True or False: M4 won't cycle standard 2 3/4" loads.

rhodesengr

I was just in a local gun shop asking if they could get me an M4. The guy told me "M4's won't cycle on anything but heavy 3" shells. You would be better off with this Berreta 1301"

So OK, he was trying to sell me something he had on hand, and maybe the 1301 is a decent gun. But is what he said true? Will the M4 not cycle on typical 2 3/4 inch buckshot like Federal Premium Personal Defense rounds?

Anyone know where to get a new M4 these days?

2 minutes ago, DFWSFO said:

Uh, no, the guy was full of it. I’ve shot 00 buck, #4 buck, and slugs through mine. All 2 3/4 loads. The M4 does like to be broken in with full strength loads, so just avoid the low recoil stuff at first. 

How many rounds of the heavy stuff is enough to break it in?

I hope to pick up a 1301 this weekend. I wouldn't worry there are plenty of vids out there attesting to the M4's function with low brass 8's. A lot of nice (tighter fit) guns need a little break in. I would suggest both guns are excellent. The M4 has a reputation for being light on recoil. The 1301 is considered very fast cycling. The 1301 has a decent loading port already cut (would still open it if I was a 3 gunner). The M4 might need port work if you are a 3 gunner and you want to quad load.  

1 hour ago, Sigfla said:

I hope to pick up a 1301 this weekend. I wouldn't worry there are plenty of vids out there attesting to the M4's function with low brass 8's. A lot of nice (tighter fit) guns need a little break in. I would suggest both guns are excellent. The M4 has a reputation for being light on recoil. The 1301 is considered very fast cycling. The 1301 has a decent loading port already cut (would still open it if I was a 3 gunner). The M4 might need port work if you are a 3 gunner and you want to quad load.  

There's nothing wrong with the 1301 after the fixes to the bolt release... considered getting one myself but found a sbs m4 for a good price.  I'm not a 3 gunner but it makes sense if you want a gas powered 3 gun shotgun

1 hour ago, ClackClackBAM said:

My shoulder already hurts just reading this.

What will happen if I just regular slugs through it, e.g. Federal 2 3/4" low recoil tactical loads? Will my gun not break in?

I lean on the side of not overthinking things like this. But as it is meant to explain I think is that it's better to start off not using the very light load stuff until the gun has kind of worked it's way in.

I think you should be just fine using the load that you mentioned above for "break in." 

Okay cool, thanks!

I just got back from shooting it for the first time and I gotta say, I'm very impressed. Ran a combination of the loads I mentioned above, along with some federal buckshot. No issues whatsoever. What really impressed me though was when I ran Remington Magnum 3" shells through it, the recoil was not much worse than the other slugs. I was preparing for the pain those things normally cause but when I pulled the trigger, I hardly felt anything. That ARGO system is AMAZING! I was actually able to enjoy the fireball instead of wincing from pain lol

I started off with the cheap walmart winchester loads and my new M1014 ran like a champ from the get go. Followed up with 3" slugs and had a lot of fun.  

Recently installed the Urbino stock, holosun green circle dot sight and received Carrier comp 7rd Ti tube color matched midnight bronze. I'll install later today and post to the picture thread.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Scout_21 said:

There's nothing wrong with the 1301 after the fixes to the bolt release... considered getting one myself but found a sbs m4 for a good price.  I'm not a 3 gunner but it makes sense if you want a gas powered 3 gun shotgun

I picked mine up today. Its a Gen 1 and I thought I was buying a Gen 2. No big deal. The nicer $60 fix to the bolt latch is available on backorder and Beretta has a $10 shroud fix as well on their web store. I bought the Beretta shroud. To be honest I thought the malfunction would be super easy to replicate but you really have to smash the latch button hard to do it. The $10 dollar fix should be a legit solution. I do wish the gun had the Gen 2 screw in chokes though. Compared to the M4 it is lighter which is ok for certain purposes but that lightness makes it feel like an airsoft toy compared to the M4.  

• Upvote 1

On the H2O I built, I intentionally tried to short stroke the action by holding it to my side and allowing the shotgun to buck backwards during recoil. Firing the Valuepack Winchester and Federal 7.5 and 8 shot birdshot functioned flawlessly. This would absolutely choke most semi autos unless he action springs were changed to operate with reduced recoil ammunition. The ARGO system does a wonderful job at regulating pressure and keeping the cyclic action functioning. 

Granted the H2O has a wider range of operation capabilities from lower friction loss.