New M4 build

Sigfla

Well I hope to have my gun in hand tomorrow. My 870 is at the gunsmith now so I am excited to pickup the M4. I couldn’t help but accessorize it a bit. I went with a Scalarworks Sync Mount, Holosun 508v2, Mesa Tac stock, Ambi sling mounts, Titanium tube from FreedomTac, new forend (gonna have my friend stipple), new follower, IWC light mount, BUT not sure on the light (I had wanted the AVA to use my Olight M2 but that’s a no go). I’ll see when it all gets here whether I want to buy another Scout light setup. I love Surefire but they are $$ and Olight has been amazing lately. I had wanted to avoid using a pic rail with my light. 

• Like 1

Picked up my M4 today. Getting my 870 back from the smith tomorrow. It’s a good week so far. Let me say this gun is typical benelli. Excellent quality. I have a long draw (30.5) shooting bows and am a bigger guy at 6.1 feet. The factory stock is fine for me wearing a T shirt. Anything bulkier and it would be slightly too long. I am glad I ordered the Mesa Tac stock. I debated swapping the safety bc I shoot lefty. As it is from a slung position it’s easy and more natural at the moment to hit the safety with my thumb. Even if I have to tilt the gun slightly depending on position. We will see as time progresses if I decide to reverse it. I have parts coming so in the next few days I hope to have it fully rigged out. For now all I have is my 1/2 charging handle and ambi sling adapter for the Mesa. 

Well the last of the packages arrived today. The new Titanium magazine tube looks great and seems to have taken a lot of weight off the gun. It feels a bit more like my 870 weight wise when slung now. Installation was a breeze. I used a 20 dollar heat gun from amazon and it took about 5 minutes of heat to break the thread lock. I did as recommended on here and primarily heated up the tube rather than the receiver. I did on occasion place the heat gun in the receiver focusing on the bottom of the tube a little bit but 99.9% of my heat was on the tube itself. I used a pair of channel locks on the factory tube to turn it since my first attempt resulted in a warm hand. In any case it is a simple install and not one to worry about once you get over the idea of heating up your gun a bit. 

The Mesa stock fits nicely but I am again convinced my factory trigger group is a little out of spec and wide at the rear. I had to push a bit on the stock to get it to seat properly with the trigger group installed. Once on it was no problem. As I said before I have long arms and the stock fit nicely. It feels a lot more like my AR's than a long shotgun stock. 

The Holosun 507 v2 fit the Scalarworks Sync perfectly but the provided screws are too long. Thankfully Holosun provides shorter screws for just this event. I used the Holosun provided screws to mount the 507 and it went on nicely without having the screws stick out the bottom as they did with the Scalarworks ones. I torqued to their spec with my Wheeler wrench. 15 inch pounds for the dot and 7 for the base. 7 seems very light but I assume thats due to the aluminum receiver.  

So far I am happy with the setup. My initial intent to use the Mesa Tac QD button sling plate was quickly changed to the standard loops in the stock. I have tried several options with shotguns and so far it seems either a single point or 2 point running the rear loop on the opposing side of the stock works best. I can do either or with my setup so once i actually use the gun in a training environment I will settle on a setup. 

PICTURES!!!  please

Thanks for bringing up the torque values (as has been done on this forum before).  I need to start paying attention to the recommended weights as I just give it a snug+ tightening and I am starting to think that ain't bueno way to go.

I’ll try and get a pic. I don’t have photo bucket anymore so it may take me a min to figure out. Scalarworks actually has in their directions a procedure if you don’t have a torque wrench but I always recommend using one. I have a couple of precision rifles and I mount my own scopes bc I am ocd about it. My father-in-law just cranks his down and he has broken a Leopold reticle before.