Installing a scope on SBE3

PawleysJim

I put a red dot on my SBE3 for turkey season. I came to find that at my age 66 I can't see squat.

So I have decided to put a scope on for next year, but I am trying to figure out the best way.

I do have the weaver rail installed. I assume that simple rings (1") on the weaver should work fine.

So the question is...Do I need low, medium or tall? and what dictates the correct choice.

Thanks again.

The rings need to be tall enough to position the scope's objective lens above the barrel or ventilated rib (scope not touch the barrel/rib). Without knowing your scope's objective size (32mm, 40mm, 50mm, etc) I can't give you a good answer. Maybe a local sporting goods store can show you a few examples to pick from and help with the decision. Also some scope manufactures have charts available recommending a ring height for their various scopes.

If I had to make a guess...when using a scope with a 40mm objective “medium” rings will often work.

I would be very cautious about putting a scope on a inertia recoil gun.  It will need to be very light in weight if you go this route.  There is a formula for maximum weight to be added to a Benelli shotgun.  Your inertia recoil system may be effected if the weight is exceeded, this could be magnified if your recoil spring is dirty or worn. 

Steve: The scope is a Nikon ProStaff 5 2.5-10×40. Use inexpensive 1" rings?

Remarkable: Good point. As it will be used only for is turkey, I'm guessing only 1 or 2 shots fired each hunt, six total for the season, preferably only 3 :)

Use good quality rings. With the heavier recoil from most “turkey” load you wan to make the sure the scope stays in place. Cheap rings “might” work OK, but if they let scope move at the wrong time you can bet it will be the shot right before you call in the best gobbler you've ever seen.

Remarkable: I would be interested in know what the Benelli  “maximum weight addition” formula is, and how the formula factors in the ammo's recoil impulse. Can you message more info?

Edited by Steve Rose

I have decided to cheap out. I had choices of $100++++  rings and $13 weaver quad lock...I'll be picking up the weavers today from Dicks.

As to how it'll affect the mechanics of the SBE3, I for one am not qualified to judge, But if it blows up in my face, I'll get back to you.....

• 2 weeks later...

I got er done with little pain. The scope is the Nikon as mentioned above on sale and $24 set of weaver quad lock rings took 2 minutes to put together.

The next problem is to find a 28ga auto to turn in to my go to turkey gun that won't break the bank. the SBE3 is a little heavy for runnin and gunnin ?

• 9 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, PawleysJim said:

I got er done with little pain. The scope is the Nikon as mentioned above on sale and $24 set of weaver quad lock rings took 2 minutes to put together.

The next problem is to find a 28ga auto to turn in to my go to turkey gun that won't break the bank. the SBE3 is a little heavy for runnin and gunnin ?

On 4/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, PawleysJim said:

I put a red dot on my SBE3 for turkey season. I came to find that at my age 66 I can't see squat.

So I have decided to put a scope on for next year, but I am trying to figure out the best way.

I do have the weaver rail installed. I assume that simple rings (1") on the weaver should work fine.

So the question is...Do I need low, medium or tall? and what dictates the correct choice.

Thanks again.

How did you mount your red dot on your SBE3?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Installing a scope on a shotgun can be a challenging task, especially if you're not familiar with the process. It's important to ensure that the scope is mounted securely and that it's aligned properly with the shotgun's barrel. You may want to consider seeking the assistance of a gunsmith or an experienced shooter if you're not confident in your ability to mount the scope correctly.

When it comes to selecting a rangefinder for your shotgun, the
Vortex Razor HD rangefinders are an excellent choice. They offer exceptional clarity and accuracy, even in low light conditions, and are built to withstand rugged outdoor use. Additionally, the Vortex brand has a solid reputation for producing quality optics and offering excellent customer service.

In summary, when installing a scope on your SBE3 shotgun, it's important to ensure that it's mounted securely and aligned correctly. Consider seeking professional assistance if needed. As for a rangefinder, the Vortex Razor HD rangefinders are an excellent choice due to their high quality and durability.