Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'de like to know as well, I've searched everywhere for the best 5-6 shell side saddle for the M4, If I find out I'll let ya know and if you do, let me know!

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gents -

I had a Mesa Tactical rail/side saddle combo installed for a while but found the shells would fall out upon discharge if I had them installed upside down which is my preferred way of carrying extra rounds.  It's also pretty heavy.  I got rid of it and went with the very simplistic method in the below link.  Vang Comp uses a plate with velcro attached that is mounted to the receiver.  The shell carrier is then installed on the plate with velcro.  The plate is only available for Rem and Moss shotguns, so like others, I just bought the shell carrier (from Brownells) and used adhesive backed velcro to install the loop portion on the receiver.  You'll need to cut a small hole in the velcro to accommodate the trigger housing pin.  I don't have as much experience running and gunning with this system as others on this forum but they seem to like as the shell retention is really good.

https://www.vangcomp.com/product/vcs-detachable-side-ammunition-carrier/

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried a bunch of them and found I hate them. 
1. Made the shotgun very uncomfortable when slung. 
2. Added quite a bit of weight which slows down how fast you can swing the barrel from target to target. 
3. Requires the use of the cherry picking method for loading one round at a time vs. belt mounted speed loaders where you can grab and stuff 2,3,4 shells at a time depending on skills and hand size. 
4. Can limit other accessories. Such as if you’re stuck using their top rail replacement. I do have concerns about mounting pounds of accessories which are attached by five tiny top rail screws. Any impacts to the the mount is going to be transferred to those screws. 
 

The only one I kind of liked was the Mesa one for the buttstock. It only works with the pistol grip and Standard stocks. It is a real PITA to install for the average user since it replace the sling plate. Having the weight at the rear of the shotgun was less of an issue. 
 

If I had to have shells on the receiver, I’d use one of the Velcro type. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

I tried a bunch of them and found I hate them. 
1. Made the shotgun very uncomfortable when slung. 
2. Added quite a bit of weight which slows down how fast you can swing the barrel from target to target. 
3. Requires the use of the cherry picking method for loading one round at a time vs. belt mounted speed loaders where you can grab and stuff 2,3,4 shells at a time depending on skills and hand size. 
4. Can limit other accessories. Such as if you’re stuck using their top rail replacement. I do have concerns about mounting pounds of accessories which are attached by five tiny top rail screws. Any impacts to the the mount is going to be transferred to those screws. 
 

The only one I kind of liked was the Mesa one for the buttstock. It only works with the pistol grip and Standard stocks. It is a real PITA to install for the average user since it replace the sling plate. Having the weight at the rear of the shotgun was less of an issue. 
 

If I had to have shells on the receiver, I’d use one of the Velcro type. 

 I’m not normally in favor of side saddles for all of the reasons you mentioned above but I’m open to trying a Velcro version. Any idea where to find the one I mentioned above?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ClackClackBAM said:

 I’m not normally in favor of side saddles for all of the reasons you mentioned above but I’m open to trying a Velcro version. Any idea where to find the one I mentioned above?

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/shotgun-shell-holders/detachable-side-ammo-carrier-prod31882.aspx

Clacker -

Brownells shows the VCS shell carrier In-Stock at $21.99.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Birdog19 said:

It's funny you should mention that.. I literally JUST ordered it before coming back to check this page. It doesn't look like they have a mounting option for the M4 yet, but I figure I can just get some industrial strength velcro then attach it to the receiver. The M4 is anodized aluminum so I would be very surprised if the glue on the velcro backing did any damage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ClackClackBAM said:

It's funny you should mention that.. I literally JUST ordered it before coming back to check this page. It doesn't look like they have a mounting option for the M4 yet, but I figure I can just get some industrial strength velcro then attach it to the receiver. The M4 is anodized aluminum so I would be very surprised if the glue on the velcro backing did any damage. 

As I mentioned on my post above, I just used the velcro loop portion with adhesive on the receiver and called it good to go -- like you suggested here.  I have not removed the portion from the receiver but from older posts on this topic, I doubt there would be a problem.  Good news is, the velcro on the receiver hasn't shown any signs of peeling off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Birdog19 said:

As I mentioned on my post above, I just used the velcro loop portion with adhesive on the receiver and called it good to go -- like you suggested here.  I have not removed the portion from the receiver but from older posts on this topic, I doubt there would be a problem.  Good news is, the velcro on the receiver hasn't shown any signs of peeling off.

Perfect! I'll head to the hardware store to get some strong backing. Brownell's shipps pretty fast so I'll most likely have it before the end of the week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 11:22 AM, Birdog19 said:

Gents -

I had a Mesa Tactical rail/side saddle combo installed for a while but found the shells would fall out upon discharge if I had them installed upside down which is my preferred way of carrying extra rounds.  It's also pretty heavy.  I got rid of it and went with the very simplistic method in the below link.  Vang Comp uses a plate with velcro attached that is mounted to the receiver.  The shell carrier is then installed on the plate with velcro.  The plate is only available for Rem and Moss shotguns, so like others, I just bought the shell carrier (from Brownells) and used adhesive backed velcro to install the loop portion on the receiver.  You'll need to cut a small hole in the velcro to accommodate the trigger housing pin.  I don't have as much experience running and gunning with this system as others on this forum but they seem to like as the shell retention is really good.

https://www.vangcomp.com/product/vcs-detachable-side-ammunition-carrier/

Now that one looks good, less weight as well!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 11:30 PM, geno0506 said:

Now that one looks good, less weight as well!

 

I ended up buying a spare card then mounting it to my gun. While I like it because it's so low profile, I am having a hard time justifying why I need the extra weight. Plus I sorta prefer the look of the gun without it on there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...