Recoil pad melting

socalduck

So I’ve had my SBE 2 for 15 years. Solid gun and has never failed me.

just went to pull it out of the safe and the recoil pad is melting.  It’s sticky and if you rub it it smears black goo that is horribly sticky.

i cleaned it at the end of duck season as I’ve done since I bought it, same oils I’ve always used and same safe I’ve had since I bought it.

has anyone else ever seen this?  Yes, I’ve had it a long time but not stoked on having to buy a new recoil pad.

Weird. I have seen older buttpads made of vulcanized rubber start to deteriorate from age/use. Might be a good time to install a Limbsaver pad on the stock and benefit from the reduced perceived recoil. I'd source one of their Airtech models. If it is a synthetic or wooden stock, the 10810 model should fit.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1999/2905/files/2018_Recoil_Pad_Cross_Reference.pdf?14668201401536722633

I've seen several recoil pads (especially the early Limbsaver pads) that turned to goo at a certain point in their life. Reasons tossed around were bad rubber compound, reaction to the carpet glue used in some gun safes, and reaction to oil - but I've not yet seen a Benelli factory pad go soft. Maybe 15 years is the life span? I have a factory Comfortech pad on my personal M2 that is pushing 10 years old and still in good shape.

All things considered 15 years is a good run - if the recoil pad gets a good bit of use. I'd probably good with the same type of pad and hope for another 15.

14 hours ago, socalduck said:

just went to pull it out of the safe and the recoil pad is melting.  It’s sticky and if you rub it it smears black goo that is horribly sticky.

i cleaned it at the end of duck season as I’ve done since I bought it, same oils I’ve always used and same safe I’ve had since I bought it.

has anyone else ever seen this?  Yes, I’ve had it a long time but not stoked on having to buy a new recoil pad.

When ordering a new Comfortech you will need to pay close attention to the length of the pad.  Very late into the SBE 2 life cycle there was a change in the length of the stock.  Thus you will need to insure that the 1 & 3/8” pad is the factory NEW  pad that came with the older model Comfortech stocks. The 1” pad is the factory NEW pad that comes with the newer model Comfortech stocks for a 14 & 3/8” LOP or length of pull.

17 hours ago, socalduck said:

Duck, I've got a brand new Limbsaver with the AirTech that I bought for my M4 only to find out it wouldn't fit. Pulled my BassPro receipt and paid $39+tax. I'll ship it to ya for $25 if you want it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 11:40 AM, remarkable said:

When ordering a new Comfortech you will need to pay close attention to the length of the pad.  Very late into the SBE 2 life cycle there was a change in the length of the stock.  Thus you will need to insure that the 1 & 3/8” pad is the factory NEW  pad that came with the older model Comfortech stocks. The 1” pad is the factory NEW pad that comes with the newer model Comfortech stocks for a 14 & 3/8” LOP or length of pull.

Thanks, I noticed that when I was looking to order a new one.

15 years is definitely getting my money's worth out of it so I'm not too bummed out.

There was something done in the 2000's that made all these things degradable.  I had 20 pairs of echo shoes do it.  They replaced them and the replacements did it.

All the Microsoft mice and keyboards from that time had a soft plastic coating.  All degraded.

I have 8 JBL LSR 4328 Studio monitors and the 4312 subwoofer that had this rubberrized coating on them and they turned to goo.  My 2002 Landcruiser armrests just starting breaking down.  Really is ticking me off.

It turns into an absolute mess.  The Navy's Bates shoes soles all do it.  You can find a ton of pix showing high ranking guys at Navy ceremonies in socks.  They don't wear those white shoes that much, few times really in their careers.  They put them on for a ceremony and they chunk apart having only been worn a few times.

First I heard of buttpads doing it, but it don't surprise me.  May be done in an attempt to make them bio degradable...

Edited by les_garten
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

i have a 2006 sbe2 and last october i took it out of the safe and had the same sticky mess you described . i looked for a new one and was told i would have to order and wait a few months for the replacement . it was duck season i couldnt wait so mi got out the cling wrap and made a cover out of that and took some with me to make another if needed out in the blind /shot all season like that and it worked .