Need advice to sell Benelli M4

Gs1978

Hello everyone, 

I just bought my first shotgun Benelli M4 couple weeks ago which I want to sell it now. Haven't used it yet since all shooting ranges are closed in my area here in northern CA due to Covid 19. Since, it is my first firearm I ever own and don't know which site should I post it to sell it so if anyone can please advice me I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks! 

My $.02 - don't sell it, or any firearm, ever. In some states (particularly California, I imagine), it might carry legal responsibilities you might not want to deal with. Also, imagine when it really hits the fan - you might eventually trade firearms for food or other survival needs, so you might consider it an investment for later. Last, the M4 is a niche shotgun that you know goes for top dollar, so it'd be like selling a Porsche - it's possible you won't get your full money back for it even if you haven't fired it. 

All that considered, and you still want to sell it, try Gunbroker.com, I see private sales on there sometimes. Some things to consider: you'll have to set up an account and to sell, complete the extended verification. Once that's done, Gunbroker charges a final value fee. Here is how you calculate your Final Value Fee: Take the first $250 of your final value and multiply it by 6%. If your item sold for $250 or less this is your Final Value Fee. If your final value was more than $250, take the additional amount over $250 and multiply it by 3.5%. You might try selling it privately (locally), but again, I imagine that's a real PITA in California and the West Coast in general. 

Not really a PITA to PPT in Ca. Buying is another matter.... have to broker thru an FFL, usually a local gun shop of the seller's choosing. He gets his money up front and the buyer has to wait the ten days which has expanded to anywhere from two weeks to three weeks because of the current backlog of processing. If the buyer fails the background check, it's up to him to straighten it out.  The buyer is usually the one who pays all fees. But that can be negotiable between the two parties.

I agree about selling a firearm, Iv'e regretted any one Iv'e ever sold unless it was to finance the purchase of one that I wanted more.

OP;  calguns.net forum would be a place you could put it on the market. Lots of guns are bought and sold and there is a lot of traffic constantly.

But my advice, if you're not in dire straits, keep the gun.

I would also suggest that you keep it. Being a M4 it will only increase in value. You may not be able to replace it for the price you paid. If you need (vs. want) to sell it either take a beating selling it to a local gun store, find a friend who is willing to pay a good price or post it on site like Gunbroker. You may be able to get what you paid if not even more based on the current market.

I've sold on Gunbroker and always ship and transfer through my local FFL. They charge me $50 to do the transfer and cover shipping to another FFL for the buyer. This way it's legal and the transfer of the serial number is properly recorded (proof you no longer own it and it was legally sold). I would encourage dealing with any sales/transfers through an FFL whether it's a private sale or sold online. Again... it's a M4... don't sell it!!

Edited by CobraBG

6 hours ago, Gs1978 said:

Hello everyone, 

I just bought my first shotgun Benelli M4 couple weeks ago which I want to sell it now. Haven't used it yet since all shooting ranges are closed in my area here in northern CA due to Covid 19. Since, it is my first firearm I ever own and don't know which site should I post it to sell it so if anyone can please advice me I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks! 

My friend Jon lives in the San Diego region and is actively looking for an M4. Can you message me your cell? I'll have him reach out.

Edited by ClackClackBAM

Thank you everyone for all the replies. I will look on Gun broker and Calguns.net as you guys have suggested if I can get good price since I just bought it and never fired it yet. But, definitely will not sell it for much lower price, rather I'll upgrade it with extended mag tube with other parts to make it 922r compliance and keep it. Once again, I do appreciate ypu guys for all the kind help and advice. 

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I have a Benelli M4 with the tactical stock not the fixed one. I am considering selling mine also. My wife and I recently had our third child and after being medically retired from the Marines and finishing my degree COVID has made finding new jobs worse than ever so we could use the money. I love my shotgun and I carried one almost identical to it in the Corps while in Afghanistan. If anyone is interested in one from South Carolina I would consider selling mine. Email is [email protected] and I can message my cell 

Edited by MEllis1376

2 hours ago, MEllis1376 said:

I have a Benelli M4 with the tactical stock not the fixed one. I am considering selling mine also. My wife and I recently had our third child and after being medically retired from the Marines and finishing my degree COVID has made finding new jobs worse than ever so we could use the money. I love my shotgun and I carried one almost identical to it in the Corps while in Afghanistan. If anyone is interested in one from South Carolina I would consider selling mine. Email is [email protected] and I can message my cell 

I thank you for your Service......I wish could help