Surefire M300 vs M600DF Light for M4

DFWSFO

On 5/1/2020 at 11:20 AM, StrangerDanger said:

I never got the appeal of the M300 unless you had an extremely short firearm. Even if you have the 14” entry M4, the M600 will fit better. 

With the M4, you benefit by having the longer light since it reduces barrel shadowing. If you just want the lower output, there are plenty of old Scout lamps that have much lower outputs. 

do you think the m600DF would be too bright for indoor use? ie, mount home defense only Benelli? it would've been good if the m600 has a low output and and high output mode. is there something else that you'd recommend for indoor use

39 minutes ago, xrayos said:

do you think the m600DF would be too bright for indoor use? ie, mount home defense only Benelli? it would've been good if the m600 has a low output and and high output mode. is there something else that you'd recommend for indoor use

The DF is bright. But if you avoid lighting up walls head on, it will minimize the light blow back. I use a M600IB on both of mine. It auto adjusts between 100-600 lumens. The problem is the head is much larger diameter and needs to be machined your make fit on a IWC or Ava Mount. I hope Surefire releases a DF model with the intellibeam Scout at some point. 

On 5/1/2020 at 5:54 PM, DFWSFO said:

So, this may be a dumb question, but how exactly do Scout lights mount to the IWC Scout Mount? I have one of the Pros that comes with the low profile 1913 mount, so I just used the 1913 version of the IWC. However, I don’t see how it would actually be screwed onto the scout mount otherwise. Close up pic below of mine: 

image.jpg

I decided to go Scout 300 on my M4 and 600 Pro on my Beretta 1301. Light options on that gun literally suck. I figured out a solution using a Magpul cantilever Mount with a Nordic clamp but it’s like a bandaid on a major wound. The Pro should help things a bit. 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:25 PM, StrangerDanger said:

The DF is bright. But if you avoid lighting up walls head on, it will minimize the light blow back. I use a M600IB on both of mine. It auto adjusts between 100-600 lumens. The problem is the head is much larger diameter and needs to be machined your make fit on a IWC or Ava Mount. I hope Surefire releases a DF model with the intellibeam Scout at some point. 

How would this DF model mount,  M600DF

https://www.surefire.com/products/illumination/weapon-lights/m600df-scout-light-weaponlight/

4 minutes ago, geno0506 said:

You would remove those two torx bit screws and unscrew the thumb screw. The picatinny mount will then fall away from the body. There are two threaded holes on the base of that mounting lug that will index with the IWC mount.

Another option would be to replace the body of the Surefire light with the Modlite 18650 body. The mounting foot offers a cleaner installation and the Modlite body is a little lighter than the Surefire one.

Surefire: 30.5 grams

Modlite 18650: 27.0 grams

3DhCzzq.jpg?1

Top to bottom:

Surefire M600C, Surefire 123A body, Surefire tailcap. 500 lumen output

Surefire M600IB modified, IWC M600 Bacbone body, Surefire tailcap. 100-600 lumen output

Surefire M600DF, Modlite 18650 body, Surefire tailcap. 1,500 lumen output

M600DF Surefire body

18650 Keep Power 3500mAh battery

5 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

3DhCzzq.jpg?1

Top to bottom:

Surefire M600IB modified, IWC M600 Bacbone body, Surefire tailcap. 100-600 lumen output

M600DF Surefire body

Hey @StrangerDanger thanks a bunch for the great info, it will help me

a lot!

13 minutes ago, geno0506 said:

Hey @StrangerDanger thanks a bunch for the great info, it will help me

a lot!

3DhCzzq.jpg?1

Top to bottom:

M600DF Surefire body

@StrangerDanger

So either one of the 3, I'de have to modify them to work, I was thinking they would just fit on the mount!   What would be the best flash light/mount way to go without modding!  Like a SureFire or equivalent quality brand for Home Defense and such for a blinding light inside or outside home!

Any suggestions thanks!

