SBE2 cycling issues

Niedermeier23

Hello everyone, new to the forum here.

Over the last couple of years I have began to be plagued by cycling issues regarding my SBE2, in specifics 2 3/4 inch shells. 
Now I would like to start by saying this is a gun that I have owned for going on 11 years and have put close to 20,000 rounds through it during that time. I noticed the problem dove hunting a couple years ago when it wouldn’t fully cycle Remington Gun clubs. Since then it absolutely will not cycle any target load, and will not cycle most 2 3/4 magnum rounds. It will either stove pipe the empty hull or eject it but the next round will get caught under the bolt carrier (bolt won’t cycle all the way back). This problem has lead me to purchasing another shotgun.

Now that that is addressed I would like to add this. I have tried several different kinds of cleaners including CLP, Lucas gun oil, frog lube, hoppes, and clenzoil. I’ve tried powdered graphite along the slide rail, I’ve tried well oiled, light oiled, and bone dry. I’ve cleaned every nook and cranny in this gun you can imagine. I have also replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff XP and have tried a RP spring, as well as a factory replacement. I’ve replaced magazine caps followers, inertia springs, and locking pin retainer. (I’m sure I’m leaving something out).

I love the gun, I shoot it very well but I can’t trust the reliability issues. Any advice or comments would be appreciated as I would love to get the gun back shooting again so I don’t have to keep shooting a dang beretta 

This sound odd. The only time I get this type of issue is with light loads and weak shouldering of the gun. But you said it does it with magnum loads also?

You might want to contact Benelli's techs and see if they have any ideas? Possibly send it into be fixed. These guns are lifetime guns, I hope you sort it out. 

Good Luck!

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem with mine. I can shoot 1oz and 1 1/8oz and 1 1/4 oz loads. As soon as I try1 3/8 oz( my favorite late season pheasant load)it becomes a single shot. No problem at all with 3” or 3 1/2” loads. It has been across the pond 3 times for repairs. It comes back stating that it functions fine? My cousin has the same issue with his SBE2 only his only fails about every 4th shot. My daughter has the same gun and hers functions flawlessly? 

On 4/7/2020 at 12:47 AM, Niedermeier23 said:

Hello everyone, new to the forum here.

Over the last couple of years I have began to be plagued by cycling issues regarding my SBE2, in specifics 2 3/4 inch shells. 
Now I would like to start by saying this is a gun that I have owned for going on 11 years and have put close to 20,000 rounds through it during that time. I noticed the problem dove hunting a couple years ago when it wouldn’t fully cycle Remington Gun clubs. Since then it absolutely will not cycle any target load, and will not cycle most 2 3/4 magnum rounds. It will either stove pipe the empty hull or eject it but the next round will get caught under the bolt carrier (bolt won’t cycle all the way back). This problem has lead me to purchasing another shotgun.

Now that that is addressed I would like to add this. I have tried several different kinds of cleaners including CLP, Lucas gun oil, frog lube, hoppes, and clenzoil. I’ve tried powdered graphite along the slide rail, I’ve tried well oiled, light oiled, and bone dry. I’ve cleaned every nook and cranny in this gun you can imagine. I have also replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff XP and have tried a RP spring, as well as a factory replacement. I’ve replaced magazine caps followers, inertia springs, and locking pin retainer. (I’m sure I’m leaving something out).

I love the gun, I shoot it very well but I can’t trust the reliability issues. Any advice or comments would be appreciated as I would love to get the gun back shooting again so I don’t have to keep shooting a dang beretta 

This sound like a Carrier that is out of adjustment.  A few issues have come up in this thread that requires careful thought. Benelli guns that are sent to Benelli USA are not sent to Italy for repair.  When replacing Super Black Eagle recoil spring my choice is generally the OEM Benelli spring that can get purchased at Midwest Gun Works part number 61088. The Wolff 25% increase spring is to stiff for "Light Loads" remembering the minimum oz. for 3.5" Benelli is 1 1/8. Many guns will shoot lighter in the right environment such as correct shouldering, warmer weather, shooting from the 11 O'clock to the 1 O'clock when the bolt now faces the force of gravity.   I am including a list of Quick Tips that I have shared several times.  The list general in applications list good insights on Cycling and Benelli fitting.   

QUICK TIPS – Benelli

Ø SHOOTING BB’S – EVERY SHELL MUST DROP FREELY INTO CHAMBER – MOST DON’T, BENELLI BORES GUN TIGHT – CAPTURE ENERTIA

Ø ENERTIA GUNS MUST BE SHOULDERD

Ø CORRECT RECOIL SPRING –

Ø RECOIL SPRING TOLERANCES EVEN NEW ARE POOR

Ø CLEAN GUN

Ø RECOIL SPRING TUBE – CLEAN VERY LITTLE LUBE

Ø IF THE MAGAZINE IS NOT RELEASING SHELLS OR RELEASES MULTIPLES YOUR CARRIER LATCH OR DROP SHELL LEVER IS OUT OF SPEC, MAYBE BOTH

Ø SHOOTING OVERHEAD 10 OCLOCK TO 2 OCLOCK WILL TEST MOST BENELLI’S RECOIL SPRING  AND CLEANING – BOLT NOW HAS TO FACE THE FORCE OF GRAVITY RETURNING TO 1/16 TWIST BATTERY

Ø MOST GUNS THAT SHOOT HIGH ARE NOT FITTED PROPERLY – FLAT RIB, FLOAT TARGET

Ø MOST GUNS THAT SHOOT LEFT OR RIGHT, IS AN EYE ALIGNMENT FITTING ISSUE

Ø BENELLI PATTERNING SPEC IS:

Benelli Pattern Spec:

Up to 2” right of left

Up to 5” above POA

Up to 2” Below POA

At 21 yards

Please reach out if I can further assist.