Benelli M4 - Aftermarket Buffer System

StrangerDanger

• 2 weeks later...

Seems once that was submitted, the item showed up.

I played with the device tonight a little on the burnt bronze M4. I'm going to try to get out and test it in the next day or so. Right now I am leaning towards the idea that the device will cause malfunctions. The device retards the rearward movement of the bolt carrier. This can complicate the cyclic action of the bolt carrier. My main concern is it seems to limit the rearward travel slightly. If the carrier doesn't travel far enough to the rear, the lifter won't cycle a round up to the chamber.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried mine two weeks ago with a variety of shells to get a feel for which spring to use.  There is a significant recoil reduction with all of the high brass loads; however, with low brass, I don't know if the third spring is even engaged (Including your stock spring, there are three springs in the recoil reduction system).  I shot a three gun match on Sunday and used the gun with the recoil reduction system.  The gun ran flawlessly, no issues with chamberring.

I only use my M4 for competition and I only run low brass ammo. The recoil reduction is not significant with low brass. Again, you feel it with high brass shells.

I will put mine up for sale. Ordering from Zahal, it will cost you $134 ($150 and 12% off/free shipping offer) and take 2 months for delivery from Israel (the hold up is through Turkey).

You can have mine for $120, shipped. 

Not a single cycling issue.  All shells ejected after firing and the bolt locked open after last shot.

The mechanism only engages when the bolt gets to about 3/4 open.  Therefore, it is at its strongest when the bolt is fully open.  There are 4 springs to select from to get your final pressure. If your load is too light for a given spring, drop down one power until it cycles consistently.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:45 AM, NoTycoon said:

I tried mine two weeks ago with a variety of shells to get a feel for which spring to use.  There is a significant recoil reduction with all of the high brass loads; however, with low brass, I don't know if the third spring is even engaged (Including your stock spring, there are three springs in the recoil reduction system).  I shot a three gun match on Sunday and used the gun with the recoil reduction system.  The gun ran flawlessly, no issues with chamberring.

I only use my M4 for competition and I only run low brass ammo. The recoil reduction is not significant with low brass. Again, you feel it with high brass shells.

I will put mine up for sale. Ordering from Zahal, it will cost you $134 ($150 and 12% off/free shipping offer) and take 2 months for delivery from Israel (the hold up is through Turkey).

You can have mine for $120, shipped. 

Did you modify your gun in order to be able to use only low brass ammo?  

On 7/22/2020 at 9:33 AM, StrangerDanger said:

No cycling issues Tycoon? 
I haven’t shot mine yet. Bureau of Land Management banned shooting due to fire danger. 

SD, Looking forward to your review of the after market buffer system for buckshot and slugs.

On 7/23/2020 at 10:48 AM, NoTycoon said:

Not a single cycling issue.  All shells ejected after firing and the bolt locked open after last shot.

The mechanism only engages when the bolt gets to about 3/4 open.  Therefore, it is at its strongest when the bolt is fully open.  There are 4 springs to select from to get your final pressure. If your load is too light for a given spring, drop down one power until it cycles consistently.

Tycoon, Thanks for posting you review.

13 hours ago, D'zaster said:

SD, Looking forward to your review of the after market buffer system for buckshot and slugs.

I hope to get out soon with these kits.

12 hours ago, Vertigofirearms said:

So how does this work with the normal stocks? The threaded stud in the stock protrudes in the rear I believe. If that is the case, I dunno if I would want the buffer to hit that.

Shouldn't be an issue. I don't think the screw inside the stock goes in very far considering how few full turns you get on the stock when installing it to the extension.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got around to testing these reducer out. No function issues were experienced even with weak valuepack 7.5 birdshot. It’s benefit was noticeable when firing slugs. I’d guess it cuts 15% or perceived recoil. We have a regular M4 to compare directly against which had similar modifications as mine. Ie: NP3 plated internal parts, Limbsaver buttpad. Same optic and light load out. Same carbon fiber magazine tube. 

I’ll need to play with the different spring weights a little to see if I can milk anymore performance out of the unit. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 1:36 PM, StrangerDanger said:

I finally got around to testing these reducer out. No function issues were experienced even with weak valuepack 7.5 birdshot. It’s benefit was noticeable when firing slugs. I’d guess it cuts 15% or perceived recoil. We have a regular M4 to compare directly against which had similar modifications as mine. Ie: NP3 plated internal parts, Limbsaver buttpad. Same optic and light load out. Same carbon fiber magazine tube. 

I’ll need to play with the different spring weights a little to see if I can milk anymore performance out of the unit. 

SD, any new news to report?