Ubino stock installation, should I use any blue locktite ?

Spence82

So I have an M4, swapping out the stock for the Ubino one with riser support.  My question is, should I use any locktite  on the retaining assembly in the stock?

i saw a couple horror stories re: locktite on the assembly so I wanted to ask other owners.

Do not use locktite!!! The stock is screwed into the recoil spring retaining plug. If you lock these two parts together, you will never get them apart. Any future attempt to remove the stock will only back out the retaining plug; leaving it inside of your stock.

I kinda like the idea of locktighting the retaining plug instead. Have to use heat to remove it but that’s no biggie once in a blue moon. I wish someone has a pictorial on reinstallation of that spring and plug though so I could get an idea how tough it is. Sounds a bit like removing a FAL spring but there are tools and tricks for that. 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:37 PM, Sigfla said:

I kinda like the idea of locktighting the retaining plug instead. Have to use heat to remove it but that’s no biggie once in a blue moon. I wish someone has a pictorial on reinstallation of that spring and plug though so I could get an idea how tough it is. Sounds a bit like removing a FAL spring but there are tools and tricks for that. 

I had hoped the spring retainer screw was cupped to hold the spring in place. I wonder how tough it would be to reinstall with a small diameter long rod to use as a guide down the center. The FAL recoil spring tool is a sorta wrench with a hole in the middle for the guide rod to slide down while you screw in the nut. 

229051.jpg

The search does suck here. 

It’s not too bad for tension. Putting a punch thru one of the drain holes will keep it from jumping out on you. There is a little lip on the spring side of the stock retaining screw that cups the end of the spring. 

I push the spring in with one hand at the end of the receiver extension. So I compress like 4” of spring at a time and grasp it with my hand holding onto the extension. Then slide the other hand down and get 4 more inches. Then once it’s close to compressed, I push what I can in with my thumb, and insert the punch thru the drain hole to retain the spring. You’ll end up with two or three inches of spring sticking out that you can easily push in with the stock retaining screw. I screw this plug most of the way in with my thumb, then switch to the tool shown my old post to snug it up. 

Putting Loctite on this screw is an option as long as you expect to use heat to remove it. I would use a really low yield strength thread locker like the purple kind. I’d only do this if using the Urbino stock since there is a risk of it coming out on you and being trapped inside of the stock. 
A user over at AR15.com recently had issues with this part coming loose on his factory pistol grip stock. He ended up cutting the stock up to recover the parts and found the stock retaining screw was cross threaded onto the stock stay bolt. 

7 hours ago, NoTycoon said:

Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock Pocket Push Button Sling Adapter with Quick Detach Swivel Benelli M4 Steel Black.  Midway has it for $30.

I have one but removed it. It got in the way of my Velcro shell cards. I think the op had hoped for a more intervals solution like a QD cup in the stock itself. 

4 hours ago, Sigfla said:

a QD cup in the stock itself

There are QD cups that can be mounted on a hollow stock.  Just need to drill a hole in the stock and screw it together. Noveske Flush Mount Push-Button Quick Detach Universal Sling Mount for Polymer Stocks. I mounted one on my SCAR 16 and it holds like it was made there.

4 hours ago, NoTycoon said:

There are QD cups that can be mounted on a hollow stock.  Just need to drill a hole in the stock and screw it together. Noveske Flush Mount Push-Button Quick Detach Universal Sling Mount for Polymer Stocks. I mounted one on my SCAR 16 and it holds like it was made there.

Thanks NoTycoon!!! I will have a close the Noveski flush mount.