RMR 3 or 6 dot size for M4

SnidelyWhiplash

Wow! I’m really surprised that there are so many proponents of the smaller sized red dots. I was ready to order the 6 mos size after reading on another forum   “Jerry Miculek uses a vortex venom but with a custom 8moa dot on his pistol and his old 6moa rmr on his shotgun.”

Now I’m not so sure which to get.

1 hour ago, Milspec said:

I looked at what Scalarworks bundles with their sync mounts and went with that.  I figured since they make the sync they should have a pretty good handle on it.

I did the same and it came with the 3.25 dot. The SYNC mount works well with the RMR, replacing the factory rail. Great design!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CobraBG said:

I did the same and it came with the 3.25 dot. The SYNC mount works well with the RMR, replacing the factory rail. Great design!

I obtained my SRO through other means but I went with the 2.5 MOA that they had paired with the Sync.  Figure at 50 yards the dot is still just 1.25 MOA.

Edited by Milspec

• 6 months later...

Smaller the dot, smaller the smudge from the astigmatism. Running the dot at lower power helps too. I was sighting in an AR15 build yesterday with a Holosun knock off of an Aimpoint T1, and noted the smear. So I turned it down to the point where I could just barely see the dot. The lower powered dot will obstruct your target less so you can make precise aiming. 

I wouldn’t leave the optic in this low powered state once deployed for self defense or duty use. Just to sight in the firearm in so that you know of any aiming errors occur, they’re on you and not the sights. 

Typically the MOA "dot size" is similar in presentation size thru the optic lens to the operator in most optics. What is different between devices is what that dot size represents at various distances. For a shotgun a 2.5 MOA represents 0.625" @ 25 yards impact variation; an 8 MOA dot represents 2" impact variation. A 12 gauge slug is  ~0..72" so a 2.5 MOA most closely represents the slug size impact at 25 yards. Double those MOA numbers for 50 yards, 1.25" v. 4" impact variation; 4X those numbers @ 100 yards.  Finally, most red dot optics project the "red light" from behind the lens at an angle to the center of the rear surface of the optic lens which itself is usually angled rearward; any debris that accumulates in the area of the "projector" red light source will create blurred / distorted red dot images as the light is diffracted passing thru the trash en route to the lens, particularly with a pistol mounted optic; check / clean that area with alcohol and a Q-tip before declaring astigmatism issues.