Carriercomp PSA

TorchRedTulsan

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, TorchRedTulsan said:

Got mine in the mail today. Took me about 30 minutes to tear down and install. Biggest headache was getting that spring retainer clip out. My snap ring pliers kept slipping off. Huge thanks to @StrangerDanger for his writeup from 2011. The gift that keeps on giving.

did you use a vice?  wondering if it's doable without one lol.

59 minutes ago, joegie said:

did you use a vice?  wondering if it's doable without one lol.

I didn't use a vice or have an extra set of hands. Did it all at my kitchen table. Maybe I was just lucky or did it a non-recommended way, but I applied the heat and it came loose fairly easily after 5 minutes.

1 minute ago, TorchRedTulsan said:

I didn't use a vice or have an extra set of hands. Did it all at my kitchen table. Maybe I was just lucky or did it a non-recommended way, but I applied the heat and it came loose fairly easily after 5 minutes.

good to know, i'll try to mess with mine tonight, I only have a high powered hair dryer so hopefully that will heat it up enough lol.

• Like 1

Just installed my tube, a few observations:

my factory tube had a ton of locktite, heat gun worked but took a good effort.

the tube color is close, not exact- not too worried but just FYI.

the large nut that threads on to the end of the tube and holds the barrel ring in place was not easy to thread on, not sure why.

I had no problem loading seven shells, definitely happy I did this.

1 hour ago, skohler said:

Just installed my tube, a few observations:

my factory tube had a ton of locktite, heat gun worked but took a good effort.

the tube color is close, not exact- not too worried but just FYI.

the large nut that threads on to the end of the tube and holds the barrel ring in place was not easy to thread on, not sure why.

I had no problem loading seven shells, definitely happy I did this.

Similarities:

I was slightly disappointed in the tube color match. I'm a bit...particular about stuff like that, but I got over it fairly quickly

My magazine cap also was harder to screw on

Loaded 7 with ease and am very happy

Differences:

I had almost no loctite on mine. The tube threads had no residue and there was very little in the receiver.

got he heat gun last night and the mag tube is one, wasn't too much caked on locktite but it did take a while to heat it up, maybe i was being overly cautious.  i also noticed a slight difference in color, but not that big of a deal.  my end cap threaded up with no issues.

thanks everyone for the tips!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Rub some oil on the area and it’ll probably look the same as before. There is little chance of a heat gun hurting the finish. It typically just dries the area out of oil. 

I still recommend focusing the heat on the magazine tube you’re removing. 

oh i meant the color difference between the mag tube and the barrel. my receiver still looks fine, i doubt i went too high because it still took a good amount of force to get it off since i didn’t have a vice lol