Scalarworks Sync with RMR or SRO ?

SnidelyWhiplash

OK, the many great reviews here have convinced me to give the Scalarworks Sync mount a try on my M4. I’m not a big fan of a “busy” sight picture but so many positive comments here must mean that owners are happy.

I notice that the Scalarworks is offered with the RMR or SRO optic. I’m not sure what the difference is between the two or what the Scalarworks mount will mean for the sight picture of either one. Any advice or suggestions?

Edited by SnidelyWhiplash

The SRO was developed by Trijicon to provide a purpose-built pistol red dot for competition, which the RMR is not. That’s why the SRO has a broader FOV and, most importantly for pistol users, the ability to change the battery without removing the entire optic (something you have to do with the RMR). However, Trijicon’s own reps have gone on record to say that the SRO isn’t built to the same durability standards as the RMR, since the taller glass is more prone to breakage.  

Before you make the call on an optic and mount, I would encourage you think about what your preferred sight picture is. I have a collapsible stock on my M4, and I find that with it set to my preferred LOP, the factory irons (which I believe the Sync can co-witness with) are actually too low for my taste. This is why I have an Aimpoint T2 on an ADM low mount using the factory pic rail. I find that that gives me the perfect sight picture. YMMV. 

• Upvote 4

Thank for the replies; I didn’t realize the SRO was a less rugged optic so I guess that makes the RMR the best choice.

DFWSFO: I considered other optics on the factory pic rail but was concerned with the comments on this forum about the weakness of the pic rail given its sight groove. I also wanted access to the iron sights in case of a failure of the optic. Has the factory pic rail been an issue for you? Does your mount have a quick detach?

Perfect timing for this thread. I’m considering the same thing. I recently purchased the Scalarworks rail mount as well as both a SRO 5MOA and RMR 3.25MOA to determine which I prefer on my M4. I should be receiving all three by the end of the weekend and then I’ll come back with my thoughts when I have some time with the setup. I also have an Aimpooint H2 to compare both to as well. Should be a fun weekend!. 

Snidely -

DFWSFO makes 2 great points.  The first being the diff between the RMR and SRO.  The second might not be as obvious.  If you have a collapsible stock, the eyeball to sights look angle changes as you shorten the stock and thus the length of pull; all due to the fact that the recoil tube is angled down unlike an AR platform recoil tube that is parallel to the barrell.  I only repeat this on behalf of DFWSFO because he makes a great point that shouldn't be lost on you.  Others on this site use the RMR and Sync combo with collapsible stocks so you make get more opinions here.

I sue that combo on my M4 but a I run with a fixed stock.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SnidelyWhiplash said:

Thank for the replies; I didn’t realize the SRO was a less rugged optic so I guess that makes the RMR the best choice.

DFWSFO: I considered other optics on the factory pic rail but was concerned with the comments on this forum about the weakness of the pic rail given its sight groove. I also wanted access to the iron sights in case of a failure of the optic. Has the factory pic rail been an issue for you? Does your mount have a quick detach?

So, I use a Mesa Tactical side saddle, which replaces the factory pic rail. My Aimpoint Mount is QD.

However, FFT is making a mil-spec factory pic rail replacement that could meet your needs. 

Edited by DFWSFO

MRO is better but it’s not really a micro sight. Two different animals. I went Holosun 570 and love it. Ideally I want as big a lens that’s rugged enough I can get. I don’t think the SRO is in any way weak either. Imho a pistol slide likely puts more stress on these things than a heavy long gun. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, StrangerDanger said:

This thread needs pics.

Thank you for posting those. If the SRO were more durable that’s exactly the setup I would get. As it is I’m happy with the height of the stock ghost ring sights so I’m leaning towards the Scalarworks SYNC and RMR, even though it means putting up with the busy co-witness sight picture I’m not fond of. But I’m still debating between that and DFWSFO’s Aimpoint T2 setup.

Edited by SnidelyWhiplash

31 minutes ago, SnidelyWhiplash said:

Thank you for posting those. If the SRO were more durable that’s exactly the setup I would get. As it is I’m happy with the height of the stock ghost ring sights so I’m leaning towards the Scalarworks SYNC and RMR, even though it means putting up with the busy co-witness sight picture I’m not fond of. But I’m still debating between that and DFWSFO’s Aimpoint T2 setup.

@SnidelyWhiplash here are a couple of photos of my setup. Always difficult to get decent sight shots, but hope it’s helpful. Note that I run my C-stock in the middle position.

26E94C76-47FD-4E0E-A90C-6F9A5A7FA47C.jpeg

487D2BE5-D976-4A3B-AA7C-FB7FB5AE09E5.jpeg

Edited by DFWSFO

DFWSFO,

Just wanted to offer my sincerest thanks for your help and taking the time to post on this subject and offer an alternative. I appreciate your willingness to spend some time and trying to help me resolve my concern. Thank you.

I decided to go with the ScalerWorks mount and the RMO6. My M4’s primary role is home defense and although I don’t like the co-witness view it just seemed to make more sense given my desire to have the iron sights readily and immediately accessible In the event of an (albeit rare) optic failure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Of course! At the end of the day, you’ve got to set up your weapon the way that it’s going to be most practical for you. In my case, because I run the stock in the middle position, I would not be able to get good sight picture (I’m also, shall we say, vertically efficient at 5’6” ?). Scalarworks makes great stuff and the RMR is a solid optic (have one on my Glock!). 

• Upvote 1

When I replaced the M4 factory rail with the Scalarworks for my RMR the factory screws came out easily. Just make sure to use the correct size hollow ground screwdriver to avoid stripping the screw heads.

Edited by CobraBG
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ruger said:

question, for those who have replaced their mounts, are the screws peened over? what are the chances of messing up the threads upon removing the original mount? the last thing I want to do is pull the threads and try to helicoil such a small area.

The top rail screws are easily removed. They are only around 12 inch pounds of torque with no thread locker. They are not staked in place.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:02 PM, SnidelyWhiplash said:

Birdog19, I do have the telescoping stock but I find it uncomfortable at anything other than the maximum extension while dressed without-winter-coat casual. The ghost ring iron sights are not in a bad position for me but I don’t feel like anything slightly higher would be either.

I'm with you as well. I don't mind full extension, and actually prefer it.  Strangely enough, I'm only about 7' 8" tall and enjoy that LOP.

16 minutes ago, MNtadpole said:

So speaking of RMRs on the M4s, what is everyone's thoughts of the size of the dot? I'm looking to eventually do the Scalarworks sync/rmr, but I need to decide on a MOA size.  I'm used to using a Vortex SPARC 2 with a (I think) 2 MOA Dot.    

Smaller the dot, the more precision can be had since it obstructs the target less. Larger dots are easier to find in the optic. Personally, I go with the smallest dot I can get. I’ve never had a hard time locating the dot inside an RMR on the Benelli. 

30 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Smaller the dot, the more precision can be had since it obstructs the target less. Larger dots are easier to find in the optic. Personally, I go with the smallest dot I can get. I’ve never had a hard time locating the dot inside an RMR on the Benelli. 

Makes sense.  Its annoying that there aren't many places near where I live that actually stock a lot of product so you can get hands-on experience with the products prior to purchase...smh

I also have found it hard to find local inventory to "test out" before making a decision. Stranger makes a good point on the dot size. The RMR is available with a 1.0, 3.25 and a 6.5 moa size dot. I have the 3.25 and find it is perfect for my needs. It's easy to pick up quickly and it isn't so big that it compromises accuracy. I know some have preferred the 6.5 for quicker target acquisition. It really is just personal preference based on your intended usage. Good luck with your choice. :cool: