Jeff in CO

Hi,

I'm shamefully new to the Benelli forums.  After owning various Benelli's and even using an M4 on patrol, I just never signed up here.  Anyway, I recently purchased a new SuperNova Tactical LE model (20159) which utilizes the telescoping stock.  The manual states for Trigger Assembly Group removal (Page 59 in the 01/2017 version):

"When the pistol grip or telescopic stock is installed on the shotgun the stock must be loosened before the trigger guard assembly can be removed from the receiver.  To do this partially unscrew the pistol grip stock retaining nut or the telescopic grip retaining ring nut; thus making it possible to detach the pistol grip stock or the telescopic stock grip front the receiver to provide the space necessary for removing the trigger guard assembly."

What tool do you use to remove this nut???  I have searched all over the internet and YouTube.  Over the last two months, I've sent repeated messages to Benelli (using their online submission form) and never got a response.  I called customer service this past week, and they told me to use either a crescent wrench or pliers.

I'm having a hard time believing that Benelli loosens and tightens this nut using a crescent wrench or pliers (plus it doesn't make good contact).  I don't want to mar the pistol grip loosening this thing.  It has holes in it as if there is some sort of special spanner wrench to loosen and torque the nut.  Does anyone know what tool Benelli really uses and the proper way to loosen this thing since it is required for a general field strip?  I saw this question posted on here back in 2010 or 2011, and they never got a response.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given!

Jeff

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 22.26.31.png

Schutzhund,

Thanks for the reply!  I looked at the M3 instructions to see what you were talking about, and the M3 doesn't require that nut to be loosened to remove the trigger group.  On the M3, there is an additional U-shaped notch (on top) where you insert the bolt handle to remove the stock (see attached photos from Benelli's website). That's not the part I'm talking about.  I'm talking about that locking nut that is only accessible from the sides.  The holes are only about ¼" deep, and I did try a screwdriver (partially bent it) and it won't budge.  I also tried the charging handle bolt from my M4 shotgun (I believe it is identical to the M3's), and it is just a little too large to fit in the holes.  Underneath the holes is the threaded shaft, and the idea of messing up the threads would be a disaster.

I'm looking at trying this:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PL3VFJ/ref=psdc_553408_t1_B000RHSNQE?th=1 and placing a towel over the top of the grip.

It would really be good to know what others do, as well as what Benelli actually uses, since they require it for a field strip.  So far, I'm a little frustrated with Benelli's lack of information/response on this.  Had the shotgun now for 2-months and cannot use it since I cannot even field strip it.  I have a hard time believing that other people have just marred up their pistol grip stock field stripping this thing.  The nut from the factory is really torqued down (note bent Milwaukee screwdriver above) and won't even remotely budge.

FY4C1423.png

FY4C1427.png

Hmm i myself have torqued down friends M3 with its own charging handle(yes the same nut you are talking about wich is only accessible from the sides, if i remember correctly i could not get his trigger group from the reciever without loosening the nut). And as far as i can tell charge handles on M3 and M4 are the same. Could it be that M3 5 pos stock and Supernova 5 pos stocks are different as i have not had a chance to play with a Supernova. 

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!  ?

Schutzhund,

Thanks for the reply!  You would know better than I would.  I was quickly perusing the M3 manual and probably missed it.  As far as I know, it is the same stock system, but I cannot remove mine like they show with the M3 (from the top as that extra "U"-shaped cutout is not on my grip).  I think part of my problem is the factory had the retaining nut torqued down so much, it was going to be impossible to move it with something like the bolt.

I went ahead and purchased the "Vmotor Chrome Vanadium Adjustable C Spanner Hook Wrench Tool - 3/4-2"(19-51mm)" from Amazon (link in previous post).  The holes are 4mm in diameter, so the other wrenches on that page would be too big (correct size highlighted in screenshot with pricing).  It's only $11.  I'm guessing they use something similar to this in the factory.  It loosened the nut with virtually no effort.  The surface is wide enough, it doesn't mar the polymer top of the grip (although I'm sure over time I will start to see a little shine from it, but that is no big deal).  It also allowed me to easily torque the grip back on so it won't loosen while shooting.  I'll just keep this in my gun case with the gun.

Hopefully this helps if anyone else runs into this.  I still think Benelli needs to do a better job with providing information about this, especially on the pump SuperNova that doesn't have any sort of charging handle.

Jeff

61Kh5lg8PeL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 21.57.36.png

Edited by Jeff in CO
Modified screenshot to include image of correct size wrench.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 9:56 PM, Jeff in CO said:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!  ?

Schutzhund,

Thanks for the reply!  You would know better than I would.  I was quickly perusing the M3 manual and probably missed it.  As far as I know, it is the same stock system, but I cannot remove mine like they show with the M3 (from the top as that extra "U"-shaped cutout is not on my grip).  I think part of my problem is the factory had the retaining nut torqued down so much, it was going to be impossible to move it with something like the bolt.

