Considering M4 for home defense

dimitrig

My wife loves my ear pros next to the bed stuck over her pink salt lamps. They’re the electronic kind that amplify low sounds and muffle gunfire. The goal being not to eliminate my hearing sense with a bump in the night situation. She has a set on her lamp too. She’s proficient with her Glock 19, but not so much with the AR or Benelli. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Milspec said:

The sbr's are maneuverable but if you uncork one of those without ear pro indoors.....goodbye hearing.  Heck even 16" easily permanent hearing damage.  It's hard to find the balance between the perfect tool and retaining your hearing in this type of situation.  Of, course it's better than becoming a victim.

And that's why I have silencers on everything I might have to shoot indoors.

Edited by No. 6

2 hours ago, No. 6 said:

And that's why I have silencers on everything I might have to shoot indoors.

On a pistol that's fine.  On a long gun it's still typically not hearing safe, especially in doors.  Of course you can use subsonics but that will take away from the effectiveness.  Then your almost back in the realm of pistol power.

6 hours ago, Milspec said:

On a pistol that's fine.  On a long gun it's still typically not hearing safe, especially in doors.  Of course you can use subsonics but that will take away from the effectiveness.  Then your almost back in the realm of pistol power.

On 9mm or 45ACP carbine, works just fine.  Agree on a rifle caliber, still too loud.  The exception of course is 300blk.

HK VP9+B&T suppressor, AR9+AAC TiRant.  And that's the bedroom guns.

This is my go to for night time bumps. I’ve shaved grams of weight off at a time here and there to make it handy. It’s cut and pinned right at 16”. Lithium aluminum receiver set. Magnesium KMR rail. Titanium barrel nut. Noveske skinny barrel. Inconel gas tube. JP Enterprises Los mass bolt carrier. B. E. Meyers flash suppressor. It’s right at the high five pound range.

A suppressor would be great, but things start getting long fast with them. or you end up with a SBR and have to locate rounds that’ll be effective at slower velocities achieved.

NFdLdR1.jpg
odc0pA9.jpg
CkMYYnM.jpg

Yep! I think I have that same mount on an AR10 build. Scalarworks is the best mount out there. Does everything my Sphur mounts do at half the weight. 

I used to use Larue mounts until they banned me from buying items from them. I had an international client select my shop as the drop ship location for an ITAR compliant export license. Larue didn’t like that. So they made it so I couldn’t buy from them anymore. At first I was upset since I really like some of their products and all the calls to tech support were blown off.

Then I realized there are better options out there and never looked back. That dumb choice has probably cost them well over a hundred grand in product. 

• 2 months later...

I’m a rookie to the M4 as well, but I’m glad I bought it and would encourage others to give it a try. It is heavy, yet well balanced. It does have a unique operating system, but don’t let that deter you. The recoil is extremely tolerable and your wife would have no problem withstanding repeated firing of 00 buckshot. A word of caution:  Once you shoot it and determine (immediately) that it’s a very manageable gun, you’ll be at the range every chance you get. Seriously, it’s fun to shoot. 

On 6/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, Milspec said:

The sbr's are maneuverable but if you uncork one of those without ear pro indoors.....goodbye hearing.  Heck even 16" easily permanent hearing damage.  It's hard to find the balance between the perfect tool and retaining your hearing in this type of situation.  Of, course it's better than becoming a victim.

Yep.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:08 AM, CobraBG said:

I will agree that training is very important. Both you and your wife should pursue that. The M4 is an excellent choice for a home defense shotgun. It's probably a better choice than a pump because of inexperienced people short stroking the pump action and not feeding the next round in a rush. A semi auto would be more reliable when shooting quickly.

As Stranger and Nails have said.  Consider a handgun as well. The M4 is only good if you have it with you which is not very likely all the time as you move around your property.  A handgun is easier to be carried always. There are many small 9mm semi autos to choose from. Spend time at a range where they also sell and you can try different models with your wife. Select what feels right and seems intuitive to shoot. I would suggest looking at the Sig P365 MS (manual safety) which is small and easy to carry around,. Another good choice is the Glock 19, though it's larger. It just depends on what you like and what she likes.

Regardless of what you decide, training and understanding Situational Awareness (like Don said) is very important. You do not want a weapon to become a liability instead of an asset. 

GREAT ADVICE ! I have the M4, a Glock 19 with a green laser and 500 L light, a Glock 42 (.380) and just got Sig 365. Love them all and each has a diff purpose