/products/urbino-pistol-grip-stock-for-ben-m4-riser-standard-butt-12-ga-black.html), you are going to need it if your plan on aiming. 

Out of curiosity, I would be interested if anyone is able to confirm the source of the threadlocked screw. I suspect it was not done at the factory, the screw was a 5/64' SAE like RPC and Pinoy Power. Everything else on the gun appears to be metric. The guy I spoke to at Mesa thought that it was being done by the company importing the guns. 

• Upvote 1