The middle Intellibeam has to be modified to fit. The other two do not. You can use the supplied Scout bodies, or upgrade them for lighter weight and better mounting footprints. On the Surefire bodies, you just have to remove the factory mount which is really easy to do to work with the IWC mounting solution. Modifying the tailcap is an optional modification. 

I would buy the M600DF model if buying today. 

6 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

The middle Intellibeam has to be modified to fit. The other two do not. You can use the supplied Scout bodies, or upgrade them for lighter weight and better mounting footprints. On the Surefire bodies, you just have to remove the factory mount which is really easy to do to work with the IWC mounting solution. Modifying the tailcap is an optional modification. 

I would buy the M600DF model if buying today. 

Appreciate the info, great as always!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 2:29 PM, ClackClackBAM said:

Stranger, will those SureFire lights with the Intellibeam be able to handle the recoil of a 12 gauge?

I’d like to put a scout light on my M4 but if I’m going to be adding weight, I want it make sure it’s a light that I’ll never need to replace. 

They have held up for me and they’re supposedly potted like all the other Scout lights. You will need to modify the light to fit the Benelli though. The knurling will need to be machined off. 

Most users are better off going with the Duel Fuel model that requires no modifications. 

17 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

They have held up for me and they’re supposedly potted like all the other Scout lights. You will need to modify the light to fit the Benelli though. The knurling will need to be machined off. 

Most users are better off going with the Duel Fuel model that requires no modifications. 

I like the Dual Fuel model but 1,500 lumens is way too much for a home defense weapon, IMO. If I am waking up in a black room in the dead of the night then turning that thing on, I'll be completely blinded.

The 1500 isn’t that bad. When I compared it to my IB models, it didn’t seem like it was double the output. There is also some technique with a weapon light of any output. Only run the light as little as possible. Keep the muzzle low so you’re reflecting light off of the ground rather than straight on with walls. Movement with a weapon light is key. You should never have the light clicked on and wandering around. It should be brief stick and move output. This is where momentary light control is critical any why I dislike tape switches. The tape switches have dead spots and unreliable activation points. Even the expensive ones like TAPS aren’t great. The Surefire tailcap is ideal for momentary control. 

On 6/9/2020 at 11:41 PM, StrangerDanger said:

The 1500 isn’t that bad. When I compared it to my IB models, it didn’t seem like it was double the output. There is also some technique with a weapon light of any output. Only run the light as little as possible. Keep the muzzle low so you’re reflecting light off of the ground rather than straight on with walls. Movement with a weapon light is key. You should never have the light clicked on and wandering around. It should be brief stick and move output. This is where momentary light control is critical any why I dislike tape switches. The tape switches have dead spots and unreliable activation points. Even the expensive ones like TAPS aren’t great. The Surefire tailcap is ideal for momentary control. 

Hmm, I see. 
I would still like to go with the M600IB but maching it seems annoying. I can have a friend do it, but will I lose the black anodizing? Is it possible to recolor it?

You’ll have a hard time changing batteries since the batteries come out from under the lamp head, not the tail cap. You’d have to dismount the entire weapon light mount.

On mine I had them painted in cold cure Cerakote after the machining. 

I was wondering about that.
Not too worried though. Those batteries last for a while and I won't be using the light very often. May be more of a pain to change the batteries but I'd rather that than remove the cool knurling. 

I haven’t handled one in person, but the pivot seems like a failure point I wouldn’t want. Looks like the screw set the light’s position. I don’t like that. Seems like a part that will get knocked loose then be flopping around until you can secure it. 

There are better, simpler designs that would be cheaper than what it’s retailing for. You can buy a DF model on Amazon and elsewhere for 240-260 bucks. On an AR platform, use an inline mount for whatever attachment standard you’re running. The mount is like 40 bucks. 

If you’re mounting to a Benelli, IWC is the way to go there and you won’t need the picatinny connector. The IWC will bolt directly to the light’s body. 

• Upvote 1