Benelli M4 - Taking advantage of great lighting

StrangerDanger

15,000 rounds later and a mix of Nickel Boron and NP3 plated parts with a surface layer of burnt bronze Cerakote. Due to the ongoing crisis, I decided it would be a good time to clean the M4. I have just been shooting more oil in to the M4 for the past two years or so. It's ate about 2,500 rounds in that period of time without any failures. I decided to delete the iron sights from my M4 since they obstruct the view of the optic. My Intellibeam weapon light is off being painted for the past month or so, so I'm roughing it with my 500 lumen M600C head that was painted previously.

TYb16Uz.jpg

The bolt carrier group and trigger group is all NP3.

NITfDnP.jpg

3asy4k0.jpg

• Upvote 3

I had to smack the pistons out with a plastic hammer. They were free to move with the ARGO plugs in place, but once they were removed and the pistons were pushed out the front they were gummed up. The pistons themselves were Nickel Boron plated back around 2013. No oil is ever used on the pistons or the ARGO system to avoid smoke during firing. The bolt carrier group was fairly easy to clean. The only carbon build up was on the bolt itself. There was some unburnt powder or shell media randomly scattered throughout the carrier. Given that it was NP3+ plated, the assembly wiped clean with a rag. A Tornado brush was used to remove all the lead embedded in the barrel. There was a pretty good sized pile of lead slivers on the ground from the brush. The trigger pack collects a lot of debris from the shells. Given that all the parts were NP3+ plated, they wiped clean easily. I felt no need to submerge it in the ultrasonic cleaner or disassemble the trigger pack. Just wipe it down and cleaned with Q-tips, then reoiled. The inside of the receiver was plated in nickel boron way back when as well. Carbon build up was present inside the rails for the bolt carrier and where the pistons make contact with the bolt carrier group. This was easily cleaned with Q-Tips. Random debris was collecting in the back of the receiver beneath the rear sight. This area has no effect on performance. There was quite a bit of carbon build up beneath the plastic handguards, this area wiped clean easily as well.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, D'zaster said:

Awesome. Did you consider NP3 for the pistons or is that just a bad idea?

I can tell my new Benelli adventure is gonna be fun ?!

NP3 would be a better choice than nickel boron. I usually have to sand the pistons down on the high spots to get them to fit the shotgun. I put the piston in my drill gun and hold the 2000 grit paper around the piston and run it for 30 seconds at a time. Then test fit the piston to the barrel assembly. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Nocturnalnature said:

How'd the barrel get scratched so quickly directly in front of the flashlight?

Not picking, just curious since I have held off on mounting a light to avoid adding unnecessary finish wear.

Good eyes. That's from my Intellibeam Scout head. The diameter is like 1.375" which is much larger than the C or even the DF model. I had to machine the lobes off of the light head so that it would fit when using an Ava Tactical Mod 1 mount. That's the main reason that head is off being painted, to cover the bare aluminum.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, StrangerDanger said:

You’d know all about that I’m sure. It’s obviously been plated in NP3. 

well make sure it stays pretty, thats whats important.    If you need to shoot your M4, its best to put that one under glass, and buy another one and shoot the "ugly" one.

but the ugly one eventually gets the upgrade too, then youll need to buy another one.

thats how i ended up with 4 benelli M4's.   

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

You done yet? Even to someone on the spectrum you should be able to tell that no one values your opinion.

We have missed your daily autistic rants though. 

"Only facts and logic are to be valued, not the musings and opinions of the peoples " - PROCLUS

Here ended the lesson son.

• Downvote 1