I went ahead and purchased the "Vmotor Chrome Vanadium Adjustable C Spanner Hook Wrench Tool - 3/4-2"(19-51mm)" from Amazon (link in previous post).  The holes are 4mm in diameter, so the other wrenches on that page would be too big (correct size highlighted in screenshot with pricing).  It's only $11.  I'm guessing they use something similar to this in the factory.  It loosened the nut with virtually no effort.  The surface is wide enough, it doesn't mar the polymer top of the grip (although I'm sure over time I will start to see a little shine from it, but that is no big deal).  It also allowed me to easily torque the grip back on so it won't loosen while shooting.  I'll just keep this in my gun case with the gun.

Hopefully this helps if anyone else runs into this.  I still think Benelli needs to do a better job with providing information about this, especially on the pump SuperNova that doesn't have any sort of charging handle.

Jeff

61Kh5lg8PeL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 21.57.36.png

HI JEFF, MAYBE YOU COULD HELP ME WITH A QUESTION ABOUT THE SUPERNOVA TELESCOPIC STOCK: HOW CAN I REMOVE THE RUBBER PAD/BUTTSTOCK? I noticed there's 2 little holes in it, but seems like there's no screws in it. Hope you can help me with this! Thank you!

benelli.JPG

14 hours ago, Facundo said:

HI JEFF, MAYBE YOU COULD HELP ME WITH A QUESTION ABOUT THE SUPERNOVA TELESCOPIC STOCK: HOW CAN I REMOVE THE RUBBER PAD/BUTTSTOCK? I noticed there's 2 little holes in it, but seems like there's no screws in it. Hope you can help me with this! Thank you!

benelli.JPG

You should be able to apply a little lube to a philips screw driver, press it in to the holes firmly and unscrew the screw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That spanner wrench is the wrong tool for the job. It works, but not as well plain old 4mm punch (or 5/32" would work too in this case).

If you invest into the this hobby, you should have punch set anyways.They are so useful for so many things! I damaged one of my guns when I was new because I had the wrong tools for the job.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2020 at 10:51 PM, Vertigofirearms said:

That spanner wrench is the wrong tool for the job. It works, but not as well plain old 4mm punch (or 5/32" would work too in this case).

If you invest into the this hobby, you should have punch set anyways.They are so useful for so many things! I damaged one of my guns when I was new because I had the wrong tools for the job.

As a new owner of Supernova Tactical I was having the same issue, solved now thanks to you @Vertigofirearms and @Jeff in CO - got myself a punch set. One note though - the nut in my Supernova has holes 5mm (3/16") wide, 4mm (5/32") punch was too small. Hope it helps someone out.

Edited by Bartek
typo
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Kelevra0313 said:

Hey all,

Just got this telescoping stock for my Supernova... was wondering myself the best way to tighten that up... thanks for the answer.

As a follow up question... do you guys loctite those threads for the grip?

Don’t need it. It actually locks in place super good. 

• 10 months later...
On 2/29/2020 at 12:48 AM, Jeff in CO said:

Hi,

I'm shamefully new to the Benelli forums.  After owning various Benelli's and even using an M4 on patrol, I just never signed up here.  Anyway, I recently purchased a new SuperNova Tactical LE model (20159) which utilizes the telescoping stock.  The manual states for Trigger Assembly Group removal (Page 59 in the 01/2017 version):

"When the pistol grip or telescopic stock is installed on the shotgun the stock must be loosened before the trigger guard assembly can be removed from the receiver.  To do this partially unscrew the pistol grip stock retaining nut or the telescopic grip retaining ring nut; thus making it possible to detach the pistol grip stock or the telescopic stock grip front the receiver to provide the space necessary for removing the trigger guard assembly."

What tool do you use to remove this nut???  I have searched all over the internet and YouTube.  Over the last two months, I've sent repeated messages to Benelli (using their online submission form) and never got a response.  I called customer service this past week, and they told me to use either a crescent wrench or pliers.

I'm having a hard time believing that Benelli loosens and tightens this nut using a crescent wrench or pliers (plus it doesn't make good contact).  I don't want to mar the pistol grip loosening this thing.  It has holes in it as if there is some sort of special spanner wrench to loosen and torque the nut.  Does anyone know what tool Benelli really uses and the proper way to loosen this thing since it is required for a general field strip?  I saw this question posted on here back in 2010 or 2011, and they never got a response.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given!

Jeff

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 22.26.31.png

I know this is a bit late, but you can use those 2 trigger group pins to tighten and loosen the nut.

Just like you're able to use the magazine cap as a punch tool to remove those pins from the receiver, the pins' diameter were originally designed for tightening and loosening that nut!

• Like 1