Questions on the M4 tatical non pistol grip

Mbamber

Just purchased a M4 tatical, im new to owning a semi auto, I have a 590 mossberg and from what I remember you can put anything in there and it will shoot, but that's a pump and I had questions about the ammo, I was told to use (High Brass) rounds and buy 1600 fps velocity rounds for instance they sold me Hornady Black, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4" Shell, 00 Buckshot, 10 Rounds, are these the only rounds this gun can shoot or is recommended to shoot, or is this just like the break in period, I want to purchase 00 buck but I dont know what to get and nothing I seen states high brass and all the other rounds I seen are about 1325 fps velocity 

"High brass" these days is a little bit of a misnomer.  There are plenty of high velocity and magnum rounds that use low brass, and vice versa.  As for the M4, I've had one for years and even used it on patrol.  When I first got it, there would be an occasional misfeed with low recoil buckshot (in the 1,100 FPS range).  After a few hundred rounds, I have since never experienced those issues.  The rounds I use consistently for tactical work (and defense) are the Federal LE132 00 (9-pellet low recoil, 1,145 FPS with FliteControl) and the Federal LEB127 LRS (low recoil TruBall slug; 1,300 FPS).  I also shoot full power loads, all the way up to the Brenneke "Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration Magnum (1,650 FPS with 3,545 Ft-Lbs. of energy, yes, you really feel that thing!!!).  If yours breaks in and doesn't have issue with low recoil, go for it.  Low recoil loads allow for very quick follow-up shots for both defense and competition.

With the assisted gas piston system of the M4, I think it is less finicky than the M1/M2 systems would probably be.  I don't know why some people say things like they did with you, other than not having one and being a "know-it-all."

The best advice, try a whole bunch of different loads and determine the reliability.  After you have run around 500 rounds through it, go back and re-run another series of loads that may have had issues initially.  Every shotgun is different, and what works for mine may have issues in yours.

Also, for whatever reason, Benelli felt the need to include a modified choke with the M4 (both the LE and civilian versions).  I've never understood that logic.  They don't recommend running slugs through anything tighter than an improved cylinder.  I personally keep a cylinder bore choke in there since I typically run the FliteControl buck loads.  They don't need a constricted choke and actually open up more with tighter chokes.  By switching out to a cylinder bore or an improved cylinder, it also allows you to go back and forth between good buck loads and slugs.

IMHO, the M4 is still one of the best tactical/duty shotguns on the market.  At the same time, the tactical shotgun is something to train with and master.  Learn to master it, and it won't let you down.  Enjoy your new tool!

Jeff

• Upvote 1

I agree with the above but for two exceptions. You'll probaly only need 50 to 100 rounds of the higher velocity ammo before you can shoot lower velocity ammo reliably depends on the gun though. The second thing is you can shoot slugs through a modified choke.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:09 PM, jimbo45 said:

I agree with the above but for two exceptions. You'll probaly only need 50 to 100 rounds of the higher velocity ammo before you can shoot lower velocity ammo reliably depends on the gun though. The second thing is you can shoot slugs through a modified choke.

Jimbo,

Thanks for the info on the choke.  I think it was the Benelli rep at that was working with my agency that had stated that, but I have never seen it in writing.  I guess the choke still has me baffled as to why they have always included the modified.  When shooting buckshot with the FliteControl wad or Hornady's version, it opens up the patterns with mine.  We had anyone going through the transition course switch it out with the cylinder choke just to tighten up those patterns.

You're probably right about the lower round count.  We ran the M4 transition course (from the 870) over 3-days with approximately 500 rounds.  It just guaranteed for a duty weapon that the kinks and problems would be worked out.

Have a great day!

7 hours ago, Jeff in CO said:

Jimbo,

Thanks for the info on the choke.  I think it was the Benelli rep at that was working with my agency that had stated that, but I have never seen it in writing.

Here it is in writing; https://www.benelliusa.com/support/faq The Benelli rep told your people that because they plainly say that it is not safe to shoot slugs thru anything tighter than an IC.

Obviously, lots of people ignore that advice and do it without apparent problems- yet.

Edited by Evolution
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Evolution said:

Here it is in writing; https://www.benelliusa.com/support/faq The Benelli rep told your people that because they plainly say that it is not safe to shoot slugs thru anything tighter than an IC.

Obviously, lots of people ignore that advice and do it without apparent problems- yet.

Well that is pretty clear. I personally never had an issue with slugs and the modified choke but I suppose thats a choice for the individual.